Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

archdude
Raven
Raven

15 Apr 2008, 9:30 pm

One thing that casts doubt on the possibility that I might have AS is my inability to stick to a schedule. I know most Aspies follow a rigid routine, which in a way I envy.

I tend to procrastinate a lot. For example I just filed my taxes (actually I filed for an extension since I have one form missing that I'll need to replace). Because I procrastinated doing my taxes the last few days have been a pure hell of horrible anxiety - no exaggeration. :cry: I could have hired someone to do taxes for me, but that wouldn't have really solved the problem. I already use TurboTax which handles all of the calculations quickly and easily. The hard part was getting all of my forms together and getting information that was not on the forms (such as cost basis for investments). Yes I do have a considerable stock portfolio and I make fairly frequent trades. This may make sound like a "poor little rich boy" to some of you, but my pain is real. Anyway, even if I hired someone, I still would have had to gather all of the forms and information and gotten just as physically ill from the unbearable stress.

Though procrastination is a very non-Aspie trait, I wonder if there is anyone here who sometimes does it. And if so, have you ever been horribly ill from anxiety when the task at hand could no longer be delayed?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 9:35 pm

I'll get around to answering this later...;)

It's possible to be organized, and still put off unpleasant things.

nomadic28
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2008, 9:55 pm

Is it really keeping to a "schedule", like something that could be written in a day planner, or is it more along the lines of routine, like say for instance, when you wake up, you have to brush your teeth...then have a bagel (or whatever)...then sit at the computer with coffee...and know that the next thing you will do is shower, and there's no way you can do anything before that (like a chore, or change the routine such as shower first thing, etc) without feeling seriously bothered...

That's why I wind up procrastinating, half the time...its just not on my mental agenda, and I can't allow it to be...

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 10:04 pm

pakled wrote:

It's possible to be organized, and still put off unpleasant things.

Yeah, me too.

Btdt

archdude
Raven
Raven

15 Apr 2008, 10:23 pm

pakled wrote:

LOL! I was so stressed that I failed to notice the joke, at first. But now my sense of humor is _starting_ to come back.

jason_b1980
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Apr 2008, 10:30 pm

I'm the worst procrasitinator ever. For instance, I was supposed to turn this paper into human resources at work in January...it's now April. lol :D Actually I think procrastination is an ADD thing, and you can have ADD along with Asperger's.