Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 10:44 am

Ok, so I finally told my mom about AS.
I tried to just be upfront about it yesterday, but just couldn't. So what I did was I had a printed out summary of what AS is and how it appears in adults and just left it in the kitchen overnight for my mom to find. (Just tricking myself into letting it happen... :roll: )

Anyway she did go through it some this morning and talked a bit about it when I got up in the morning. It went well. She seems to think it might be the case with me.
She told me how, yes I was an odd child with difficulties. There really just weren't any services to help me as a kid, so that's why I went to a private school for a while. Then I went into public HS and things went from there.
My younger bro had the same difficulties, but he was diagnosed with PDD and did get some help to get through school and all. (I wasn't actually aware he was diagnosed with PDD, I thought it was ADHD).
She tells that there other family members who are much the same way so it is a family thing.
She suggests I be part of a church in order to have a social life... Which though sounds reasonable... I have actually tried to do such before(even though I don't believe in Christianity) just for the social aspect, but it didn't work. People still treated the same there as everywhere else and I got tired of faking interest in the bible. Plus I don't find religious girls that attractive to me, so no looking for partners there. Of course I didn't say all that in response... So no go there.

So I guess we'll be talking about it some more later.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 11:15 am

Zara wrote:
Plus I don't find religious girls that attractive to me, so no looking for partners there. Of course I didn't say all that in response... So no go there.

Gee, you must have gone to the wrong church! I found some females I REALLY liked in Church. I found some that seemed pretty smart, some that seemed to like me, and some that were pretty. If only I found one with all three that wasn't so devout. :cry: Of course, the idea of faking a belief, etc... just doesn't work.

autism
Toucan
Toucan

13 May 2008, 11:23 am

Hello and Welcome to WrongPlanet.

Enjoy you stay here.

The only thing I got was the error message because I have to reboot my best friend sometimes.

I have two cousins and a younger sibling who have Asperger Syndrome.

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

13 May 2008, 11:23 am

Your mom was thoughtful in the suggestion...but if you aren't a believer, it will backfire for you.

The point is to be involved in a group that shares your interests. If jesus isn't high on your list, then you aren't going to get along with them.

I had success with a hiking group for a while. They seemed to tolerate my oddity. I took an english class, which was also good. But the fact is, I'm happiest with myself and my family (my partner and kids). I don't find that I need alot of socializing. I do that enough in its own way at work.

Good for you about telling your mom. I tried bringing it up with mine and got fairly well shot down.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 11:31 am

DevonB wrote:

The point is to be involved in a group that shares your interests. If jesus isn't high on your list, then you aren't going to get along with them.

why? aren't Christians always looking for the lost lamb?

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 12:34 pm

Wow, you sound like my long lost brother (that I don't have.) That is exactly how I tend to handle things.

And my parents think church is the answer to everything, as well.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 1:43 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Zara wrote:
Plus I don't find religious girls that attractive to me, so no looking for partners there. Of course I didn't say all that in response... So no go there.

Gee, you must have gone to the wrong church! I found some females I REALLY liked in Church. I found some that seemed pretty smart, some that seemed to like me, and some that were pretty. If only I found one with all three that wasn't so devout. :cry: Of course, the idea of faking a belief, etc... just doesn't work.

Well of course there were physically attractive girls... but in my area religious girls are usually very conservative, putting God ahead of everything even common sense. Which kind of clashes with my more liberal common sense.
I'm pretty comfortable where I am spiritually, so I feel no need to bother with a church.

Anyway, we did talk a bit more at lunch. This time a bit about support groups and such. I might be interested in seeing what a group could help me with... however I know a lot of them for parents of kids with autism... but my mom knows a couple people who might have some more info about such.
Although I really guess the next big step is whether to pursue an official diagnosis. I would like to have something official, so if a time comes when I need assistance, I can get it.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 1:57 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
DevonB wrote:

why? aren't Christians always looking for the lost lamb?

Yes - so they can program it to BaaAAaa the exact same way they do and save it from the eternal torment their loving benevolent god has prepared for all those who don't adore him.

"BELIEVE or DIE! Thank you forgiving lord, for all those options."
- Bill Hicks