Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Which of the two versions of the song do you like better?
Version 1 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
Version 2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 6:47 am

I have a song in Russian, but I was just wondering whether or not you would be able to guess its content just based on melody.

I actually have two different versions of this song:

Version 1: http://bards.pp.ru/VNP/2/14_Razmyty_put.mp3
Version 2: http://www.checkin.ru/ins/skos/skosd014.mp3

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 10:06 am

I know it'll sound very technical, but it's an aspie forum, the one place where there is true freedom of speech, so here goes.

Version 1 sounds more smooth and natural, pretty much how you might hear it at a live performance. Version 2 is more electronic, like a recording. If use WinAmp, there's a small detail you might like to hear about. Look at the field with "kbps" label next to it; it stands for "kilobits per second". In Version one, the kbps rate fluctuates between roughly 96 and 160, which would be similar to natural human speech and live musical instruments. In Version 2, it's always 128, the rate it was recorded at.

It's the same song in both versions, and I could even understand some of the words. But due to the differences it bit rates, the songs sounded quite differently. However, if this weren't an aspie forum, I would never feel comfortable enough saying what I just said.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 4:22 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
I know it'll sound very technical, but it's an aspie forum, the one place where there is true freedom of speech, so here goes.

Version 1 sounds more smooth and natural, pretty much how you might hear it at a live performance. Version 2 is more electronic, like a recording. If use WinAmp, there's a small detail you might like to hear about. Look at the field with "kbps" label next to it; it stands for "kilobits per second". In Version one, the kbps rate fluctuates between roughly 96 and 160, which would be similar to natural human speech and live musical instruments. In Version 2, it's always 128, the rate it was recorded at.

It's the same song in both versions, and I could even understand some of the words. But due to the differences it bit rates, the songs sounded quite differently. However, if this weren't an aspie forum, I would never feel comfortable enough saying what I just said.

Somehow I hear it differently. May be it is due to the fact that the intonations used to express emotions are different in Russian than in English and I am a native Russian speaker. But then again I haven't talked to anyone about it, so it would be nice to know if others agree with me on this one.

Basically, to me, it sounds that the general mood expressed in the melody of the first version is tired, relaxed and somewhat sad. On the other hand, the general mood expressed in the melody of the second version is somewhat positive and hopeful.

The topic of the song is going by the boat on the distant island of your youth. So in the first version it is sang in a sad and tired way, and to me personally it sounds like you are tired of your life and you are "escaping" from it. On the other hand, in the second version it sounds like you just came up with great idea: to go back to your youth, and you sing it in a hopeful mood as to how events progress as you so successfully reach that goal.

Of course, the words are the same, but due to the melody it sounds completely different. Personally, I am used to hearing the first version of it, which is why I also believe the first version is better since it is how the song was intended to sound. I believe the second version is an improvisation upon the first one, but I am not sure.

So, how about you guys, if you listen it again, will you be able to pick up that the melody of the second song sounds more positive? I guess I have no idea whehtehr

1) it is only sounding positive to me
2) it sounds positive to only Russian speakers but not English speakers
3)It sounds positive to a lot of ppl, whether Russian or English or whatever

So I will be interested to see.