Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 1:33 pm

A new thought has just crossed my mind - what about elder aspies? I realize there was't too much research concerning AS in those people who are already stricken in years but maybe someone of you has heard something about it? Do their symptoms become worse or on the opposite? Are they more susceptible to senile dementia and other senile age diseases? I lean to hypothesis it's on the opposite rather - training their brains they may be proud of those brains' flexibility much longer than it happens in case of an average NT.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 1:52 pm

Older and Better Topic

I am a 53 year old Aspie :) but not the oldest here. There are a few in their sixties and many in their late fifties here at WP. If some of the more famous people who may be Aspies are any indication, then their lives are or have been fulfilling. I think of Bill Gates, Albert Einstein, Marie Curie and Temple Grandin (Dx). You have given me an inspiration to check this out. Thank you, Irulan. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 2:43 pm

Well, I am only in my forties. I complain about my memory a bit, but I am seeing improvement, etc... Frankly, they HAVE done studies and found that the best way to prevent senility, etc... is to do puzzles and the like. A lot of people here sound like they are at LOW risk for senility. As for actual symptoms getting worse? I think most disappear or get better, and some remain the same.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 3:09 pm

I have a great-aunt who is in her 70s that my mom and I are sure has AS. She's a retired accountant.

greendeltatke
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2008, 3:12 pm

My father-in-law is a 66 year old German professor. He's pretty Aspie, but never been formally diagnosed. Every so often he develops a new intellectual interest, like learning Mandarin or software development. Recently he's bought a Nintendo DS and plays the Brain Age stuff. I think his obsessive interests probably keep his mind sharper than most NTs his age.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 3:40 pm

When I get old I will tell you (I'm only 51).

:)

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 3:46 pm

Who you callin' old? :wink:

- Emerson

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 3:59 pm

I asked this question here because I saw that nobody hit upon an idea to do this earlier. I was interested if there's any correlation between ASD and senile age diseases.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 4:01 pm

I think that they might be less likely to develope Alzimer's Disease, because they have such good memories and a greater amount of brain tissue.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 4:15 pm

A 66 year old man was recently diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. I know because I just ordered the article through InterLibrary Loan.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 7:04 pm

Odin wrote:
I have a great-aunt who is in her 70s that my mom and I are sure has AS. She's a retired accountant.

Same with my great-uncle, and I heard his father probably was too. My great-uncle's in his 80s.

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 7:45 pm

My grandfather has asperger syndrome and he's 84 and still pretty much clueless about social stuff.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 7:45 pm

I did that autism stuff back in the 50's, but machines are more fun than apes, so I became a machine.

Not only have we always been around, there are a lot of us, look in any machines shop, guys who fix clocks, microscopes, cameras, the best mechanics, we are not whining little emos on the web, we are the people you see when it really needs to be fixed right.

AS is not a problem, just ape gangs looking for some one to jump, something to steal, and that includes the Chamber of Commerace and most religions, join our church or the Devil might cause you to have an accident. There are fifty of us, and you can't prove it.

We have a lot less to do with the world after forty. It is mostly based on fraud. They are the kind of people who will kill you, so they can rob your house during the funeral. A lot of us move often, and do not make friends.

There is an over sixty gang, most of us have done it, we conspire to avoid you.

While NT's are busy dying, being old, and stuff, it is an AS trait to start a new business at sixty, based on experiance, and run it for twenty years. That developmental delay comes back as excess development later. All those bookish obsessions do come in useful.

Humans are a walking excuse, they got expenses, and Jesus will forgive them, I will not.

So we do work on being invisable. The view from sixty is hairless ground apes everywhere. You are all Ellenor Rigby. Deal with humans, you lose!

Now get off of my lawn!

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 8:22 pm

I think Roger Bannister, who will be 79 next month, has strong AS traits.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Feb 2008, 7:32 pm

I am an aspie, as is my father (who is 88 years old). After considerable effort by my sister (not an aspie) and myself, my father is currently being "treated" for Asperger's by a psychiatrist.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 8:07 pm

Aspie female and fifty four. Mentally I just keep getting better. Yip! I will be able to fully appreciate my own death!

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button