Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ShogunSalute
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Sep 2009, 7:06 am

hello, i'm new. but i have read alot of topics and posts here. i am wondering, is there a sub-forum, or could there be a sub-forum only for people who have been professionally diagnosed? it makes me feel sick on the inside to read posts by self-diagnosed people and people who treat this like a special club rather than a disorder. AS is glorified here alot. it's so pathetic. i just want to talk to people like myself. can there please be a forum just for people who actually have AS for sure? i hate this feeling of not knowing whether someone really has the disorder or just liked the idea of having it. no offence to anyone who is like this, i know you must just want to fit in somewhere.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 7:17 am

I trust my self-diagnosis better than a hundred so-called experts, especially because the experts don't even agree among them.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 7:19 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 7:24 am

I trust my self-diagnosis better than a hundred so-called experts, especially because the experts don't even agree among them.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 7:32 am

Let me ask you this. Did you have Asperger's before you were diagnosed?

I think a large number of people here are undiagnosed only because they can't find an expert and/or can't afford it. There are neurotypicals here too, which I think is great and very beneficial. This forum is about support and education. You are mistaking a feeling of exhilaration at finally finally having an explanation for the very real lifelong difficulties we have experienced as wanting to be cool.

Carlofirst
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Sep 2009, 7:46 am

I understand Aimless, but lets be honoust, its not ONLY about support on wp. Just have a look at ppr. I think shogun will get a lot of replies!

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 7:55 am

I don't know why there should be a forum only for the diagnosed fakers.

24shaz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Sep 2009, 8:28 am

I think it would be utterly impossible to police such a thing - you could ask for letters or medical reports to 'prove' that a person has been diagnosed but - since diagnostic techniques vary from practitioner to practitioner and country to country - you could get a situation where even someone's official dx is questioned.

I self diagnosed before my official dx and was sure my son had autism long before the multi-disciplinary team gave him that diagnosis, there has to be a 'starting point' for people to get to the point of going for a diagnosis and I guess that's where self diagnosis comes in. Of course some people who self dx are going to get it wrong, but I think that those people need support too, as they're identifying with some aspects of aspie traits and probably feeling lonely, isolated or misunderstood.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2009, 8:34 am

Well you could always start one yourself and see what happens. I can assure you, it will be interesting.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 8:49 am

ShogunSalute wrote:
hello, i'm new. but i have read alot of topics and posts here. i am wondering, is there a sub-forum, or could there be a sub-forum only for people who have been professionally diagnosed? it makes me feel sick on the inside to read posts by self-diagnosed people and people who treat this like a special club rather than a disorder. AS is glorified here alot. it's so pathetic. i just want to talk to people like myself. can there please be a forum just for people who actually have AS for sure? i hate this feeling of not knowing whether someone really has the disorder or just liked the idea of having it. no offence to anyone who is like this, i know you must just want to fit in somewhere.

There are many sites for the support of those with AS; we do not differentiate here between those with official diagnoses and those who have arrived here through examining their own experience. If you do not care for the company, I would suggest looking for a site whose membership and POV more closely match your own. Just because one person applies a label doesn't make it any more valid than someone who has the same experience and does not have access to the same services or expertise.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2009, 8:56 am

Umm, and exactly how does one truly differentiate between those who are self-diagnosed and those who have a "legit' diagnosis? All you're asking for is people to do this one crazy thing called: lie.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2009, 9:29 am

KazigluBey wrote:
Umm, and exactly how does one truly differentiate between those who are self-diagnosed and those who have a "legit' diagnosis? All you're asking for is people to do this one crazy thing called: lie.

Or ........... You could have your doctor fax a copy of you diagnosis to the administration of WP who would then issue you a special seal of authenticity which would appear above your avatar. Whichever is easier. :lol:

And then, any of us who doesn't have the seal of approval, could be herded into a special section of our own called the Ghetto. Yeah. That would work. :roll:

Last edited by cosmiccat on 19 Sep 2009, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 9:35 am

cosmiccat wrote:
KazigluBey wrote:

Or ........... You could have your doctor fax a copy of you diagnosis to the administration of WP who would then issue you a special seal of authenticity which would appear above your avatar. Whichever is easier. :lol:

And then, any of us who doesn't have the seal of approval, could be herded into a special section of our own called the Ghetto. Yeah. That would work.

I don't know... maybe you could fake stuff like that? :lol:

I think it's pretty obvious that the current system is the best.

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 9:50 am

Hiya ShogunSalute, Welcome to the forum,

Its a pity you feel as you feel.
We on this forum just try to support each other and many of us feel ourselves at home here, no matter if having a formal diagnosis or not. We dont rate those without diagnosis as having a lower value. For them it can be very important to just talk to us who do have. To them it can be a start on a way towards a diagnosis. All of us started somewhere and many of us got our diagnosis in adult age and have lived our lives quite hard before we got our formal diagnosis. And some people here are roadseakers. Who needs to find if AS is part of their lives or not.

well, you can open a new thread on the autism discussion forum and there simply ask everybody with formal and confirmed diagnosis to raise our hand. Then you stick to those people and thats it if you have difficulties with the presense of the others.....

or if it bother you so much that you feel sick and hate towards those on the forum without diagnosis. Then why not simply ignore them? All of us state weather we are diagnosed and not or "not sure if I have it or not" in our profiles....

and there is people like yourself to find, who knows it might even be in a person without a formal diagnosis....

Last edited by xalepax on 19 Sep 2009, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2009, 9:54 am

Quoting Henriksson:

Quote:
I don't know... maybe you could fake stuff like that? Laughing

:lol:
Quote:
I think it's pretty obvious that the current system is the best.

Ya Mon, dey mus be doin' sumptin' right. 29,562 brudders and sisters. :lol:

Every little thing gonna be alright now.

"This is my message to you-ou-ou:" :lol:

Last edited by cosmiccat on 19 Sep 2009, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2009, 10:46 am

ShogunSalute wrote:
AS is glorified here alot. it's so pathetic. i just want to talk to people like myself. can there please be a forum just for people who actually have AS for sure? i hate this feeling of not knowing whether someone really has the disorder or just liked the idea of having it. no offence to anyone who is like this, i know you must just want to fit in somewhere.

Welcome to WP

A rough guess, at least 1/3 of the people on the forums have much more serious disorders then AS. I assume they are using AS as the disorder of the day until something else pops up.

Asperger’s is a hidden and is unique to each person. There are some common traits with the autism spectrum as a whole and some traits are shared with other disorders. I see no harm in others who may be struggling with the same issues I am having posting.. AS or not.

It's hard for me to accept the DX for myself and my son. I was tested after I was told of my son's AS. But I am not going to allow this uniqueness of ours from letting my son have a good childhood and to be successful in life. Knowing explained a lot of my life.. now I am attempting to embrace who I am.