Why do people take jokes offensively?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

30 Apr 2008, 9:53 pm

They're just jokes, they're not real. They are meant to be funny. Even non aspies do this too, they also take them offensively. Amish jokes, polish jokes, black jokes, redneck jokes, blonde jokes, ret*d jokes, aspie jokes, etc. all get taken offensively by people. Even parody songs.
I was flamed on IMDB by a couple aspies when I made a joke about Cruella De Vil having AS because she meets the criteria and I said why. I was making fun of her behavior from the movie. But when I posted it on here in the movie section, no one wigged out about it, in fact I only got a few replies, maybe three. No one certinally wigged out about it on zomg, nor on Intensity. heck even my own aspie buddies thought it was funny when I told it to them.
Also the fact when I was 19, my boss wouldn't even play Weird Al because she was afraid customers get offended by his songs such as Amish Paradise because Amish people go in there to shop. She even banned me from telling jokes there because she didn't want any of my jokes to offend so it was best if she told me no jokes at all and no talk about Weird Al.

So why do people take parodies and jokes offensively? When will everyone get it through their heads, jokes aren't real?

smheath
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Apr 2008, 9:57 pm

Jokes aren't really meant as jokes. They're a way for people to express their contempt for certain races/sexes/disabilities/etc. without just coming out and saying it, and in a way that encourages others to join in.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

30 Apr 2008, 10:21 pm

Some jokes may offend certain people because they might personally relate to the joke. For example, saying a joke about a blonde might offend someone because they might have a blonde friend/family member.
Even if a joke is "just a joke", some people have a tendency to take everything personally.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

30 Apr 2008, 10:29 pm

In the workplace it's best to make sure you know who you are joking with since a lot of people will snitch you out to the Boss to suck up rather than tell you they don't like it. I've offended people myself with humor that they didn't appreciate.

nomnom_hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2008, 10:36 pm

I dunno why they do that.

At my job, its your momma jokes all the way.

They can't tell the boss though, because he's either the one dishing it out or taking it back.

Its weird. Maybe you're boss feels left out?

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 10:37 pm

smheath wrote:
Jokes aren't really meant as jokes. They're a way for people to express their contempt for certain races/sexes/disabilities/etc. without just coming out and saying it, and in a way that encourages others to join in.

That's what I have thought before, that sometimes people say what they really think in a form of a joke, so it isn't always just a joke.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 10:46 pm

smheath wrote:

Why was 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Get it? 7 ATE 9! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OH YEAH, that's a numerist joke! :evil:

OK, how about this one!

A woman gets on an elevator, and says TGIF. A guy says S.H.I.T! She is APPALLED! She says TEEEE.GEEEEE.IIIIII.EF!? He says S.H.I.T! She says "Thank God It's Friday"!?!?!?!? He says "Sorry Honey It's Thursday"! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh well, I heard that is supposed to be a dumb blond joke. Frankly, I'm fine with blonds!

30 Apr 2008, 10:48 pm

Jokes never offend me.

smheath

30 Apr 2008, 10:52 pm

:sigh:

Since the OP specified racist/Aspie/ret*d jokes, I assumed it was obvious that that was what I meant as well.

Anyway, SpokaneGirl, maybe you just need to consider your audience. An Aspie joke on WrongPlanet will be laughed at. But on IMDB, people might not realize that you are an Aspie or they may even think you are self-hating, which is considered offensive to pretty much all groups.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

30 Apr 2008, 10:59 pm

nomnom_hamster wrote:
I dunno why they do that.

At my job, its your momma jokes all the way.

They can't tell the boss though, because he's either the one dishing it out or taking it back.

Its weird. Maybe you're boss feels left out?

Your momma jokes are stupid low brow s**t. Actually since I've been working Union many of the Bosses on jobs tend to be Vulgarians themselves!

So a Priest a Rabbi and a Soiux Medicine Man walk into a bar. The bartender looks at them and says, "What is this a joke?".

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 10:34 am

I think that anyone who is that offended by a joke has serious insecurity issues.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 11:55 am

I like jokes. I try not to be offended, and I try not to tell offensive jokes. :D but I can understand how people can be offended. In your example, you made reference to a joke in which you suspect that Cruella De Vil of having Asperger Syndrome. You have to be careful, because by pointing out her "Aspie" traits, you could come across as equating all people with AS to Cruella De Vil. So I try not to be offended by jokes, but you can't blame people for taking offense at some situations, as long as they express their displeasure in a tactful and pleasant manner.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 12:01 pm

When I worked at a wing joint, it was offensive jokes all the way. I was the only white person there, my coworkers were all Black, Mexican or Arab, and they knew all the best jokes making fun of themselves. We'd make fun of each other, make fun of the customers, make fun of people on the radio, we had a great time. Offensive jokes aren't about some sort of "camouflage" for offensive opinions, they're just funny. Being able to laugh at yourself, and stereotypes about yourself isn't self hate, it's just not taking yourself too seriously. The whole "you can only tell an offensive joke if you're a member of the maligned group" thing is ridiculous, and prior restraint. When I've gotten this from people offended at a joke I've told, I'll always claim to be a quarter black/Mexican/ret*d just to mess with their heads, it's often funnier than the joke itself. I also dated a black girl for six years, it was like having super powers as far as racist jokes go. I could say all sorts of offensive things, then just say "hey honey', and give her a kiss, worked every time. She also knew all the best black jokes...

DanteRF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2008, 12:21 pm

smheath wrote:

What about jokes that are at themselves? No its for entertainment. Those that take jokes like you do is irrational. Some are offensive which is usually when it is termed an offensive joke.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2008, 2:11 pm

Well I never really did understand, and then I became staff on a self harm support site.
Suicide jokes are not good, if you tell it and the person has been affected first hand by suicide it can really really hit them.

Suicide and abuse.

Apart from that...I don't really get it.
That said im not great with jokes, I find it hard to understand them and often find myself laughing like an idiot just because I know its meant to be a joke :)

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 2:39 pm

Dox47 wrote:
When I worked at a wing joint, We'd make fun of each other, make fun of the customers, make fun of people on the radio, we had a great time.

Wow, that's amazing. When I was in radio, I used to make fun of the 'tards at the wing joint! :geek:

I'm a blond and blond jokes don't offend me. Everybody makes fun of blonds, but everybody wants to sleep with one. NP.

The jokes that offend me are the ones that just weren't funny to begin with.