Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 10:54 am

So I think every now and then i regress more and more. I just learned today though that growing up, when i became nonverbal everything was echolila, and i dont even know when i started speaking my own words haha. Now i'm going back to echolila again for some reason, i use movies lines, or commercials, or other peoples words to get by most of the time, its sooo sad. I forget to flush the toilet now more and more, and i always had a problem eating, but just recently if i dont want the food, i just let it dribble out of my mouth. Okay I never done that before, well when i was a kid probably haha. Getting dressed was always a problem espcially growing up, but now im having problems matching, figuring out what goes with what, or i tire out easily. I also loved to drive, and was good at it, now its like when i drive my brain just doesnt get it anymore, like wtf? I still drive but not as much. And a lot of other things i noticed that i get worse and worse every year :? .

Now the funny thing is sometimes i can be verrry high functioning, well certian times actually. We went to the book store to look at books, and i wanted to find a book on neurological disorders, now i dont have a problem asking ppl anymore, and i got what i wanted to say out of my mouth pretty good, messed up a couple times, not good eye contact like usual, and the lady points me out to books. Okay she was also telling me about this annoying customer she had, and said something was off about him, i saw him, and instantly thought aspergers, pointed to the book that said aspergers, and said he probably has this. She was like yea probably, my niece was just diagnosed with that, scary thing. Then she goes on about saying are you looking up autistic books for your children 8O ? I was like wow, all i did was shake my head no, get completely disinterested in her and started drifting away looking at books, eventually she walked away haha. I was just surprised she didnt even know i was autistic haha. Yet right after that im sitting on my bfs foot, rocking, biting my hand like usual, trying to find a good book to read, yep, gotta love those certian high functioning times haha. The rest of the day, i was basically nonverbal/echolila or I only said one words to get my point across :roll: .

Anyways, my question is, does anybody ever find themselves regressing alittle bit more and more? See sometimes i just think well I must have a lot going on, maybe my brain cant handle it, so it pushes away some other skills to learn new ones, idk :shrug: !

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 10:58 am

Are you short on sleep? I finally had to start making myself get more sleep each night. I've felt myself allowing my mind to occupy different spaces the last few weeks and it feels better. Life isn't all about intellectual pursuits. A few days off and I'm a lot better able to do math and science. I had this "gone forever" sensation a few days ago and now it's like I can remember everything that I ever learned.

Maybe this "regression" is nothing but taking a break and expanding your horizons. You write very well.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 12:10 pm

Has something new happened recently, like, have you learned to manage other situation that you couldn't cope with before? Or are you just totally immersed in something right now that you're starting to get good at?

I don't know about regressing more and more (unless one's 70-ish or something), but I know how it is to loose skills randomly.
I know that the three reasons above are why I forget skills. When I didn't do something for a long time, I just forget the skill and need to relearn in, academics as well as simple everyday skills. Likewise, when I'm beginning to be really good at one thing, I'll perform worse than before on a thing I knew already. So it's just like you said, the brain can't handle it, so it'll forget to be able to learn something else. Guess I'm lucky only because I only need little exercise to learn something new, so that I can manage to relearn anything really quickly.

It could be just like that - you learn something new (you may not be aware of it) and regress in something you knew how to do well before. I found that the first skills I do forget are the simple ones that one does automatically without having to think about doing them. I can't drive myself, but I heard that driving involves a lot of these automatic skills.