Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

trashcanpoet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2008, 8:54 pm

Something I mentioned in the Look Me in the Eye thread got me thinking about this. When I was in my early teens (in the late 1990s) I developed, after seeing her in a movie, a fanatical obsession with Cyndi Lauper. I dressed like her, talked like her, and collected every picture of her I found in a magazine, taping them to a giant posterboard I kept in my room. I know teenagers get heroes and crushes but I don't think taking it to that level is quite normal. I feel like it could rank among some of my other Aspie obsessions, except it was an obsession with a person, not a thing or a subject. I find it especially strange since she wasn't one of the hot stars with young people in that time... she had a cult following, but in the time when she had huge mainstream popularity, I was just a baby. I think it stemmed from finding someone who was really oddball and "different" when I felt completely removed from "normal" people-- someone who was PROUD to be weird. Anyway, did anyone else ever have a similar experience?

P.S. I still get idols but now they're writers... and I try to keep my obsessions to myself

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 10:11 pm

Maybe sort of similar. I have a tendency to become obsessed with people who are only the slightest bit famous and worship them like huge celebrities. I'm only half-serious about these obsessions, though. On a serious level, I don't believe in heros or hero worship. On a fun level, I can't help indulging in these obsessions. And I think there's something humorous about worshipping some old guy who was the vocalist in an obscure punk rock band twenty years ago.

HolyDiver
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Apr 2008, 12:52 am

I must say, I do this too. I basically worship former Iron Maiden singer Blaze Bayley. Then again, what happened was that his voice is so unique and powerful, and his lyrics talk about being the underdog, standing your ground, standing up for what you believe in, even when it feels as if the whole world is against you. It taught me to always be strong, never back down. The music taught me principle, honor, and strength, and never let my dreams die. I remember when I had finally decided to take my life about a year ago, I decided to listen to my favorite album of his one more time before my honourable death (Seppeku, aka, belly slicing, or impaling oneself through the stomach with a Katana... and yes, I was going to do this :roll: ).

The music, his lyrics, and his voice were so powerful, that I stopped right then and there fell to my knees with tears pouring from my eyes. They were not tears of misery, but rather tears of passion, tears joy, and tears of the determination a man who was revived and had found the courage to stand up once more, and not give up. And ever since that moment, I have become a stronger, more intelligent, a more determined and disciplined person since then.

Anyone who can bring someone back to life from their own oblivion while being more than 1,000 miles away truly is a powerful being, one that is awe inspiring, and truly "The Messiah" (as they actually do call him, after his "Silicon Messiah" Album) and a savior. I have had the honor of talking to him many a time in my career. I've never had the chance to tell him that. And I hope that someday, I'll have the courage to tell him. I'm just afraid of the idea that he might consider me to be a nut job and get scared. To have that happen would be the death of me, the destruction of a very vital part of my foundation.

I don't know whether it's the aspie in me that's obsessive or not. Anyone can become obsessed with someone, especially when that person has saved their lives, moved them in ways unimaginable. Perhaps since I am an Aspie and am more sensitive and have deeper emotions, perhaps he was able to move me more... or maybe he's just has that powerful of an impact. Either way, I'm not ashamed of it and have no reason to be. They call me obsessed, I call it adamantly dedicated.

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 1:00 am

I have this too, though usually they are fictional characters (i.e. from my favorite TV shows or books)....

I haven't ever hero-worshipped a real person.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 8:33 am

I am currently interested in Roger Bannister. His life is one of accomplishment, both in sports and in life. He showed that not winning a gold medal at the Olympics (he came in fourth at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics in the 1,500 meters-the metric mile) was not the end of the world. He went on to have a distinguished life, becoming a neurologist, marrying Moyra Jacobssen, an artist, and becoming the father of four children, who went on to give the couple 14 grandchildren. All of the children grew up to have good lives, although none were athletes, as far as I know.

The amazing thing to me about Roger Bannister is that he grew up feeling different and as something of a misfit. His studious habits made him unpopular with his classmates and he was very quiet and shy. Running helped him find friendship. He has been married over 50 years and his friendships made through running have also lasted over a half century. Bannister's story gives me hope that I could accomplish something someday, although maybe not at his world-class level.

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2008, 9:06 am

Yeah I have the hero worship thing. I haven't had it bad in a long time (or ever), but I have sought to imitate people like John Lennon and Marlon Brando very much in different periods of my life. I could see how, if things had been slightly different, one of these hero worship trips could've gotten way out of hand.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 9:10 am

There was a time that I've worshiped Austin Powers, to the point, that I've turned into him. :P

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 10:02 am

i have always liked cyndi lauper too, or anyone dressing special, i have something with people who dress like if they are from a carnival or circus (and often do so myself, even in my jobs i often have very long skirts, or special hair colour, or unusual accessories, and this from very young age)
not sure if the obsession with the clothes also makes me obsessed with the person?

i have something with decorating people in general, like a person could be some kind of work of art.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 11:05 am

Jaded wrote:
I have this too, though usually they are fictional characters (i.e. from my favorite TV shows or books)....

I haven't ever hero-worshipped a real person.

Same here. When it comes to fictional characters from specific series I love, I see them all as my heroes and I love each and every one of them as though they were my personal best friends. They kind of take on a life of their own within my own mind, and then I start to consider them as real people.

I've talked to my counselor about it, and she said it was a brilliant way to cope with loneliness, and that since it isn't hurting anyone there's no reason to stop. The other day, my mom told me that my love for fictional characters was the best gift I ever gave myself.