Unite Globally and sign The National Autistic Petition

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 6:29 am

I feel autism is a world wide issue and thats why I have linked up with The National Autistic Society - We need to unite Globally - I'm the NZ Aspie Link - please Sign the petition "Think differently about autism"

Go to: Aspergers Parallel Planet - see link below (signature)

Last edited by asplanet on 12 Nov 2007, 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 9:24 am

I'm not comfortable giving that much information.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 4:22 pm

I totally understand not wanting to give to much information away, because of the prejudgment and stigma that often happens.

But to raise awareness we may have to come forward, even if its under a flase name/ID, because education really is the key to a better society where we can help eliminate, as much as possible the
the misconceptions by the NT's

I totally agree with Tony Attwood, we all need to work together. I feel the problem still lies with big organizations, over structure, fighting for funding…instead of dealing with the real problems and working with the people who can really help. We truly need to all come together, otherwise people on the spectrum are left to try and fit the puzzle together themselves. I also feel with so many different individuals working on different aspects of the spectrum, it is quite disjointed and hard for an out sided to get an overall view of the whole picture.

Sometimes it can feel like an impossible / endless tasks to convince people that you or your children may be on the Autism Spectrum and then where on the spectrum another huge task. I myself have felt at times, it’s like trying to achieve the impossible just to get diagnosed, let alone know what to do and where to go.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 3:53 pm

So many of us feel like the outsider looking in, unable to reveal our true selves...

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 9:16 pm

The National Autistic Society (NAS) is the UK’s leading charity for people affected by autism and have taken a lead role in changing societies views on autism, thats why its important we all support and back this petition, not just from UK - but worldwide from around the globa - as we are so much stronger together.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 5:32 pm

and sorry for getting a little obsessive about this - but really do feel its a world wide issue and we all need to get on broad, if not for us for the next generation....

By signing up to the petition, you are helping to ask the Government to:

Support The National Autistic Society’s ‘Think differently about autism’ campaign. A lack of understanding of autism, including Asperger syndrome, too often leads to discrimination and poor outcomes for the people it affects. We call on the UK Government to join us in our efforts to raise awareness and to demonstrate a commitment to promote the rights of people living with autism by ratifying the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.

Specifically they should:
• raise awareness and understanding of autism
• tackle discrimination against those with autism
• ensure adequate training for all those who come into contact with people living with autism.

You can also read more about the UN Convention online at www.un.org/esa/socdev/enable/conventioninfo

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 7:31 pm

If you are in the UK there is a photographic exhibition touring the country by NAS and think differently. They give you an information pack, which included among other things the petition form. I would recommend going to see that anyway but if you want more information about what they do, just email them and they will send it to you.

They are a registered charity I they are bound by data protection laws. I've not received any junk from them in fact I haven’t even received they usual auto respondent mail for signing using their services as you can uncheck that box too.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 7:28 pm

I know what you mean about sites that send lots of junk mail, I never stay with them.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 4:55 am

Globally Unite - Sign the petition - The National Autistic Society - Think differently about autism
http://www.think-differently.org.uk/sig ... ition.aspx

So far over 4000 people have signed the on line petition, be a part of one of the biggest petitions yet!