Do lot of people really have bad balance?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

02 Jan 2008, 3:14 am

My boyfriend told me they do.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 4:31 am

I know I do. I can fall over without even changing position.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

02 Jan 2008, 4:37 am

If lot of people really do have bad balance, it shouldn't be an aspie thing, it should be a personality thing or a human thing. Not a disorder thing or a disability.

I tend to bump my own feet when I'm walking, stumble in cracks on sidewalks or almost trip when the ground changes but I don't do that as often like I did when I was little. I used to trip over my feet my mom says, now it's rare. Instead I just stumble them and catch myself from falling.

I consider myself having good balance because I don't stumble into things a lot or almost trip over stuff. It's only sometimes but everyone is like that. I was very surprised when my boyfriend told me everyone doesn't almost trip over cracks in sidewalks or when the ground changes, then he said everyone has bad balance. :?

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 4:53 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
If lot of people really do have bad balance, it shouldn't be an aspie thing, it should be a personality thing or a human thing. Not a disorder thing or a disability.

I tend to bump my own feet when I'm walking, stumble in cracks on sidewalks or almost trip when the ground changes but I don't do that as often like I did when I was little. I used to trip over my feet my mom says, now it's rare. Instead I just stumble them and catch myself from falling.

I consider myself having good balance because I don't stumble into things a lot or almost trip over stuff. It's only sometimes but everyone is like that. I was very surprised when my boyfriend told me everyone doesn't almost trip over cracks in sidewalks or when the ground changes, then he said everyone has bad balance. :?

Except that one of the frequent comorbidities of autism is SPD - Sensory Processing Disorder.

Quote:
If they have poor motor planning, body awareness, or motor control, they will...

# have difficulty climbing, running, riding a bike, doing jumping jacks, hitting a ball, roller skating, etc.

# have difficulty tying shoes (this is a great resource..."Tie Your Shoes: Rocket Style/Bunny Ears") or knowing how to move his body when you help him get dressed/undressed

# frequently bump into objects and people accidentally

# trip and fall often

# have difficulty learning to go up and down stairs, and may be frightened by them (escalators too)
- check it out

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Last edited by lastcrazyhorn on 02 Jan 2008, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jan 2008, 5:18 am

I run like a fool, my gait when running is just as bad when walking. cannot skate, climb, ride bikes, but I can stand on one leg if I hold the other one. Never been able to tie my shoelaces properly, I always remember being shown at the age of 4 by a friend, still no idea 21 years later. Was made captain of our year's cricket team at school, despite the fact that I could neither bowl in a straight line or hit the damn ball unless it was coming in slow. Could hardly ever catch a rugby ball, either. Have been called a klutz on more than one occassion. I am not saying that the two go hand in hand, but I know there are others on here who have similar problems.

I think hand-eye co-ordination comes into this as well, I may be wrong.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 5:43 am

I have balance problems and a diagnosis of dyspraxia.

From what I understand, dyspraxia is common in people on the spectrum, but there are still people on the spectrum who are not dyspraxic, and I think that only one or two of the various sets of diagnostic criteria for AS require balance / co-ordinaiton problems to be present for diagnosis.

Dyspraxia is also a standalone condition - so it is not just unique to people on the spectrum.

Hope this helps!

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 11:33 am

My eye coordination isn't very good n i tend 2 bump in 2 ppl a lot especially in town centres i aslo have funny posture wen i walk cos my mum tolded me.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 11:58 am

I don't know about balance, but I am very clumsy....I guess you can be clumsy and have good balance.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 12:08 pm

howzat wrote:
My eye coordination isn't very good n i tend 2 bump in 2 ppl a lot especially in town centres i aslo have funny posture wen i walk cos my mum tolded me.

So is mine, but I manage not to bump into people. Some people think that I am drunk. Some people tried to jump me because they thought I was drunk. Shame that I wasn't because I move like a blur.

chinapig
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2008, 12:45 pm

My school "mentor" told me that I walk with a very sexual gait. At least, I think that's what she said. She is very much swedish, and with the accent n'everything :P

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 12:49 pm

I'm clumsy, but have a good balance.

I'm that kind of person who could fall over in an empty space though, being ever so contradictory. ;)

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 1:01 pm

Bad balance? I wouldn't say so. I may have poor coordination in comparison to the average ice skater, but as long as I'm not falling down stairs or walking into walls, life is manageable.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 2:32 pm

Syd wrote:
Bad balance? I wouldn't say so. I may have poor coordination in comparison to the average ice skater, but as long as I'm not falling down stairs or walking into walls, life is manageable.

I hardly ever fall down the stairs. I fall up them a fair amount however.

And I've rarely met a doorway that my body could actually make through without sliding along or ramming directly into. I played church softball in high school, but only because it was co-ed and they needed girls. I can't for the life of me ever see the ball in the right sphere of space. I would have done better if they had blindfolded me and taught me just to listen for it. :roll:

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 2:38 pm

My balance is generally ok, until sometimes it just seems to disappear for a few moments and I'll manage to fall over my feet WHILE I'M STANDING STILL. Oh yes. I trip on uneven footpaths a lot, and walk into things, and go to walk around low objects like coffee tables but walk into the corner of them as I don't quite get around them properly. Sometimes I'll be standing up then kinda just go swaying to the side and have to catch myself, haha.

I'm just clumsy in general. :D

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 2:44 pm

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
And I've rarely met a doorway that my body could actually make through without sliding along or ramming directly into.

:lmao: :wall: yeah, that's me! Especially my the outside of my elbows... more the right than the left.
I also bump my head fairly often.

I have pretty good balance I guess because I can skateboard, inline skate, snowboard, and ride a bike pretty well... although with the first three I still fall down if I'm not paying really close attention to my balance.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 3:00 pm

Having messed up balance isn't part of being typically human,but there are a lot of reasons what can cause it.
Some NTs have inner ear problems [?] which affects balance,others have had too much alcohol.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!