Aspergers brought up in History Class-I went red

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

RRguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2008, 3:02 pm

In my high-school world history class we were talking about Medicine that was made in China. The topic then switched over to the new study that came out that said vaccine use could be a cause of autism. Then one of the kids in the class brought up Aspergers. As I was listening, my face went beet red. Nobody at my high school knows that i have it, so i guess i was telling everyone that i had it by blushing.

Also, I blush in history class quite everyday when the history teacher calls on me. He is an ex-marine and I like Tanks and Military stuff alot, so I guess im showin modesty. I need advice to stop this blusing problem of mine

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 3:06 pm

Did you correct them on the vaccine study? The one study that showed a link was a fraud, as has now been demonstrated.

Morrissey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2008, 3:27 pm

Hi

I used to do this at school.

One piece of advice is 'to see it coming' before it's happened, if that makes sense. Try to laugh it off within yourself at the moment you feel that excruiciating self-conciousness, draw the attention to something like coughing, or body twitching, checking your pencil case to see where your pencils have all gone!

I use to laugh out loud at anything in the conversation, that would deaden the atmosphere and deflect the attention away from me.

Good luck, you can do it!

Thomas1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2008, 1:35 am

How to stop an involuntary response...okay I like a challenge.

My method probably isn't the healthiest way, but when I feel something like that come on, I just get annoyed with myself and try to focus on the person who is making me blush.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2008, 2:45 am

Your blushing (once it starts) probably only gets worse once you think everyone else has noticed and/or is watching you, since that decreases your comfort level and raises your anxiety.

Trust me, high school kids tend to be too conceited to notice anything outside their little bubble :) Unless you did something to explicitly attract attention to yourself (besides blushing) most likely no one was paying any attention to you at all.

Even if anyone did notice, how could they possibly tell that it was due to the fact that asperger's was being discussed, if you blush in class every day?

Also, if you like this teacher and he seems like a nice guy, you should try talking to him sometime outside of class. Ask him if he has any interesting stories from when he was in the military. Try to strike up a bit of a relationship. Then when he calls on you in class, just try to continue that, and answer him just as if you were talking to him normally (forgetting about the rest of the class)

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 3:32 am

As you gey older you realise that everyone is not watching you. Just drop your head and few will notice

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

IsThatAFact
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2008, 6:19 am

Quote:
As you gey older you realise that everyone is not watching you. Just drop your head and few will notice

I am old and grey and blushing is still a problem :oops:

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 10:55 am

I used to blush All the time. . . I guess for me, the solution was to just roll with it. . . to accept that it was going to happen, and keep moving, and eventually it stopped happening as much.

So basically, if I was somewhere with people, and blushed, I'd just keep acting like I'd been acting. . . and if someone asked me if I had, I'd say, "yeah, I just blushed. and?" and maybe "I blush all the time." and then. . just keep acting like I'd been acting.

The key is, in a lot of ways, to accept yourself how you are-- to change only towards your own goals, not towards somebody else's. When I was in high school, I wanted so desperately to fit in, and I tried so hard, and worried about it all the time, but there was simply no way it was Ever going to happen. I was sometimes reserved, but not shy. In the time since then, a suprising number of people I knew have told me they totally wished they could have been like me, because I didn't seem to care what people thought. . . even though, to me, I was incredibly awkward. . . even though I was the kid who giggled and blushed, couldn't carry a non-intellectual conversation or have normal physical boundaries or know what to wear or say or do to not stick out like. . . well, like someone from another planet.

Remember, it's not what you can do, it's what they think you can do. . . and remember also, that NT's tend to be sheep; they'll often follow as a social norm the example set by the person with the most confidence.

Good luck.

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 9:57 pm

RRguy wrote:
In my high-school world history class we were talking about Medicine that was made in China. The topic then switched over to the new study that came out that said vaccine use could be a cause of autism. Then one of the kids in the class brought up Aspergers. As I was listening, my face went beet red. Nobody at my high school knows that i have it, so i guess i was telling everyone that i had it by blushing.

Also, I blush in history class quite everyday when the history teacher calls on me. He is an ex-marine and I like Tanks and Military stuff alot, so I guess im showin modesty. I need advice to stop this blusing problem of mine

The thing is you don't, it the bragging... the secret that trying to escape you that wanted to tell to people.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 3:43 pm

RRguy wrote:

Honestly, I doubt anyone noticed. What I've learned in my life is that people don't pay attention to you as much as you think they do. Even if they saw you blush, I doubt they connected it to AS, and even if they did connect it to the current conversation, I would be *very* surprised if anyone thought it was because you yourself have AS. Don't worry about it.