The Legend of the Amazing Screaming Prof

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Stupidcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2008, 11:04 pm

I have a professor that is what some people like to call a "Loud Talker". She isn't yelling because she's angry. She's yelling because that's how she normally talks. Other people in my class have voiced a dislike for her loud talking and wish she would stop but no one is really willing to say anything.

For me, this "Loud Talker", is basically a melt-down in the making. I dread going to her class and being stuck in that room for an hour and thirty minutes. Hearing her voice is enough to set off a massive head ache. When we're sitting in the room, its as if her voices is bouncing off the walls and assaulting my ears. I want to put my hands over my ears and hit my head against the desk until her voice goes away.

I don't know what to do about the situation. Moving to another class or dropping the class all together are not options. I'm not sure how to tell her that she talks to loud all the time without it seeming like a personal attack. I'm sure she doesn't even realize she's yelling at us but my poor brain does. Any advise would be a big help.

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 11:06 pm

I'd get earplugs. Maybe the wax, clear ones, so that she doesn't know you're wearing them.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 11:10 pm

If you are not the only one, then you have a right and duty to say something. If she doesn't take it well, then get earplugs and notify the dept head. That's assault.

Stupidcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2008, 11:15 pm

KimJ wrote:
If you are not the only one, then you have a right and duty to say something. If she doesn't take it well, then get earplugs and notify the dept head. That's assault.

k96822 wrote:
I'd get earplugs. Maybe the wax, clear ones, so that she doesn't know you're wearing them.

The problem being is I'm the only one being assaulted as far as I can tell. For everyone else it just seems to be a nuisance. I don't particularly want the whole class to know that I have a disability of some type. That's why wearing earplugs would draw unwanted attention.

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 11:20 pm

I don't blame you for not wanting people to know about AS. They don't understand it... no good can come from it, particularly with kids. The clear wax ones are almost invisible. Some kids might think it is a great idea and emulate you if they find out. You don't have to explain anything about autism, though -- you can just say her voice irritates you so you got some earplugs. They'll relate.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 11:24 pm

earplugs.

Stupidcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2008, 11:27 pm

k96822 wrote:
I don't blame you for not wanting people to know about AS. They don't understand it... no good can come from it, particularly with kids. The clear wax ones are almost invisible. Some kids might think it is a great idea and emulate you if they find out. You don't have to explain anything about autism, though -- you can just say her voice irritates you so you got some earplugs. They'll relate.

Its a college level course so I'm in the classroom with a bunch of other college students. Its still rather difficult explaining things about AS to them. And for some odd reason when you work together in a group for half a semester, as I have, the people in that group are offending that you didn't tell them in the beginning. I've had that problem before.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 11:30 pm

I don't think hearing has to be tied into AS. Just say that she's loud and it hurts your ears. Those other students may be in the same amount of pain and doing the same thing you are. I'm sorry but you're in college and you should not worry about looking cool or being different.

Heron
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Feb 2008, 11:30 pm

Experiment with cotton wool in one or both ears, if you get asked why you have you have cotton wool in ears say youy have problems wih ear wax (put a couple of drops of olive oil in and plug with cotton wool, standard procedure).

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 11:33 pm

Heron wrote:
Experiment with cotton wool in one or both ears, if you get asked why you have you have cotton wool in ears say youy have problems wih ear wax (put a couple of drops of olive oil in and plug with cotton wool, standard procedure).

Yikes -- telling people you have problems with ear wax doesn't help the dating life. :lol:
That, and imagine the nicknames! One of the top of my head would be "potato farmer".

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 11:36 pm

Stupidcat wrote:
k96822 wrote:

Its a college level course so I'm in the classroom with a bunch of other college students. Its still rather difficult explaining things about AS to them. And for some odd reason when you work together in a group for half a semester, as I have, the people in that group are offending that you didn't tell them in the beginning. I've had that problem before.

Wow, those are some cool kids. Offended that you didn't mention it!

Stupidcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2008, 11:36 pm

KimJ wrote:
I don't think hearing has to be tied into AS. Just say that she's loud and it hurts your ears. Those other students may be in the same amount of pain and doing the same thing you are. I'm sorry but you're in college and you should not worry about looking cool or being different.

I never try to look cool or not be different. I have never cared about either. I don't particularly care if anyone doesn't like what I'm doing. What I am concerned with is the trouble I could have as a result is worth it. Its almost like I'm having to choose between the lesser of two evils. This prof doesn't seem like the kind that can take constructive criticism gracefully.

Stupidcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2008, 11:37 pm

k96822 wrote:
Stupidcat wrote:
k96822 wrote:

Wow, those are some cool kids. Offended that you didn't mention it!

I know. I don't quite understand them myself. I generally don't care what other people think about me but it is hard to sit in a group setting and be purposefully excluded.

Stupidcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2008, 11:38 pm

Heron wrote:

Sounds like a fairly good idea. I have pretty severe allergies and I could always blame the cotton on them. Good advise! :D

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 11:40 pm

Stupidcat wrote:
Heron wrote:

Sounds like a fairly good idea. I have pretty severe allergies and I could always blame the cotton on them. Good advise! :D

The ironic thing is that your TEACHER might have AS! The volume problem IS a symptom! :lol: :lol: :lol: SERIOUSLY!

Stupidcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2008, 11:42 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Stupidcat wrote:
Heron wrote:

The ironic thing is that your TEACHER might have AS! The volume problem IS a symptom! :lol: :lol: :lol: SERIOUSLY!

I had never thought of that. Rather entertaining actually. I don't think she does though because when I went to talk to her about AS at the beginning of the semester she didn't even know what it was. Maybe I should provide her with some more information and she'd figure out the loud talking thing on her own :lol: