Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 6:46 pm

Okay, I'll admit it, I run like hell when I see (or hear) a bee. I am utterly terrified of being stung. I think it's my aspie-ness and my aversion to certain sensory input.

I'm not a wimp when it comes to pain, it isn't that. I don't like being taken off guard by some tiny little insect that has the power to produce a nasty sharp pain, possibly when I don't even know it and definitely when I'm not prepared. I can handle pain I am prepared for. I delivered 9 and 10 pound babies without a drop of pain medication. But I was ready, I expected it.

The worst part of this is that they seem attracted to me like a magnet.

Anyhow, anyone else terrified of bees or have a similar issue?

ShizzleMacDaddy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Apr 2008, 6:50 pm

AHHHHHHHHHH BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! !! !! !! !! ruined elementary and middle school for me... I ALWAYS had to cover my neck and it seemed like they were stalking me everywhere. GARRRRRRR the memories. My parents would always tell me that there were no bees anywhere and that I was just seeing things but I never believed them because I KEPT GETTING STUNG. Now I jump every time i hear a buzz or when a fly zips past my face and stuff like that. I also hate spiders... because my stepdad made me watch this video on poisonous spiders.

Last edited by ShizzleMacDaddy on 08 Apr 2008, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2008, 6:54 pm

yes, it's my one and only phobia. i've ridden on rollercoaster, had a barb of metal driven into my foot, and i've been bitten by a spider, which I hear is exactly the same as being stung by a bee, and I hardly felt it. In fact i wouldn't mind if a spider bit me again.
But for some reason I am terrified of getting stung by a bee or wasp. Primarily because, like you, I hate the thought of the sudden stabbing pain and the idea of delayed throbbing. I've never been stung by one. My other reason, which I often think is my only reason but I can never be sure, is anaphylaxis. My life long obsession is biology, and my fear of bees really took off when I heard about bee allergies. I learned that you only find out if you're allergic after your second sting. I learned what happens during anaphylactic shock. When a bee or wasp lands on me i literally stop moving, and i can't move again till it leaves.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 7:03 pm

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2008, 7:16 pm

I have a phobia of bees and hornets, although it has diminished quite a bit over the years. I would say the level of fear I experience when exposed to these terrible creatures is about on par with that of fire trucks and motorcycles. Nothing worth losing sleep over.

And honeybees are kind of cute.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 7:28 pm

Stinging and biting insects, or even thinking I might run into them, just drive me into panic mode. Images of biting and stinging insects don't scare me, though. A news story last summer on bed-bugs terrified me so much I had trouble sleeping out of fear of bed-bugs. It keeps me from going out into nature as much as I'd like to (and bug spray isn't 100% effective) If I had some kind of force field that kept the little bastards away from me I would be very happy.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 7:32 pm

Grey_Kameleon wrote:

No, it's bumblebees that are cute, and they don't sting. :D Ladybugs are cute, but they also bite! 8O

ShizzleMacDaddy

08 Apr 2008, 7:33 pm

Odin wrote:
A news story last summer on bed-bugs terrified me so much I had trouble sleeping out of fear of bed-bugs.

When we learned about those in 8th grade science class I went home and washed all my sheets and still had trouble sleeping for several days.

Scarlet_N
Raven
Raven

08 Apr 2008, 7:39 pm

Ahaha!

It's hilarious all the strange things we tend to have in common!

I am terrified of bees! They cause a knot of pure fear within me, fight or flight!

And it's not the pain, I've more than a dozen tattoos, which wasn't scary at all.

Just the BEES!

:)

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 7:40 pm

I've lived in places where you can't open a soda without having a few flying after you, wanting a sugary drink, and I've been stung a few times. If it's any consolation, most of them die a short while after they sting you.

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2008, 7:45 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
If it's any consolation, most of them die a short while after they sting you.

Not wasps. Oh how evil is the wasp! A creature which makes no honey, will attack on a whim, and not only can it attack repeatedly, it will do so. Just because.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 7:48 pm

Daewoodrow wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

Not wasps. Oh how evil is the wasp! A creature which makes no honey, will attack on a whim, and not only can it attack repeatedly, it will do so. Just because.

I heard their sting hurts more too, but I can't say; I've never been stung by a wasp.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 8:09 pm

Odin wrote:
Grey_Kameleon wrote:

No, it's bumblebees that are cute, and they don't sting. :D Ladybugs are cute, but they also bite! 8O

Ladybugs BITE!?!?!? I have encountered DOZENS of ladybugs, and never had a bite.

BTW I am generally not afraid of any non poisonous/contagious insect. If I see a bee or wasp, I tend to get away at the first chance, but I don't run or act really different.

I used to have a tarantulla as a pet! I once had a few thousand(ok, maybe only a few hundred) prayingmantises in my bedroom! I hatched them from eggs, and was surprised to see all the "ants" in my bedroom when I came home from school! I was happily surprised to find they were praying mantises! I let jumping spiders live, try killing flies, ants, cockroaches.(Thankfully, flies are rare where I live, there are no cockroaches, and I haven't let the ants get within 30 feet of my home.). I am careful around dark calm spaces, because there might be black widows, and careful around brown spiders that might be brown recluse.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 8:22 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Daewoodrow wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

I heard their sting hurts more too, but I can't say; I've never been stung by a wasp.

It hurts a LOT MORE. For a comparison, a bee sting is like someone throwing a stick at you, and a wasp/hornet sting is like someone beating you with a baseball bat repeatedly.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

08 Apr 2008, 8:22 pm

Bees are attracted to movement. If you run away from a bee, you are more likely to get stung than if you stand still and forget that it's even there.

When there was a bees nest at my house a few years ago, the bee keeper who came to get the bees away told me that.

I know that standing still instead of running away will not stop the fear in someone with a fear of bees, but it might stop the sting. :)

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 8:26 pm

Brittany2907 wrote:
Bees are attracted to movement. If you run away from a bee, you are more likely to get stung than if you stand still and forget that it's even there.

When there was a bees nest at my house a few years ago, the bee keeper who came to get the bees away told me that.

I know that standing still instead of running away will not stop the fear in someone with a fear of bees, but it might stop the sting. :)

I've never been stung running. I've been stung a couple times sitting still. My dad once told me, "If you stay perfectly still and wait for it to investigate and go it's way, it won't sting you."

I learned quickly (and painfully) that was not necessarily the case. Also got stung once when I fell asleep on the beach. That was not pleasant to wake up to.