health care, electrical engineering, and martial arts

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

sojournertruth
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2008, 1:44 am

I train in a local aikido dojo, and doing so has greatly helped my coordination and being able to be touched by other people. There are some aspects of training that seem designed for people with AS, from deliberate shaking and repeditive motion during warm-ups, to avoiding eye-contact, to the emphasis both on focus and on learning to widen one's awareness. Probably half of the men at my dojo are electrical enginers, including our sensei, and better than half of the women are in health care.

People who actually stay with a martial art after starting it are pretty rare, and I wonder if having AS makes one more likely to stick with a martial art and/or more likely to succeed at it (depending on the emphasis of the particular dojo).

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

emoboxergeek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2008, 3:01 am

Yes, I have a friend who is now a blackbelt and an instructor at karate who's AS.

RockyMtnAspieMom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2008, 10:48 am

Making a commitment to black belt is the martial arts way. It's more common than you think to really stick with it.

:D

sojournertruth
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2008, 7:15 pm

Out of probably 20 people who started as white belts the same year that I did, only 5 made it all the way to brown belt. Of those 5, only I made it to shodan. I'm speaking from personal experience, not supposition.