Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 1:24 pm

Tomorrow I'll have a flier ready for an autism spectrum group I'm starting at our local college. It's not like any other groups I've seen around here so that's why I needed to start it. It's for solving problems collectively, parents and their adult kids. Figuring out our strengths and acting on them and finding ways around our weaknesses. <--okay, that line needs to be in my flier!

I need people to tell me where the communation on the flier is flaky so I can be more clear. The flier has to be a simple as a cartoon so that people don't glance at it and decide it's too complicated to think about.

The hardest thing for me was that I need to let people know that profoudly autistic people, if they're like my daughter, shouldn't go to the meetings. My daughter would noisily stim, grab things, be generally disruptive and very distracting. My HFA son melts down around her at times. So I will let people about my concerns by email or phone calls. I sure hope I don't get some idealist telling me that I'm horrible for wanting to exclude people like my daughter.

Okay, here's the text of the flier:

Finding Real Life Solutions!
Autism Spectrum Adults! Parents of AS Adults!
Problems Solutions Personal Stories.
Questions Answers
Talk - Listen - Analyze -Ponder –
Discover together solutions for -
Housing
Jobs
School
Business start-ups
Clubs
Mentoring for whatever life throws at you.

Hang around while doing jigsaw puzzles, playing chess, Go, other quiet cerebral two person games, draw pictures. Bring stimmy stuff! Sit at a table or you’ve got the floor!

A simple dinner will be provided from 6:30. Meetings will be in the (which room!) from 7pm to 8:30pm on the thrid Thursday of each the month.

Mission Statement
Our mission is to enhance lives on autism spectrum terms as an autism spectrum community. We are who we are and we collectively strive forward to advocate for ourselves and one another.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 1:50 pm

You might suggest that it be fragrance-free, since perfumes and colognes are a real barrier for a lot of people with sensory issues.
Good luck!

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 1:53 pm

Good point! I'll make sure that it's mentioned. That small detail could make or break the group!

Thanks!! I'm nervous because I've never done anything like this before but I have no choice anymore. My kids need me to do this for them. If they don't have strong, positive community support, I don't know what will happen to them when their father and I can't be there for them.

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 3:50 pm

I think the flier looks great and what you're trying to do is very good. I don't think you need to mention that the group is not for profoundly autistic people. Their parents can probably tell by the flier if the group is right for them or not. I actually wouldn't bring it up if you talk to people by phone or email. I mean, try not to anticipate that as being a problem.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 4:13 pm

Thanks for your input, Tortuga. It's the trickiest part of creating the group for me. Maybe I'm just thinking of too many "what ifs" about all the ways things could go wrong.