Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Torak
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2005, 12:28 pm

I am now totally convinced I have AS by several new pieces of information.

In a conversation with my mother I found out that my parents were aware I was different from other children by the time I was three years old. When we had some friends visiting I'd leave them in the sitting-room with my toys, take one toy and go off alone to my room to play (several other parents commented on it then and more so as I got older).

When you combine that with the facts that:
1) I am hypersensitive
2) I was born 8 weeks premature
3) I had breathing difficulties
4) Forceps delivery
5) My mother was regularly exposed to mercury during pregnancy (dental nurse)

The final piece of the puzzle that convinces me my self-diagnosis was accurate.

Convincing a doctor would be something different, but relatively unimportant from the perspective of my own process of self-discovery and acceptance (and this takes priority over the worthless opinions of the local quacks).

I have managed to get a referral, but that was mainly for depression & sleep problems although I intend to raise the issue of AS when I get to see a therapist (social workers first... *yawn*).

Cheers,

Torak

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2005, 12:41 pm

Maybe if you think of some of your behaviour as it relates to the diagnostic "triad", I just let rattle about social/communication difficulties when they got me started but I think it would have been far more coherent if I'd written some of the things down. It would certainly have saved time.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2005, 1:27 pm

Mercury, pah!

But great you're convinced. Hope meeting with the new therapist works out well. :D :D :D

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2005, 2:03 pm

Torak wrote:
When you combine that with the facts that:
1) I am hypersensitive
2) I was born 8 weeks premature
3) I had breathing difficulties
4) Forceps delivery
5) My mother was regularly exposed to mercury during pregnancy (dental nurse)

I can agree that your behaviour seems to go along with AS very well, and the hypersensitive part fits into everything perfectly because many people with AS also have hypersensitivity (I think auditory is the most common and it is not as severe as full-blown autism) problems.

However, there has been a lot of controversy, both within the general population, as well as the medical community, about the effects of mercury on young children. In theory, mercury is poisonous, but there have been several experts who do not believe that there is a direct link between mercury (particularly within common childhood vaccines, such as the MMR and the DTP) and autism. :|

Torak
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2005, 2:24 pm

That's quite true regarding the mercury but I am of the general opinion that many experts will say what the pharmaceuticals industry pay them to say and that politics talks louder than science.

(cynical, me? Noooo :wink: )

MercuryAvatar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Oct 2005, 2:49 pm

<off topic>
Mercury?
Was actually thinking of the god of commerce/trading for my name, loosely, had forgotten the possibly link between mercury and autism. In short, just another faux pax in the life of me. >_<
</off topic>

Regardless, glad you'll be seeing someone. I'm still waiting on my father, although at this point, I should probably pick up the slack and help look. Lazy me :(

Good luck with the therapist, and I hope you have a fruitful relationship.

Torak
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2005, 3:13 pm

Thanks.

I forgot to mention the previous post I made (6 months ago) which went into more details, but revolved around social problems and my own knowledge of being different, also AQ 41 (I think), EQ 6 SQ 58. I never knew about my mother's revelations then.

I stim a lot also, but mainly either flexing my leg (left usually), stroking my little finger's fingernail with my forefinger after wrapping my left little-finger up in the ring finger & mid digit, also I love feeling textures on plastic chairs' arms and semi-smooth plastic items.

I heard enough to convince me, which proved a relief in many ways as I now understand a great deal more about myself.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2005, 3:28 pm

True, true. One should always be taking their morning dose of Skepticism for the day. :D Does a mind good.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/