Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2010, 3:47 pm

I had to play secretary today and talk to at least 12 different people over the phone. I never talk to people on the phone but today was just an influx of everyone calling my house. A couple of offices that called, the secretaries were... not in good moods. The first SS office that called screwed up an appointment and made it appear to be my fault, but I handled that one surprisingly well, I thought. The final phone call was one a doctor office secretary, and she complained I needed an appointment this week or else. I tried telling her I can't but then she got angry. I was trying not to let her catch on that I was going to be switching doctors (the place is a dump now), but I think she figured it out and wouldn't let up. So I got angry, told her that I wasn't scheduling another appointment, and hung up. (At least I didn't curse her off. Yay?)

Phones are EVIL. :evil: (I doubt I'm the only one who shares this sentiment).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 3:56 pm

I can't stand talking on the phone. I hate phoning places. I just never know, who's going to answer the phone.

hutchscott
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2010, 4:55 pm

I keep my phone turned off. I get anxious waiting for a telephone call and then when it rings I get startled and jump.

My first girlfriend was deaf so her phone was wired to the lighting system. I might be able to tolerate that better.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 5:05 pm

Cell stays on vibrate - even that's annoying when its buzzing across the dresser.

My land line had several different ring choices, one is a nice muted sound, like phones in a doctor's office, though if I'm not in the room, I don't hear it.

In any case, I never answer the phone. That's what answering machines and voice mail are for. Until I know who's on the other end, I'm not touching it. Then I'll decide if I feel like talking to them right now, or if I'll call them back later...or not.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 6:58 pm

I thought it was just me!

I absolutely detest answering the phone. I will only take the call if I recognise the number, or if one of the few names in my phone's address book is on the display.

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 7:36 pm

Yeah, I'm not good with phones. When someone's calling my mobile, it tells me who it is if they're in my contacts list so that's okay. If it's an unknown number, I usually don't answer, and wait for them to text instead. I mean, if someone wants to contact me that badly, they'll find a way somehow :wink:

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 7:55 pm

I'm OK with regular phone calls, but when its a telemarketer, they get to know my full vocabulary of swear words. They also get an occasional death threat. They are wasting my time to try to sell me something I would never buy even if my life depended on it. The world would be a better place if all telemarketers suddenly dropped dead.

pandorazmtbox
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2010, 8:04 pm

oh! I hate the phone too. Does anyone else have a hard time following the conversation if the phone is in the "wrong" ear?

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 8:48 pm

I dislike the phone too, partially because I have only one sense (hearing) to rely on to process and understand what the other person is saying. So even though I heard them perfectly well, I end up saying "What?" multiple times till my brain catches up to my ears, making me appear a lot dumber than I actually am.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 8:53 pm

pandorazmtbox wrote:
oh! I hate the phone too. Does anyone else have a hard time following the conversation if the phone is in the "wrong" ear?

Yes!

I absolutely must put the phone beside my left ear or the words don't get past my eardrum.

pandorazmtbox
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2010, 8:56 pm

adifferentname wrote:
pandorazmtbox wrote:

Yes!

I absolutely must put the phone beside my left ear or the words don't get past my eardrum.

Me too! Same ear! I end up all confused and can't follow--and forget it if I'm trying to do something else while on the phone with the right ear. It's almost like it's deaf...but I can hear perfectly fine. Wow...for the longest time I thought everyone had this. Then I found out they didn't, and I felt so...defective. I love this place right now, and each and every one of you. :)

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 9:17 pm

pandorazmtbox wrote:
It's almost like it's deaf...but I can hear perfectly fine.

Exactly how I would describe it.

I experience something similar when I go out and have to talk to someone. I always have music playing on my MP3 when I leave the house - wall of sound/sensory buffer. I travel by bus when I visit family.

Recently I stepped onto the bus carrying a bag in my left hand. I took out the right earpiece and gave the driver the usual fare - which I had ready in my hand before the bus had arrived - stating the destination. Usually I'd grab the ticket from the machine at this point and go to the back of the bus, but he hadn't put it through.

It took me a moment to realise he was trying to tell me something. I can only imagine what he thought of me as I put the right earpiece back in and removed the left earpiece with my right hand. It turns out that the fares had gone up over the weekend - which he'd clearly already told me - so I owed him 10p.

To add insult to injury, I keep my change in my left pocket and nearly always wear jeans. By this time I had become so uncomfortable at being the centre of attention - I could feel the other passengers staring without the need to look - that I did not even consider putting my bag down or switching it to my other hand. I ended up dropping my keys on the floor as I fumbled around awkwardly.

All because my right ear doesn't seem to understand English.

jaspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2010, 9:21 pm

pandorazmtbox wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
pandorazmtbox wrote:

Yes!

Me too! Same ear! I end up all confused and can't follow--and forget it if I'm trying to do something else while on the phone with the right ear. It's almost like it's deaf...but I can hear perfectly fine. Wow...for the longest time I thought everyone had this. Then I found out they didn't, and I felt so...defective. I love this place right now, and each and every one of you. :)

That is what I wanted to quote.I won't name people but there are people on the other end of the line that speak overly load that I have to repel the phone from the ear.Most phone calls are very arbitary and mysterious.

hutchscott
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2010, 11:02 pm

I'm curious now. I want to put the phone to both ears and see if one works better.

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2010, 11:24 pm

I also use my left ear only. I never answer my phone unless I absolutely do not mind talking to said individual. I dread hearing that damn thing make a noise. I have the smallest plan available on my phone at 300 minutes (free weekends only), 300 texts. I removed my home phone service years ago.

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2010, 2:29 am

Agh! Another thing that I thought was "just me" that aspie people do, too. People always criticize me for being phobic/hating/avoiding the phone. My family insist "it's stupid Lou, just get over it. It's a part of life."
Yuck. I hate the phone. My answering machine is always on and I never pick it up unless it's someone I want to talk to. I "forget" to take my mobile phone with me, too. :wink: