Talking about people in front of them 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Chewing lips/fingers/fingernails 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Other 25%  25%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 61

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 10:17 am

I'm interested to see what a lot of people on here do which is autistic. If you do more than one of the options then please pick the one you do most, thank you! :)

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 10:25 am

Flippin heck can't think at the moment I'm just as interested.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Nov 2007, 10:48 am

Now the most noticeable thing about me is stimming. When I was a kid interrupting and intruding upon
other peoples conversations was my most glaring issue. Now I just tend to isolate.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 10:51 am

Amen, Richie. After a lifetime of thinking if you have a good idea, you should get it out there, I, too have learned to just shut up and go isolate. I can't take the eye rolling, the mutual looks, the patronizing, the blow off or the shine on any more.

Merle

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:10 am

Either inability to maintain eye contact or being unable to figure out when it's appropriate to start or enter a conversation without interrupting someone else.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:17 am

i picked stimming, but my nt bf said its a mixture between chewing on fingers, stimming, and talking in front of ppl, and sometimes interrupting haha...

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:19 am

Havin obsessive routines.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:20 am

figureing out what to say after saying 'hello', with most people, I am done just then. I have learned to nod and do that little grimace that passes for a smile .

(Unless they want to hear about an interesting thing that happened to me several years ago when I was in a similar situation and this happened then that happened and that was like when I was 12 when I had something similar happen but I don't know if that should be included because it isn't EXACTLY like it is now because of this situation and then that situation was going on and did I tell you about the historical ramifications that would slightly tweek that situation and then. . . .)

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:30 am

By 'chewing on fingers', do you mean chewing the dead skin around the nails?

If so, I've always thought it was normal to do that and I've always done that as far as I can remember. I've got small callouses on the sides of my fingernails because of it. I used to bite them raw, but don't anymore; too painful.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:40 am

scumsuckingdouchebag wrote:
By 'chewing on fingers', do you mean chewing the dead skin around the nails?

If so, I've always thought it was normal to do that and I've always done that as far as I can remember. I've got small callouses on the sides of my fingernails because of it. I used to bite them raw, but don't anymore; too painful.

I bit my nails up to to quick and the skin around my nails until age and usage dulled my teeth so I could not get the sharp bite that cut the nail. That is the only reason I stopped biting my fingernails in my thirties. I used to also bite my toe nails and snip that skin around them too with my teeth back when I was a child and flexable enough to do that.

Merle

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:56 am

Well, I have limited energy for social stuff so I get worn out pretty easily and need recuperation time.

Also, I'm pretty into my obsessions and can get pedantic.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 12:00 pm

I don't know what my most autistic trait is. And since others are not aware, I guess I'll never know.

I imagine that it is not knowing what is expected from me in a given situation.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 12:06 pm

Oh gosh, I can't decide! I started to say interrupting was the worst on that list, but then again I do tend to say things directly to people's face that I probably shouldn't. Like I told my 19 year old niece recently that she wears her t-shirts too tight because she has Dolly Parton boobs and a small waist. I told her that in front of everyone and embarrassed her. But being impulsive is also a big part of being ADD/ADHD.

I do everything on your list but one autistic thing I do that isn't on your list is I stare a lot... excessively.

I'll give the list more thought and then I'll vote. I'll probably pick "other" for the staring thing.

out of control, & at times
hard to handle.
But if you can't handle
me at my worst,
then you sure as hell
don't deserve me
at my best.
-Marilyn Monroe

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 12:08 pm

I checked "interruption", which is part of lack of timing in an unstructured conversation. So, the opposite of interrupting is never entering the conversation at all or doing it awkwardly like raising my hand or waiting to be asked to join in.

This doesn't intrude on daily life though. Having trouble transitioning and dealing with unstructured time is the most troublesome part of my life.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 12:09 pm

Ooooh wait... the obsessions. Hmmmm.....

out of control, & at times
hard to handle.
But if you can't handle
me at my worst,
then you sure as hell
don't deserve me
at my best.
-Marilyn Monroe

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Nov 2007, 12:17 pm

I don't know. The topic most brought up by others is how I don't talk in group settings.

xx Dan Monster