Sometimes, by some people 38%  38%  [ 12 ]
Rarely 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Never or almost never 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 32

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 6:25 am

To what extent are / were you given the message by those around you that you can / could fix your symptoms if only you try / tried (harder)?

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 8:43 am

I was always led to believe that I was just a bad kid. If I listened more, tried harder, wasn't so cocky, etc., none of which was an accurate take. So naturally I came to believe I was just screwed up, and years of self-hatred came after. Fortunately I came out of that. I bet there are many who don't.

kaytie
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2008, 9:31 am

especially by my sister whom i suspect might be an aspie....she implies all the time, that i could snap out of this thing...wth

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2008, 9:36 am

Greentea wrote:
To what extent are / were you given the message by those around you that you can / could fix your symptoms if only you try / tried (harder)?

i'd suggest changing "symptoms" to "traits"

samantca
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2008, 9:55 am

All the time. Ive been bugged about this by teachers, employers, parents... Therapists... You name it. This is one of the things that made me depressed i think. I felt like no matter how hard i tried i could never change myself to become what was expected of me, and everyone always kept telling me i wasnt good enough..

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 10:28 am

Shayne, I agree. Traits is a much better word.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 11:31 am

I've stopped caring, eight years ago. No relentlessly normal person is going to tell me to hide any part of myself. :twisted:

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 11:50 am

You must be very rich, then. I find that I'd be able to behave my natural self only if I had enough money to pay for expensive private health care, own my dwelling, not have to work, etc. etc. With my financial situation, I need to make sure I don't rub the wrong way the doctors, nurses, bosses, co-workers, landlord, etc. etc.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 12:03 pm

Greentea wrote:
You must be very rich, then.

I've heard that response before, and it's not really a fair one.

Some of us can't help not being able to hide things, whether we're rich or not. A situation necessitating (or seeming to necessitate) some trait doesn't mean all of us will be able to get that trait in that situation, whether or not it's "required".

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 12:26 pm

I can't hide them either. But my life is a constant, frantic attempt to hide them as much as possible. I've no choice in this, I'm not rich.

My landlord is coming to "have a word" with me in a few minutes. If I don't frantically try to appear as normal as possible, I could be in the streets next week.