Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2008, 11:46 am

Hello
Can a meltdown have violence, bad violence, during it? Instead of just screaming and crying or is this a whole new level of crazy?

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 11:51 am

Mine sometimes involve self-harm like punching and scratching.

Others bite. And not just themselves.

So yes, violence can be involved.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 12:28 pm

Mikhaillost wrote:
Hello
Can a meltdown have violence, bad violence, during it? Instead of just screaming and crying or is this a whole new level of crazy?

Yes,this is what 'meltdown' is to a lot of autistics,especially to those who are on the mf/lf end as more things start to complicate.
Am have always had very 'violent' meltdowns [which included towards other people until started on meds in 2000,age might have helped to],tend to get meltdowns every day if the setoffs are there,medications help as does awareness and understanding from others of what the setoffs are,it also helps being restrained to stop even more damage.

If are able to keep them to one specific area of house,or have people who could bring self to specific area,it could be set up with padding on walls,although this wouldn't help with punches to body,it would help with kicks or head banging.
OTs can sort out room for this,am have always used a special matress for padding but it's falling apart and am now waiting for proper custom made high padding off the OT as it is being attached to bed.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 12:45 pm

I am officially 'mild' and I hit and bite my arms most days. So no, you are not going crazy.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 12:51 pm

Yes, it happens.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 1:00 pm

'A new dimension of craziness' - I think that sometimes, because I'm usually a superficially collected person.
What the above all said, it can be an experience during meltdowns, including extreme violence. Not to say 'don't worry about it', because who could possibly like meltdowns. But you're not going crazy, I assure you.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 1:34 pm

When i was a kid mine were verry violent.
I atacked my brothers and other family members.
Nowadays i just go crazy in my head but don't show any emotion.
I'd proberbly get fired at work if i couldn't control my emotions.
The anger has left my body :lol:

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 2:02 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Mikhaillost wrote:
Hello

Yes,this is what 'meltdown' is to a lot of autistics,especially to those who are on the mf/lf end as more things start to complicate.
Am have always had very 'violent' meltdowns [which included towards other people until started on meds in 2000,age might have helped to],tend to get meltdowns every day if the setoffs are there,medications help as does awareness and understanding from others of what the setoffs are,it also helps being restrained to stop even more damage.

If are able to keep them to one specific area of house,or have people who could bring self to specific area,it could be set up with padding on walls,although this wouldn't help with punches to body,it would help with kicks or head banging.
OTs can sort out room for this,am have always used a special matress for padding but it's falling apart and am now waiting for proper custom made high padding off the OT as it is being attached to bed.
i got sometimes like this too..but i only do it if someone tries to grap a hold on me /tryes to do someting like talking down..so i also get restained if i meltdown :roll:

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 3:30 pm

My son had extremly violent meltdowns - he attacked people, threw heavy furniture ect. He was quite dangerous and also hurt himself. We had to empty his room and get plexiglass on the windows.
It turned out he had temporal lobe epilepsy, and when he started on epilepsy medication and ritalin, the meltdowns stopped. This kind of epilepsy makes you experience extreme feelings such as rage.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2008, 8:37 am

Hello,
Temporal Lobe epilepsy...
I will have to research this.
It sounds interesting. I have always had rage problems, biting, kicking, throwing things.
Maybe it's just rage though.
Thanks to everyone for the ideas.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 10:03 am

When I was in my teens (12-17) I was very violent during meltdowns, usually toward my mother. Unfortunately, during a time at which my pain was so strong I was unable to communicate in any other way. I don't know why I stopped being so violent, but it may be because I tend to self injure now rather than hurt others. Not Ideal though...

It doesn't mean you are going mad, it is part of SOME people's AS. Despite sharing the same diagnosis, we are all very different so just because one person with AS does or doesn't do something doesn't make the other one crazy for doing it! Sorry for going on too much... :oops:

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 5:41 pm

well I go abit nuts I throw, smash, brake , punch holes in walls, ram my self in to things, head butt, attack other people, harm my self, and some times I cant find the turn off button to stop my self. I haven't had that type of melt down for about a year now. I am so shamed when it happens. I just can't stop, and have to run my self out if steam and hit exaustion.