Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 7:28 pm

Do you get this a lot: "Why don't you have a light on?"

My grandparents are always doing that to me; I apparently read in light that is "too dim." I don't mind light; in fact I like light and if it's not sunny for long enough I get really seasonal affect-y and tired. However I just never really notice light not being bright enough. If I can read in it, I can read in it.

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 7:59 pm

I have the exact same problem.

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 8:40 pm

Serissa wrote:

My grandparents are always doing that to me; I apparently read in light that is "too dim." I don't mind light; in fact I like light and if it's not sunny for long enough I get really seasonal affect-y and tired. However I just never really notice light not being bright enough. If I can read in it, I can read in it.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how old are you? I am 18, and if I can read in it, I can read in it too. I don't think it's good for your eyes though. You might be able to read, but if the light is too dim, your eyes still strain to read even though you don't notice.

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2005, 8:42 pm

My mum's always telling me to put a light on. I'm always telling her that I'm not being all melodramatic and adolescent, I just prefer the dark.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 9:42 pm

I go through periods of being very fond of light-- though I never like it bright. But I do like to see what I'm eating.

But then I don't mind reading in dull light because lights actually bring out more problems with my left eye's astigmatism, which is really giving me problems right now. In my left eye, bright pages seem to take on an irridescent glow and I have difficulty focusing. So now my left eye just keeps getting weaker and weaker while my right eye does most of the work.

I often try to exercise my left eye to keep it in a little better shape by closing my right for a time and just using my left. Makes for some interesting depth-perception problems during my "workout", hehe. :D

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 12:12 am

I have the same problem - my house is very dark all the time - the lights are mostly to prevent me from running into things or tripping over cats . . . :lol:

Laynie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2005, 12:36 am

I never like bright light. I think the weather should be constantly overcast. :-) I used to read in dim light, but as I age, the light requirements are now up to "normal" NT standards. I hear that happens.

I was interested to read about Sophist's astigmatism. I have that too, and it's very bad in my left eye, too. The other thing is that I have a large blind spot in my left eye, nasal side, big oval, appeared when I was 19. Of course, I had all the tests and they never found anything, but sometimes I wonder if it's related to being an Aspie. Like maybe the optic nerve passes by the amydala or the pituitary gland, and maybe my brain is shaped differently in those locations than in NTs, and caused a problem with that part of the optic nerve. Just wondering. Anyone else out there with unexplained medium to large blind spots?

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 12:38 am

Only put up with bright light/overhead fixture when I've a task that needs it. Otherwise, I much prefer low/indirect/tinted illumination. Despise fluorescent ones, even if they're more economical or efficient-they make everything look unwell. A blacklight or the colorful generic screensaver are nice options for night-lights. Have tendency to smash my shins or stub toes on furniture on a daily basis, since I try to not turn on a light, thinking I can make it through the room in the dark. For years, I've used christmas lights year-round, indoors-so very nice, can see but it's dim. Also flatters a person's looks-like "soft-focus" lighting(the xmas lites).
When I was a kid, I'd get warned not to watch tv in the dark, but I liked it & still do-it's no different than going to a movie theater, they turn off the lights and all you see is the screen.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 2:35 am

I get told off for using the computer with no lights on.

I like them on to read, but only at night. I like natural light way more than I like artificial.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 4:28 am

I used to read in pure darkness

kolrabi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2005, 4:36 am

Serissa wrote:

My mum often told me exactly that. Well maybe not exactly. She used to say "Warum machst du dir denn kein Licht an?". But the meaning is exactly the same I think. :)

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 5:09 am

I usually switch on lights when I don't need to. My Mum chases me around the house switching off lights that I've put on.

Its a bit hypocritical coming from me though, because I am meant to be an environmentalist - saving power and all that.

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 6:18 am

No one asks me about my lighting choices (or lack thereof) but I know I like to keep it dim.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 7:05 am

Bec wrote:
I hope you don't mind me asking, but how old are you? I am 18, and if I can read in it, I can read in it too. I don't think it's good for your eyes though. You might be able to read, but if the light is too dim, your eyes still strain to read even though you don't notice.

Nineteen. I've always been like this. Even before I started wearing glasses (but needed them). I don't mind turning on bright lights (though the hovering of my grandparents can be tedious) but I just never think to bother with them.

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2005, 8:38 am

Love dim light candles usually to do anything

I spent 2 years reeding in the dark with my covers over my head the 5 years in glasses to fix the problem I had caused I did not stop reeding in the dark tho

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 8:56 am

I do get this a lot from my parents. I'm living in their basement right now, and there are 4 overhead lights. I think they are 75 watts each.
So a lot of times I don't see the need for all that light. And when they burn out I don't change the bulbs.

I also print things out from the internet sometimes in really small print. This also meets with considerable criticism. But I had my vision tested recently and it was 20/15.