Do people with AS react more strongly to pain?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Zancaur
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 May 2008, 5:00 pm

I have always reacted very strongly to pain. That which has only caused discomfort to others, I may have interpreted as very painful.
Is this typical for people with AS, or am I just a giant wuss? :P

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 5:06 pm

Some people with AS are very unsensitive to pain, others are very sensitive. I have a high pain threshold, which was frequently commented by my peers when I was younger.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 5:09 pm

i have a high pain tolerance but im also quite sensitive to touch so sometimes i sorta instinctively over react to some thing that only hurts little when i didn't expect it.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

04 May 2008, 5:12 pm

My step father can give me a "chinese burn" and to me, it only feels like a tickle, where as to others it is very painful and they can't tollerate it.

So no, I don't react strongly to pain, I am the opposite.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

04 May 2008, 5:42 pm

I think that's what we call an "Indian Burn" here in the states. My pain threshold ranges from high if I'm too busy to notice to about average.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 5:46 pm

I don't know about AS, but I know many people with NLD (including myself) are hyposensitive to pain. This can sometimes be bad, as in my case of multiple untreated ear infections (including one ruptured ear drum) and untreated appendicitis that led to a ruptured appendix. In addition, most autistic children (autistic disorder not AS) I have known show little to no reaction to pain.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 6:13 pm

With some pain, I am hypersensitive. Anything on my hands or fingers, or in my mouth.

With most pain, I am hypOsensitive. I delivered a 9 lb baby and a 10 lb baby without so much as a drop of pain medication. I have a lot of nerve pain I mostly block out. I don't take pain relievers for anything.

Ah, except kidney stones. OMG. All bets are off when it comes to that!

DanteRF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2008, 6:28 pm

I am unsensitized, partly due to AS and partly due to being hurt so many times, get used to the pain.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 7:03 pm

Apparently, MOST people with AS are LESS sensitive to a lot of types of pain.(generally what NTs would consider painful) I am that way also. When I was in about the 2nd grade, I was actually distracted for a time, and there was a hot soldering GUN(the kind with TWO connections on the gun side, and the tip covered about 2" by 3" with a tip that was perhaps 1/4") underneath my arm. Something went wrong with that stupid gun. It stayed ON, it burned the carpet, and the gun ITSELF melted(The green plastic case warped and the side on the rug burned)

BTW the gun looked SOMETHING like this:

http://tucson.craigslist.org/tls/666081482.html

(Mine was cleaner, and kind of green plastic with a black trigger, but a craftsman)

Anyway, It seared the skin on my lower right arm(So you could see a welt in the form of the "tip"(The WHOLE thing from solder end to the gun)) I didn't even know my arm was there until I saw it. I had NO discernable pain, and today you would never know it happened!

Of course, like 9 years later, someone tried to bug me by burning me with cigarette butts. I ignored it. I told everyone that I had hot oil spilled on my arm. Still, no special treatments, and still fine.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 7:07 pm

Pain doesn't bother me alot.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 7:11 pm

I can't really say for me.in some cases it can be annoying, in some cases not..

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 7:14 pm

Both me and my son have a high pain threshold, and are very calm in bad situations.

But I do wonder if our emotions come out in another way, overloads, meltdowns from time to time...

beautifuloblivion
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 7:28 pm

Personally, I find that many types of pain feel good. I especially like the feeling of tenderness in my hands after I've punched a wall.

bookwormde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2008, 7:32 pm

Pain as with all sensory sensitivities can be above or below NT standard levels and can be both in the same person dependent on intellectual involvement with the event.

bookwormde

skeeterhawk
Raven
Raven

04 May 2008, 7:37 pm

I am hyposensitive to many types of pain, but not all types. I had a gangrenous gall bladder that almost ruptured and felt only an hour of not-unbearable pain. However, when I stub my toe, it really hurts and I curse left and right. Some sensations are overwhelming but not painful per se.

Thus the generalization is that physical sensitivities can be very uneven. Some low. Some high. It is wise for all on the spectrum to learn where the dangers are since a missed injury can have serious consequences.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 7:59 pm

I'm not going out of my way looking for it, if that's what you mean...;)