Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

treeer01
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2011, 9:05 am

Hello, I'm new to this forum! :)

Are Aspies generally more immature and perceived to be younger than their peers?

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 9:06 am

Based on what context?

If I asked you if first time posters are generally perceived to be more ignorant of tact when it comes to online forums what would your likely answer be?

There is no possible way you can say that people with Aspergers are generally more immature than NTs, just as I cannot say that NTs are generally more stupid than us (even though it is generally true lol)

Welcome to the forums anyway :)

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2011, 9:10 am

'Socially' and emotionally, maybe. Being wicked smart and awesome, nah. We're like a thousand years old you know

treeer01
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2011, 9:14 am

Well, to give an example:

Would an Aspie still act/talk about/do things that are rather associated with things that younger NTs do/talk about?

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 9:19 am

Not particularly, I am interested in a wide range of subjects, from Astronomy to Models to Anthropology to Body Language to Cryptozoology to Films to Books to Engineering to Biology...to Business to Physics to Forensics to History to Archaeology...and so on and so forth.

Most NTs my age still haven't progressed much further than the tellytubbies.

I may have difficulty relating to people on a social level setting, but in comparison...there really is no comparison; I can fake fitting in, they cannot fake the intelligence thing.

Last edited by Sparhawke on 24 Aug 2011, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 9:20 am

treeer01 wrote:
Well, to give an example:

Would an Aspie still act/talk about/do things that are rather associated with things that younger NTs do/talk about?

Maybe. If these things are related to a special interest then it could easily happen. If you are really into Legos this is a lot more "juvenile" when you are 25 than 10.

But you have to be careful asking such narrow questions. There are very few things that are universal across all autistics and context is very important.

treeer01
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2011, 9:26 am

Sparhawke wrote:
Not particularly, I am interested in a wide range of subjects, from Astronomy to Models to Anthropology to Body Language to Cryptozoology to Films to Books to Engineering to Biology...to Business to Physics to Forensics to History to Archaeology...and so on and so forth.

I don't mean immature in that sense. I mean immature as in, for instance:

You go with a group of friends (Group A) and meet another group (Group B). Would the people in Group B see the Aspie as the most immature/youngest one, in general?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 9:32 am

I know a 22-year-old NT who giggles at me when she's with a friend each time she passes. When she giggles she sounds like a little schoolgirl. She was always a bully at school, and hasn't seemed to grown out of it, whereas other bullies I've known have grown out of it by now and have stopped teasing me and giggling at me.

And my cousin's 35-year-old boyfriend runs upto his room and sulks all afternoon when he has a little tiff with my cousin. She calls him a big kid.

Who's to say NTs can't be socially and emotionally immature aswell?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 9:42 am

treeer01 wrote:
Sparhawke wrote:

I don't mean immature in that sense. I mean immature as in, for instance:

You go with a group of friends (Group A) and meet another group (Group B). Would the people in Group B see the Aspie as the most immature/youngest one, in general?

Answering this would require an intact Theory of Mind. Asking an autistic person to gauge the feelings of individuals and groups is not going to illicit an accurate assessment. By definition we often do not understand how others see us.

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 10:12 am

Sparhawke wrote:

Most NTs my age still haven't progressed much further than the tellytubbies.

I may have difficulty relating to people on a social level setting, but in comparison...there really is no comparison; I can fake fitting in, they cannot fake the intelligence thing.

hahahahaha

I suspect it's more a matter of *them* faking your fitting in to you, and you not being able to tell the difference on the spot.

Especially if you have so little understanding of what most NTs think about that you think it boils down to tellytubbies-level preschool stuff.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 10:21 am

Wayne, I am going to assume you live in a large city or somewhere, because I do not have anything else to go on.

All behaviour is geo-specific, you cannot expect to find an Olympic calibre swimmer in the middle of a desert just as you cannot find a spark of intelligence in a village full of people who profess fire as the work of the devil.

I live in just such a place, so my perspective is based on that, maybe you have a different perspective...such as Sesame Street?

By and large where I come from if discussing the weather the most anyone can manage from where I live in the Pennines is that "I got wet" is sufficient; whereas I can easily try to explain updrafts and pressures and the reason why storms move the way they do in spirals (forget the word right now). I am not disparaging your intelligence, I am sure it is quite formidable but I want a real conversation with real meaning beyond monosyllables.

Same as if I talk cars, which I rarely do...I want to know how every piece works and why they react in the way they do in relation to other such pieces on other cars (I am much more interested in atmospherics such as you would find in a wind tunnel rather than mechanics of a V8, 512 bhp engine)...I am not simply happy with "ooh, red."

*Coriolis! I knew I would get it eventually.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 10:43 am

If I'm supposed to be immature then how come I get along much better with older people, and tend to look down upon giggling teenage girls?

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 10:53 am

I think I've heard somewhere that a lot do act younger than their age; at least in some things. Others on the other hand act a lot older that their age. My diagnosis is autistic disorder & in some ways I'm very mature & in other ways, I'm still a child.

treeer01
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2011, 12:00 pm

Would an Aspie for instance rather play Monopoly than go to a party?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 12:08 pm

treeer01 wrote:

How does this relate to immaturity?

treeer01
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2011, 12:10 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
treeer01 wrote:

How does this relate to immaturity?

Good question, but for some reason people who would choose the former are perceived to be more immature, I guess?