Ever been scared of the most silly things during childhood?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 3:07 pm

Like colors or shapes?

From the ages of 3-7, I was terribly frightened of paisley shapes and patterns. :oops:
Here are some examples:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Something about it was just sooo creepy and terrifying. I remember, we used to have these purple paisley-shaped non-slip grips on the bottom of the bathtub. I would always throw a screaming crying fit whenever it was time to take a bath because I hated those weird horrible shapes at the bottom of the tub. I refused to get into the bathtub until mom removed the shapes. The way the water made their images look all ripply made it even more frightening.

Of course, I'm over the fear now, but I still dislike paisley. :lol:

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 3:20 pm

When I was a little kid, I was horrified of the Bull's Eye Barbecue Sauce logo:

I thought that the bull was going to come alive and attack me, so I would plead with it not to attack me and I'd perform ritualistic dances to quell its perceived fury.

Also, ever since I saw Toy Story, I was really scared that my stuffed animals would come alive at night. There was one particular animal I wasn't fond of, and one night I had a nightmare that it chased me down the stairs and spilled needles out of its mouth when it reached the bottom.

samantca
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2008, 3:27 pm

I was terrified of starting school, cause a famous norwegian writer wrote a song called "backwardsland". Or something like that anyway. It made school sound like this enormous theme park, where kids ran around eating candy, doing nothing and never seeing a dentist.

I didnt find this the least bit amusing, i was dead sure it was gonna be that way. I cried for days and days when i was about to start school cause i didnt want anything like this. It scared me half to death. :?

Edit: I was also terrified of the snowplow (cause someone told me it killed 3k kids every year, and i was scared of this furnace thing we had, i thought it would come alive and eat me)

Last edited by samantca on 03 Jun 2008, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03 Jun 2008, 3:33 pm

When I was young I was uncomfortable having any encounter with someone who had the same name as me.

veruniel
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2008, 3:49 pm

Jutty wrote:
When I was young I was uncomfortable having any encounter with someone who had the same name as me.

Me too... and it wasn't helped by the fact that I have a pretty common name. But I wasn't afraid so much as annoyed that someone else was impinging on my perceived uniqueness. I still have a problem with this, actually.

I remember what scared me most when I was little was the dark gap between my bedframe and the large drawer under it where I stored my stuffed animals. If I had to get out of bed after the lights were out, I always imagined I saw a pair of glowing eyes staring at me from that inch-wide gap under the bed.

webwalker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2008, 3:53 pm

In first grade I made a cutout copy of myself. We laid down on big pieces of kraft paper and a mate would trace out our body. Then we cut out two pieces of the paper and stapled them together, stuffing them with newspaper. Then we painted 'ourselves' on it. Clothes, hair, face,etc.

I thought this was the coolest thing in the world until I got it home. I set it up in my room and didn't give it another thought, until I went to bed. Here was this un-moving human figure silhouetted against the moon coming in my window....just like a horror movie. I swore the thing was going to start moving and get me. Turned on the light. Fear gone. Turned off the light. Scare ****less again. So I called my mother and asked her to get it out of my room.

Unfortunately, I told her why. It went in the trash the next day.

Sigh.

M

krex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 5:06 pm

My mothers eyes and pursed lips....very scary...and the statement from her.."we need to have a family meeting" .

The sound of crickets and birds on a hot summer day in a big field.

Singing/chanting childrens voices.

I think the last two are from watching a lot of scary movies from the 70's.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 5:09 pm

yes, be prepared to laugh your butt off,

my fears i had as a young child, one was automatic doors (those sliding ones on fronts of supermarkets to be exact) and eclipses.i could thank eyewitness news for zooming in about 200x on the "diamond ring effect" for that one and the discription that my cousin gave me of what a solar eclipse was. to this date when feeling sad, i think of those 2 things and before i know it im laughing as well.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 5:18 pm

Really old people that smelled old when they embraced you and rubbed their wrinkled and grizzled faces against yours freaked me out. That and being found out that I was different from everyone else, even though I did not know why at the time.

03 Jun 2008, 5:42 pm

The shape of the lamp on my wall above my bed in the dark.

My clothes staying the drier too long because I thought they shrink down to the size of Barbie clothes.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 5:43 pm

I was afraid of the furnice.

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 5:48 pm

I was afraid of dogs as a kid. Because they were sometimes rambunctious and licked to lick me. I hated that. But I've long since gotten over that.

Oh, one thing that freaked me out was the Album Cover of Wierd Al Yankovic's "Dare to Be Stupid"

When I was 5, I would scurry through my dad's cassette tapes to look at the pictures on them and I would come across this:

Then I would drop the cassette case, scream, and run away.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2008, 5:56 pm

Most of my crazy fears when I was younger (still have a number of them today) were noise phobias. I was (still am) afraid of noises of certain things.

I would have to say I have (and had) many phobias too many to list right now.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 6:32 pm

Public restrooms. Drains, particularly in pools or in the tub.

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2008, 6:38 pm

I'm still not quite gotten over this on a dark night I still check it out.
The bathroom next to me has a small cupboard for drying towels and clothes 'airing cupboard' the boiler creeks and groans i always used to think a witch would come out like it was her teleporter now i sometimes think a burglar will hide in there if i come out of my room at night and he was there stealing

:cry: My witch fear is from watching Roahl Daul's film 'The Witchs' when i was 5 i got a vomit phobia from this DO NOT LET UR KIDS WATCH IT I DONT CARE IF ITS A PG IT SCARS!

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 6:38 pm

I had many phobias - balloons, eggs and horses.

But my first phobia was this: