Find me exercises for the Inferior frontal cortex

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 8:03 am

Mission is simple, find me exercises for the Inferior frontal cortex

Inferior frontal cortex
“Mirror neurons are found in the inferior frontal cortex, close to an area involved in language processing, speech production, and comprehension called Broca’s area. They provide a fairly accurate mechanism for understanding action, learning by imitation, and copying other people’s behavior. They also may help understand goals and intentions”

Well what are you waiting for!, get out there and find those tests

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Mar 2008, 8:13 am

take dance lessons :wink: or karate lessons.... anything that involves reproducing someone's movements

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 9:50 am

Aspiechav, I infer from your picture that you are a grown man, in which case brain plasticity is limited and I doubt you can do anything to "improve" your mirror neurons. And Broca's area is not tied into the problem just because it happens to be in the same region of the brain. My Broca's area works quite well. My mirror neurons and my thalamus, not so much.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 11:55 am

But various parts of the brain regarding social skills are found on that side of the brain. Surely, they are not all in same place by accident. Whatever one ability that side of the brain, surely any exercise that side of the brain will have a spill-over effect on the others. It is often said that aspie brains left and right side don’t synchronise very well. Exercises will help with these?

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 1:59 pm

they had a commercial for some type of brain exercises. i think it was brain age (or something like that). i think it was for nintendo ds

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 2:37 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
But various parts of the brain regarding social skills are found on that side of the brain. Surely, they are not all in same place by accident. Whatever one ability that side of the brain, surely any exercise that side of the brain will have a spill-over effect on the others. It is often said that aspie brains left and right side don’t synchronise very well. Exercises will help with these?

Well, you could just as easily argue that the entire brain is not in one place by accident- and to an extent this is true. But what practical applications does that knowledge have for improving the working of your brain? As I already said, if you are a grown adult then your brains plasticity is limited and you are unlikely to improve upon your capabilities. Not that there is nothing you can do to help brain function- numerous studies have shown exercise and healthy diet to contribute to a sharper mind, and if you want to you can look for Sudoku, crosswords, math puzzles, or a whole host of other things. But I doubt that any such measures (while beneficial for other reasons) would be likely to significantly improve your social skills through the mirror neurons. For one thing, the mirror neurons may be why we struggle socially- but strengthening mirror neurons as an adult (if it were possible) probably would not do much to improve social skills anyways, as social skills are learned at a younger age- we've already missed that train, so to speak, and it's rather difficult to try and play catch-up there.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Mar 2008, 3:03 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:

I know that when my son was little, we did various sensory integration therapies that seemed to really improve his ability to mimic "human" behaviours. So perhaps looking into Dr. Jean Ayres works and figuring out which SID movements improve your thinking. My son has always described it as making him think straighter. I find that certain movements help my ability to think straight as well. In turn, this makes my abilities in dealing with people much better and reduces the number of times that I walk away from an interaction with the other person shaking their heads and going, "God, that was weird."

Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2008, 4:52 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:

Ming!
That cheesy movie is a guilty pleasure of mine. :D

Btw, I was just reading an article about mirror neurons yesterday. Interesting coincidence that stumbled upon this thread today.

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2008, 1:02 am

Spiral153 wrote:
Btw, I was just reading an article about mirror neurons yesterday. Interesting coincidence that stumbled upon this thread today.

maybe you caused it to begin with

Mishcana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2008, 12:25 pm

Orwell wrote:
Aspiechav, I infer from your picture that you are a grown man, in which case brain plasticity is limited and I doubt you can do anything to "improve" your mirror neurons. And Broca's area is not tied into the problem just because it happens to be in the same region of the brain. My Broca's area works quite well. My mirror neurons and my thalamus, not so much.

There was something on the news a little white ago, where they're discovering there still is considerable brain plasticity in older people. One of the reasons we think we don't have it as we age, is we assume we don't - sometimes it just requires a different method.

So, still worth a shot, whichever study is correct :)