My, your wish ideas, thoughts for 2010

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 7:24 am

My wish for 2010 for AUTISM (copy and paste on to your emails, facebook, here... simply pass on the message):
LET – our Lives, our Existence, our Terms. We can all learn from each other and I feel we should celebrate diversity and difference not stress over it, with understanding comes awareness, comes acceptance and then maybe we will simply be allowed...

and/or add your own and let other choose :)

Shareese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2010, 12:50 pm

I want people to like me the way I am and not want to change anything about me, but to love me just as much if I change because I want to and encourage me to change if I want to.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 6:06 am

Shareese wrote:
I want people to like me the way I am and not want to change anything about me, but to love me just as much if I change because I want to and encourage me to change if I want to.

The way I see it we are all a combination of differences, everyone of us a unique individual and there will always be some we get on with and some we don't, to me its all about understanding self, but I have found as I have changed since being diagnosed, it does take those around us a lot longer to get to understand our changes and make sense of reason , time as with any change can not be rushed I guess.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 3:54 pm

asplanet wrote:
Shareese wrote:

The way I see it we are all a combination of differences, everyone of us a unique individual and there will always be some we get on with and some we don't, to me its all about understanding self, but I have found as I have changed since being diagnosed, it does take those around us a lot longer to get to understand our changes and make sense of reason , time as with any change can not be rushed I guess.

Ditto.
This morning I lay in bed and wished for people to understand how hard normal day to day life is for me and for manypeople on the spectrum.
Yesterday, a note came home from my son's school about a net based reading challenge all the children are doing. It was a perfectly nice note. But I struggled to understand it because it involved a "shifting of goal posts and a changing of rules." It stated that the books to be included in this reading challenge could only be counted from February on, whereas the rules I clung to as stated on the website - could be counted from September last year. And the note from the teacher - directed to me personally - asked that my son's books only include those from February 1st onwards. It took me over two hours to absorb the new information and to agree with it. It took my son's father less than thirty seconds to adapt to the change communicated in the note. It took my son a minute or so. This morning I am still struggling with it.

I ended up in near meltdown because I could not shift my approach (in accord with the website) to that of the school. This is a small and normal and fairly typical day for me.

And many people do not understand how hard it is for us to change, alter views or routines or set ways of looking at or approaching something. I mention this example as it exemplifies how hard it is to actually have a more dynamic and adaptable thinking and living style.

Two hours out of my life ruminating and pacing and monologuing about a school note that nobody else even flinched at.
Early morning lying awake as well...

I'd like that kind of struggle to be understood instead of criticised as if we can have a moral deficit and an approach to life that is difficult, too fixed and locked in and pedantic.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 11:45 pm

Even before I found out I am A.S., I knew that I had serious issues with people, noise, and extreme stress over a job that doesn't seem to stress anyone else out. Even though I knew I had those issues, I still didn't try very hard to change.

My wish for 2010 is that I keep trying until I succeed in finding a better, and more fulfilling, way of life. :)

Anastasia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2010, 1:19 am

Peace peace peace and more peace. Love and understanding/

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 2:26 am

To be myself, in 2010. People who are different from the mainstream, have been frowned upon, for too many years. I wish to be left alone by the mainstream people to dress like, and listen to The Kinks. I'm not talking The Sex Pistols. I'm talking about a group that was well-known in the 1960s. Let me love the 60s, in 2010. You can't get any more innocent than the 60s, if you're talking about modern times.