Does Accepting Your Aspergers appear EVIL to people?

Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Ipunes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2007, 6:11 am

OK, Firstly I would like to say, I in know way think that people with aspergers are evil or that any traits of aspergers are evil.

What I am saying is:

Many people (particularly artistic emotional types) veiw some of the traits of Aspergers as Evil and bad to posses.

For example, If they view aspies as having Less EMPATHY, Less Complex EMOTIONS, as being less able to nurture somone, and even souless.

Im sure in the past people probably believe the above more, but some people still have this backward view and hatred of people with aspergers and particularly those with aspergers who are not in conflict wiht themselves.

Are aspies meant to forever live in conflict wiht themselves and veiw themselves as not Human enough and strive to be more Emotional and 'human'?

Or are they surely allowed to accept themselves and try to be happy and good people just like the rest of society, only in a slightly different way?

Modern society seems to accept people with Mental Retardation and down syndrome, because despite their low intelligence, They are still seen has having the full complexe range of emotions and able to connect and socialize in a 'normal' way.

An over praisal on intelligence over emotions/siociability is seen as right wing or even Nazi like. Just think of books like 'Lord of the Flies'. The authoer mocks Piggy who is the insociable type, who relishes science and knowledge.
Piggy is made to look evil and selfish. Only hes not evil or selfish, but is only able to give back to scoiety via scientific discovery, and not through emotion or socializing.

Some people however see aspies as evil, because they are obsessed with 'seemingly' unemotional pursits of knowledge, and are seen by some to lack empathy.

Those with aspergers who do Not show any outward feelings of feeling 'less than human' and look like they are making no effort to be more 'human' are looked down upon even more.

I know somebody (an arty type) who is quite hateful of people with aspie qualities and people who seem to be living happily with aspergers in a typical aspergers lifestyle.

Again, I would like to say, none of the above negative views on aspergers are my own, but merley what I have percieved from some other people.

Ultimately, people need to accept that people with Aspergers are biologically different, and that they need to be understood and to some degree helped, but also respected and praised for their unique qualities.
But most imporatantly, not discrimanted against or prejudged.

And to be seen as equally 'humain' as any other human being.

Last edited by Ipunes on 21 Dec 2007, 6:25 am, edited 7 times in total.

Ipunes

21 Dec 2007, 6:16 am

what Im saying is, IN a liberal society, more and more, the fundamental qualities of being human are emphasised as being EMOTIONAL and SOCIABLE, and less of an emphasis is placed on being INTELLIGENT.

So those people who think that tbheyre being Liberal and progressive in emphasizing the importance of emotion and sociability, Can sometimes be cold and innapropriate in their views and contempt for people with aspergers.

I hate to say this, but some people see aspergers people as nothing more than machines. And these people have no qualms about their views as they feel they are being liberal and humain.

But surely its more humain to accept all people because they are HUMANS, regardless of their biological diffrences?

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 6:24 am

I've accepted my autism, and yes ppl think thats weird, that i just stim whenever and that i don't care what other ppl think anymore. I kept thinking why keep stressing myself out to be like everybody else around me, where i would go into meltdowns every night just to please them. No, why should i suffer my health, so i decided to just let me be me, and instead of being like everybody else, i'll be me, if me includes rocking in public then oh well.

Ipunes

21 Dec 2007, 6:27 am

Age1600 wrote:
I've accepted my autism, and yes ppl think thats weird, that i just stim whenever and that i don't care what other ppl think anymore. I kept thinking why keep stressing myself out to be like everybody else around me, where i would go into meltdowns every night just to please them. No, why should i suffer my health, so i decided to just let me be me, and instead of being like everybody else, i'll be me, if me includes rocking in public then oh well.

excellent, thats good for you.
You've made the right decision there.
I think thats what all people on the austistic spectrum should do, not be afraid to accept themselves.

Ipunes

21 Dec 2007, 6:29 am

Infact, I believe those who people who cannot except other peoples autistic spectrum traits, are the one who are less humain and more ignorant and more backward.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 6:31 am

Ipunes wrote:
Age1600 wrote:

I think thats what all people on the austistic spectrum should do, not be afraid to accept themselves.

Thanks, so if u ever come to jersey and see a girl sitting on the ground randomly in a store, twisting her fingers, staring at anything that resembles royal blue haha, rocking, giggling randomly...that'll be me lol!

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 6:52 am

Yes, exorcisms were planned and then at the last moment were cancelled due to the weather. Right now holy water is being sprinkled all around to get rid of the evil in their midst.

ahhhhhhhHHHHHH!

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

21 Dec 2007, 7:13 am

I don't think that I have fully accepted my Aspergers.

One thing I have accepted though, is that I will never be like others. People do find it weird that I don't try to be "normal". Although, as I said before, I haven't fully accepted my Aspergers so I try not to let it all "hang-out", so to speak...

For example, I would try to supress stims if I were in a public place instead of just doing them. Although, I would not be afraid to tell people that something was overloading me and I need to get away from it [If I could before it becomes too difficult].

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 7:16 am

Age1600 wrote:
Thanks, so if u ever come to jersey and see a girl sitting on the ground randomly in a store, twisting her fingers, staring at anything that resembles royal blue haha, rocking, giggling randomly...that'll be me lol!

HEY. I get around and have been in jersey before. If a strange 40+ man comes up to you smiling, with glasses, and balding, that might be me!

And HEY, I like blue also! 8-) So why do you pick royal blue?

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 7:41 am

I have been seen as evil.

Your artistic emotional types, who I have a lot of other words for.

Somehow it became their business what I was.

I was in the arts, and my painting and sculpture upset them, not the work, but that I was doing it.

My business atire, technological bent, and world view that I did not care what other people did,

were taken as insulting real artists, those who dress the look, hang out in cafes, and talk, but really know nothing about art history, or the mechanics of media, reproduction, marketing.

Worse, I would have nothing to do with them. Art it seems was really a lifestyle for people with their lack of drive, and collected deviant behaviors.

I had the same problem in school, the best Science student, but but not being a flag waving Christian, unfit to lead.

The very idea that people should start businesses was seen as a Capitalist Warmonger Slaver! It excused them stealing from me, for no one else had anything to steal.

Their Collective should tell me what I was allowed to do, and they had endless free time, as they did not work.

Not accpting their enlightened social direction was seen as evidence of every name the the little PC twits rallied around.

Their main idea was I should work for them, because they did not work, and there were more of them.

I have no problem with pouring boiling oil on mobs.

Making me think about you can be a very big error.

They went off in search of easy prey.

Now when I run into one I strike first.

I am much more than Human.

There is no reason to tolerate scum.

It works for me.

Ipunes

21 Dec 2007, 8:22 am

Age1600 wrote:
Ipunes wrote:
Age1600 wrote:

of course! your hot.

Ipunes

21 Dec 2007, 8:38 am

Inventor wrote:
I have been seen as evil.

Your artistic emotional types, who I have a lot of other words for.

Somehow it became their business what I was.

I was in the arts, and my painting and sculpture upset them, not the work, but that I was doing it.

My business atire, technological bent, and world view that I did not care what other people did,

were taken as insulting real artists, those who dress the look, hang out in cafes, and talk, but really know nothing about art history, or the mechanics of media, reproduction, marketing.

Worse, I would have nothing to do with them. Art it seems was really a lifestyle for people with their lack of drive, and collected deviant behaviors.

I had the same problem in school, the best Science student, but but not being a flag waving Christian, unfit to lead.

The very idea that people should start businesses was seen as a Capitalist Warmonger Slaver! It excused them stealing from me, for no one else had anything to steal.

Their Collective should tell me what I was allowed to do, and they had endless free time, as they did not work.

Not accpting their enlightened social direction was seen as evidence of every name the the little PC twits rallied around.

Their main idea was I should work for them, because they did not work, and there were more of them.

I have no problem with pouring boiling oil on mobs.

Making me think about you can be a very big error.

They went off in search of easy prey.

Now when I run into one I strike first.

I am much more than Human.

There is no reason to tolerate scum.

It works for me.

Yes I agree.

I've always hated people who think semi-anarchistic behavour is appropriate as long as they are directly not hurting anyone.

People who think they can pursue a goal in life no matter what the expense it may xause to others.

People who take up art, but just see themselves as visionaries who are not slaves to the economy, but claim they are not doing any bad for the world either.

They feel they can be self indulgent, they claim to not be evil or want to hurt other people, yet they still mock people and are cruel, but have tricked themselves that everything they do in their life is OK and that theyre only being cruel to people who are opposite to them.

I always had a great passion for art, I was very good at pencil drawing of real life, I got selected for my primary school to draw the whole school for the cover of the brochure, being the first kid to ever do that.
I didnt study art in high school or college.

I found too many conflictions in the selfish lifestyle of art, and indulging in something that should be a hobby or past time, an dnot something that is a career.
I was put off by the chaotic way of thinking and views on life by arty types.

I hated the way they thought ' You shouldnt be a slave to a job that creates scientific discovery or xontributes to the economy or industry, but you should constantly express yourself and be peaceful'.

The truth is, non of the arty types are peaceful or civil. And they dont contribute much back to society beyond their art.

They view scientifc types a s cold and mechanical, and obsessed with knowledge, and not caring of people on everyday interactions.

Nothing stops you from being a good peaceful emphatic person if you;ve committed your life to making the world a better place, through the job you do.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 9:21 am

I agree with Inventor and Ipunes. It seems to me that this crap is just part of a larger social fad that the West has been stuck in since the late 60s that puts emotion, feeling, romanticism, and political correctness ahead of reason and science. Of course that's not to say emotion and feeling are bad things, they are necessary for a mentally healthy person, NT or not. The problem is when obsessions with emotion and feeling, romantic notions like the "Noble Savage at one with Mother Earth," and inane political correctness get in the way of reasoned discourse.

Ipunes

21 Dec 2007, 9:34 am

If im to be overly clear cut:

People with aspergers have a tendency to contribute to society like MACHINES doing a mechanical process. (eg a computer programmer)

NT's are much more likely to contribute to society with EMOTIONS, SOCIALIAZING and ART.

Thats not to say aspies dont contribute to society with emotions, sociazling or art, or that NT;s dont contribute to society like machines.

People need to respect and appreaciate Aspergers people have equally good intentions as NT's, but are usually only able to communicate their intentions via scientific discovery, computer programming and generally making the world a better place through discovery and 'mechanicial/logical' construction buildings, hospitals, medicines etc.

someguy

21 Dec 2007, 9:52 am

I fought to be normal since I hit late high school, not understanding until a week ago what really made me different. I pretty much pulled it off for the past decade, well appearing more or less normal anyway. Lots of friends, climbing the corporate ladder, married, etc. Until eight months ago I blew a major fuse, quit my job and have been struggling to get it together since. I won't push myself like that ever again. Forget being normal, I'll just be me and I'll focus on trying to keep the annoying sides to me (motormouth, etc) under control.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 10:13 am

I just dont care anymore about those who glorify NT types of empathy when there is much valid aspie empathy... we can in reality develop secondary empathy if we want.

Besides, NTs are limited with the type of empathy they have, some of them can only empathise with people they like. I prefer my type of empathy which is across the board though more detached and one-sided.

I still kind of wish I was NT just to have their kind of empathy to tell the truth.. but I never will and I am coming to peace with that.

Taking a break.