Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

HereComeTheLizards
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2008, 6:45 pm

Last week I was assessed for cognitive behavioural therapy, and was told to go home and think about it. My mother asked about it yesterday, and I said it was unlikely I could hack it for long. But what about fitting in better into society, she said? 'Society' has not treated me well during my life, I replied, and I don't see why I should engage in large amounts of hard work for a minor improvement that probably won't last. I don't feel like having CBT just so I can have tedious small talk with people I don't know or like.

But you have to live in society, says mother. To be honest, I said, society can go **** itself. It's made quite clear it's feelings for me.

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2008, 6:52 pm

Therapy should be about you being happier. If you think you will be happier and "function" better (however you define that) with some therapy, then do it. If you don't, then don't. Can it really hurt to give it a try? Sounds like your mind is already made up, though - society sucks, so why bother is your attitude. But I feel like that is a dangerous mindset to have, because one day you might feel really isolated (I know I have) and regret not taking a little bit of time to improve your people skills or whatever your CBT is supposed to do.

Thomas1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2008, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Last week I was assessed for cognitive behavioural therapy, and was told to go home and think about it.

Was that a CBT joke?

Aegius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2008, 6:58 pm

Look, you don't need to fit in with society right now. Just try to fit in with other social deviates like us, Aspies and then you can deal with mainstream society.

Go join an Asperger/Austism group and discuss your problems with the people there.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 9:27 pm

society is the sea in which AS swim...;)

yeah, when you're ready, the more of a handle you have on your fellow human beans, the easier it will be.