Apparently we Aspies are Neanderthals... (read inside)

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

JanusHOW
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2007, 12:28 pm

I was astonished by this...

An online friend, who is also an aspie showed me this article, and I was almost blown off my feet. Here's a summary of the points relevant to this board, and some thing she inferred:

-The Neanderthals are not dead, but they are the people known as Basques, or at least the majority of their genetic code is that of the Neanderthal. They live and around northwestern Europe. And according to recent studies, and contrary to popular belief, the Neanderthals were actually MORE ADVANCED than Homo sapiens (modern man). In my friend's own words: "While sapiens were beating at a drum calling it music, the Neanderthals had flutes."

-The Basque language is not connected to any other known language family today. It has only nouns, verbs and suffixes. Many people on the autism spectrum have trouble with words other than nouns, verbs or suffixes.

-They were also always considered "different" from other people, and were often subject to persecution, and they were even thought to be aliens (kinda goes with the name of this site, eh?).

-It is thought that many of the world's great geniuses could be placed on the autistic spectrum. If we infer that the Basques were significantly autistic, then they must have some Basque, and thus, Neanderthal, DNA.

-This means that Homo sapiens and Neanderthals could make fertile babies together, which ironically goes against many modern theories of geneology.

So, in short...the presence of the autistic specturm could very well be the result of us Aspies being descended from Neanderthals.

I suggest reading the article before replying, so you can make a good answer.

Synchronicity
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2007, 12:42 pm

Yeah you just have to search for Aspergers + Neanderthals on Google and this page comes up http://www.rdos.net/eng/asperger.htm

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 1:09 pm

I have read about Neanderthal theory, but this is a bit different. It is conceivable that I have a small about of Basque blood from my mother’s side. However I'm sceptical. One thing is the Neanderthal theory another thing is the fact that the Basques are fairly district. Connecting them together is flawed or convenient at best, just because the happen to be between France and Spain. Basques are perfectly capable of moving location.

Basques are not the only peoples that have fairly district features, language, or genetics. Probably a better example of that are Khoisan people. Their language is far more distinct (series of clicks and guttural sounds), they are hunter gatherers with an oral tradition, and there is a good weight of genetic evidence that they could be the oldest human group. Even that might be wrong because of genetic bottlenecking.

Another thing is Basques are often physically athletic, that is part of their culture. The evidence of Neanderthals skeletons shows that they would they would not be able to react quickly to catch prey, they could not run very fast, and were not agile. They were very cumbersome they need things to hide behind in order hunt prey. Modern humans would have out hunted them, and the archaeological evidence shows that modern humans are more adaptable. I wouldn't rule out some interbreeding but that doesn't mean that these too would have survived, and that is the reason for autism.

Last edited by 0_equals_true on 27 Nov 2007, 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 1:12 pm

Quote:
And according to recent studies, and contrary to popular belief, the Neanderthals were actually MORE ADVANCED than Homo sapiens (modern man). In my friend's own words: "While sapiens were beating at a drum calling it music, the Neanderthals had flutes."

Where is the evidence for this?

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 1:20 pm

This sounds like something I read in my mother's anthropology textbook, which was published in the 1950s. It said that Europeans (especially Western Europeans) are genetically superior to people from other parts of the world because they are descended from Neanderthals. It said that the cave paintings in France are evidence that art and civilization began in Europe, and the rest of the world caught up later. These ideas are still popular among white supremicists.

I don't know enough about anthropology to have my own opinion about where the truth lies, but I do know that modern textbooks tell a completely story.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Nov 2007, 1:46 pm

well i believe it. because i look like a neanderthal :nerdy:

JanusHOW
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2007, 2:01 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Quote:
And according to recent studies, and contrary to popular belief, the Neanderthals were actually MORE ADVANCED than Homo sapiens (modern man). In my friend's own words: "While sapiens were beating at a drum calling it music, the Neanderthals had flutes."

I suggest looking at the links at the bottom of the article I mentioned. I bet you'll find more information there. I'm simply repeating what my friend said.

JanusHOW
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2007, 2:12 pm

Sorry about the double post, but...

EvilKimEvil wrote:
This sounds like something I read in my mother's anthropology textbook, which was published in the 1950s. It said that Europeans (especially Western Europeans) are genetically superior to people from other parts of the world because they are descended from Neanderthals. It said that the cave paintings in France are evidence that art and civilization began in Europe, and the rest of the world caught up later. These ideas are still popular among white supremicists.

I don't know enough about anthropology to have my own opinion about where the truth lies, but I do know that modern textbooks tell a completely story.

Perhaps it does seem a tad white supremacist, in retrospect. But that's not what I'm getting at.

I'm simply trying to say that Asperger's syndrome could be a result of Neanderthal genes. Keep in mind that the Basques, who seem to have a great degree of Neanderthal genes, were considered "different" and were often persecuted because of that difference.

Keep in mind that most aspies have difficulty socializing. If Neanderthals were autistic/aspie, they wouldn't really have the capacity to start a civilization, since they did not possess the capacity to truly socialize. The Homo sapiens in Mesopotamia (now Iran and Iraq), as well as the ones in China, beat the European Neanderthals to the punch, and at some point, Sapiens and Neanderthals mingled and had babies.

I can bet the white supremacists misinterpreted that evidence of art. For all we know, the art could have simply been bored scribbles. Pretty much all I've said here is simply speculation and hypotheses.

If it is in fact all just KKK mumbo jumbo, then the egg is on my face.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 2:16 pm

JanusHOW wrote:
I suggest looking at the links at the bottom of the article I mentioned. I bet you'll find more information there. I'm simply repeating what my friend said.

I just did. A lot of them were dead links, the others where conspiracy/theory, or refer to more of his own theories. There is no actual evidence about Neanderthals or Basques. Can you ask your friend where she got this evidence?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 2:26 pm

JanusHOW wrote:
Perhaps it does seem a tad white supremacist, in retrospect. But that's not what I'm getting at.

I'm simply trying to say that Asperger's syndrome could be a result of Neanderthal genes. Keep in mind that the Basques, who seem to have a great degree of Neanderthal genes, were considered "different" and were often persecuted because of that difference.

When you get information like this I would question where they source this information rather than just taking at face value. I have heard about Spanish nationalists saying that the Basques are dumb and they are from Africa, etc. I know about Franco sanctioned the Nazi bombings of the Basque homeland. I know about ETA and Basque nationalism. However, they are not the only group that were/are considered different or outsiders, by others.

Last edited by 0_equals_true on 27 Nov 2007, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JanusHOW
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2007, 2:26 pm

Perhaps this one might be better.

Edit: I'm not fully taking this at face value, and I am not pushing white supremacy here, though perhaps the way I typed it out made it came out that way. This article probably puts it better.

Last edited by JanusHOW on 27 Nov 2007, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 2:29 pm

So, are Basque people primarily autistic?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

JanusHOW wrote:

Not really. The fact is we don't know that Neanderthals were more intelligent, but the evidence I've heard doesn't point towards this.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

pandabear wrote:

No

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 2:35 pm

This is like the opposite "neanderthal' version that was in another thread. Where some 'article link' suggested Nts were primative, not aspies. :roll: Oh here we go again.

I think socialy skilled people rely more on emotion than logic. Aspies rely primarily on logic. Our current enviroments require the ability to work long, grooling hours at a task, with some social stuff added in.

Name calling on the other hand... "You're primative!" to mean 'lesser intellegance" is deeply insulting. Not a good thing, in my oppinion. Can we PLEASE do with out that?

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2007, 2:44 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
It said that the cave paintings in France are evidence that art and civilization began in Europe, and the rest of the world caught up later. These ideas are still popular among white supremicists.

1. Only SOME Europeans, not all. Those that are, or are related to people with Rh negative type blood, which is only about 15% of the United States, or about 25-33% of the Basque.
2. Evidence of high Neanderthal concentration was also found in Morocco, and they're not white there.

0_equals_true wrote:
I just did. A lot of them were dead links, the others where conspiracy/theory, or refer to more of his own theories. There is no actual evidence about Neanderthals or Basques. Can you ask your friend where she got this evidence?

-is the friend-
Have you tried this link http://www.rdos.net/eng/asperger.htm#Autoimmune ?
I don't remember where I read that the Neanderthals were smarter, but I'll try looking for it.

pandabear wrote:

That's when I get skeptic, I don't see them being connected in any of the articles.

0_equals_true wrote:

About two years ago scientists found Neanderthal DNA in Basque people's mitochondria.

0_equals_true wrote:
Basques are not the only peoples that have fairly district features, language, or genetics. Probably a better example of that are Khoisan people.

What sets the Basque apart is that they aren't "fairly different," but how it has absolutely nothing in common with any other language, and anthropologists are totally puzzled by their origin.

0_equals_true wrote:
Another thing is Basques are often physically athletic, that is part of their culture.

I'm 3/5s Basque, not athletic. And the Basque are fishermen, which isn't really athletic.