Did you "army crawl" as a baby, or skip crawling entirely?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Did you "army crawl" or skip crawling as an infant?
I solely "army crawled". 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
I skipped crawling entirely. 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
I crawled normally. 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 9

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:41 pm

Lately I've found some things suggesting that it's common for babies with autism to either "army crawl" (propped up on their elbows/forearms with the rest of their body on the floor) instead of do a "creeping" crawl (propped up on hands and knees), or just skip crawling entirely and go straight to walking.

I was wondering if any of you have been told that you continued to crawl like that, or that you skipped crawling?

My mom has said that I only "army crawled" in a weird way (she didn't explain how it was weird?) when I was a baby and that my brother (who has Asperger's) did a similar thing.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:49 pm

I'd have to ask my mother to be sure, but I think I crawled normally. I do know that she said I hit that milestone somewhat early but I'm curious about this now. Judging from photos of me as a baby, it almost does look like the "army crawl" that you described. However, that could just be how it appears in photos.

My Tumblr

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:50 pm

AriaEclipse wrote:
I'd have to ask my mother to be sure, but I think I crawled normally. I do know that she said I hit that milestone somewhat early but I'm curious about this now. Judging from photos of me as a baby, it almost does look like the "army crawl" that you described. However, that could just be how it appears in photos.

I think a lot of babies start out with an army crawl, but the main distinction is that autistic babies don't progress past that into a "creeping" crawl.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 3:01 pm

After thinking about it, I've also heard that babies with autism may crawl "asymmetrically" (I'm not exactly sure what movements that is supposed to describe though) and that may be why my mom said I crawled "weird". I remember sometimes using one leg and one arm on the other side of myself to actually propel myself forward. I have no idea why I did that but maybe it was easier to coordinate than all four of my limbs. lol

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 6:40 pm

Babies of all types crawl funnily sometimes.

I don't sense that how a baby crawls indicates that one has autism.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 7:09 pm

I don’t know if I was an “army crawler’, but my daughter certainly was(AS). It was ultra cute to watch! She was also what textbooks describe as an “angel baby” ... and she also had reflux(quite commonly found in those later diagnosed). My two sons(also both AS) crawled in a typical manner.

“the absence of crawling, or persistent ‘army crawl’ is a common occurrence in infants who later receive an ASD (autism spectrum disorder) diagnosis.”
Source: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/8-autism-red-flags-missed-221234556.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABu42KXR-e6ceqKTyuHiJ28wqIlxWAk0GBLaGgCx9EefZCyltB1tPR8dGHBsFt9Jf_4cvtP654RRKNeBaaHgcDw4azpavuYwf8_MEj0NZB6cn61Guvx9R6ObT7bPhoNnzZZv9W1K0QC_ApEVRe039MBKXs4Oq4TT0eiWnKj86yFb

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 8:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Babies of all types crawl funnily sometimes.

I don't sense that how a baby crawls indicates that one has autism.

Some of the things I saw pointed the crawling out as a possible sign of motor skill issues. I probably crawled how I did because I have really bad coordination and balance. It doesn't necessarily indicate autism by itself, and NT babies can crawl like that, but there's still the finding that ASD babies may crawl like that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 8:47 pm

I get what you mean. Really I do.

But you might have somebody who observes a child doing an "army crawl"----and that somebody might conclude that child has autism because of that. They might start worrying like that.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 8:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I get what you mean. Really I do.

But you might have somebody who observes a child doing an "army crawl"----and that somebody might conclude that child has autism because of that. They might start worrying like that.

True, but I don't think this association should be withheld because of that. People worry that their kids are delayed/autistic for many reasons. Some see their kids line up some toys and then conclude he/she needs an evaluation, I don't think you can prevent parents from over-worrying.

Anways, I didn't make this thread to call attention to that trait, I'm just curious how many of us crawled like that because it interests me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 9:03 pm

I get you.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 9:20 pm

My mum said that I dragged my legs at first and than I was able to crawl.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 11:10 pm

I started crawling (on hands and knees) at around 8 months, then started walking at around 10-11 months. Yes, I was quite early with learning to walk, my mum says I was so keen to get around on my feet.
My friend's baby is 2 and still struggles to walk (but doesn't have cerebral palsy or anything). I hope he doesn't have autism, as autism is quite common in their family apparently.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 11:14 pm

I don't remember how I crawled as a baby, I was very young back then. :lol:

But I'm pretty sure I crawled normally and I don't know how an infant crawls has to do with autism, anyway. Just another thing to make clueless parents freak out and think their whole lives are ruined.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 8:56 am

I never crawled because I was always kept in a chair with a tray until I was about 9 months old. I was taken out when they wanted to play with me, bathe me, put me to bed, etc... and they held my hands and "walked me" around, but I was never allowed on the floor, first time parents, had been warned about germs and were over afraid to allow me to touch the floor. At 9 months I rebelled being put into that damn tray table seat... eventually it became too hard for her to force me into it. No idea what would have happened if I'd been allowed to develop "normally" LOL

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 11:02 am

I crawled very well according to my mother (who worked with special needs kids for about 30 years). She said that any type of crawling is good for babies, but if they cannot crawl at all, but 'bottom shuffle' instead, that is a sign of possible development issues.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 1:59 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
AriaEclipse wrote:

I think a lot of babies start out with an army crawl, but the main distinction is that autistic babies don't progress past that into a "creeping" crawl.

That makes sense.

My Tumblr