Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

mac266
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2008, 1:58 pm

My entire life I've hated the smell of alcohol. I'm not talking about useful alcohols like isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) or methanol (fuel alcohol), but just ethyl alcohol -- i.e. beverage alcohol.

When I smell beverage alcohol, I find it *extremely* annoying and uncomfortable. It's like what most people associate with the "chalk board sound," although that sound doesn't really bother me. Whenever I smell alcohol it annoys me so much I sometimes visibly shudder, and I feel like pinching my nose closed.

Since attaining the legal drinking age (10 years ago), my friends always ponder why I don't like hanging out in bars with them. The alcohol is bad enough, but the CROWDS! AGGGGGHHHHH!! !!

It's only been a couple of months or so since I found out I'm an Aspie, but it explains a lot, no?

Guess what I do for work? I'm a cop, and I specialize in DUI enforcement. Whenever I contact a drunk driver it sends chills up my spine from smelling the alcohol on their breath. On the other hand, other cops are letting drunk drivers go, whereas I know the person has alcohol on board much sooner than my colleagues. Early on in my career I established a reputation as a "walking breathalyzer" because I picked up on drunk drivers better than anyone else. Since then, I've led the city in DUI arrests :)

So, I guess we can say being an Aspie is an advantage from one perspective.

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:17 pm

While I'm sure your ability to detect alcohol isn't pleasant for you, you're certainly saving lives. In your line of work it seems an excellent skill to have!

I understand the sensitivity to smells though, and how downright awful it can be. For me it is the smell of anything burning. In the fall, people are burning yard waste constantly. I have to close all the windows. Same thing in the spring, when people are cleaning up the leftovers of fall and various clutter from the winter. Worse, people around here seem to love to burn garbage. It's more than annoying, it's unbearable.

nofun13
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2008, 3:53 pm

i personally hate the smell of warm donuts. the ones cooked in that wierd can with liquid in, im not sure if you get them in america. its so disgusting hehe, i cant walk near them and have to hold my breath the whole time im around them :?