Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Magicfly
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2008, 9:55 am

Hey guys!

When I go to the check out of my local store, I always line up my shopping on the conveyor belt.

It has to be perfectly aligned parallel to the sides of the belt. Everything in grouped in order, if I buy several of the same item it will be lined up side-by-side. If I don't do it that way, or if something isn't sitting with it's edge lined up, I'll have to sort it before it gets bleeped through the till or else I find I get a bit irritated and edgy.

If the person serving on the till then bleeps through my items NOT in the order I lined them up, this also really irritates me because I always arrange things so they would make the most logical order to be packed (that is, heavy bulky things first so they go in the bottom of the bag, then things like popcorn/eggs and fragile items go in the bag last)

Am I alone in this or do any of you guys also find yourself doing this?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 9:59 am

Magicfly wrote:
Hey guys!

When I go to the check out of my local store, I always line up my shopping on the conveyor belt.

It has to be perfectly aligned parallel to the sides of the belt. Everything in grouped in order, if I buy several of the same item it will be lined up side-by-side. If I don't do it that way, or if something isn't sitting with it's edge lined up, I'll have to sort it before it gets bleeped through the till or else I find I get a bit irritated and edgy.

If the person serving on the till then bleeps through my items NOT in the order I lined them up, this also really irritates me because I always arrange things so they would make the most logical order to be packed (that is, heavy bulky things first so they go in the bottom of the bag, then things like popcorn/eggs and fragile items go in the bag last)

Am I alone in this or do any of you guys also find yourself doing this?

This is a fabulous topic! I don't line up but there is something I do.
I put the heaviest items on the conveyor belt first. Then the lighter items. Lastly, I put items like eggs, bread, anything that is soft and fluffy always goes last.

I do this because I have gotten home with smashed loaves of bread in the past and had to learn the hard way :(

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 10:08 am

I categorize my shopping items too. Anything that needs refrigeration gets lumped together. Anything crushable is last in line. I also have a pet peeve that anything toxic must be by itself. In other words, cleaning products need to be kept separate from food items. There are no exceptions & even my kids know this rule! Also fresh produce & meat need to be kept separate, especially salad & raw meat products. On the conveyor belt, I arrange all items accordingly. I really dislike it when the cashier or bagger disregards my categories. If they have put stuff together that I feel should not be, I will not leave until I have corrected the problem. It's just logic to keep certain items packaged together & other items separate.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 10:32 am

I'm anal-retentive in that I try to "suggest" things that I want to have bagged together by placing them in groups/arrangements. I consider this to be a subtle mind control technique :P

PilotPirx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2008, 10:39 am

No, I don't. But it wouldn't make sense, since where I live you have to package your stuff in supermarkets by yourself. So you put it on the belt, get it registered, put it back in the shoppingcart (or directly in your bag if you prefer) and that's it. The order isn't important in that case and you can pack it as you like...

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 12:07 pm

yes i do that too also i been couraged to it since it makes easier to em put em to fridge :lol:

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 12:30 pm

I forget to place items on the line usually. It's too much to think of that too.

Anyway, cashiers would always scan items the order they're placed on the line where I live, so that wouldn't be an issue here. We also have to pack our stuff ourselves.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 12:59 pm

Yes, I do. I have to take a deep breath, and turn away when my husband "helps" me put the stuff on the belt. I've come to accept that it's not so obvious to others what my patterns for grouping, and organizing things. I used to think that people were intentionally being ignorant when they messed up my order, as to me it was so painfully obvious what the pattern was. Now I realize that I'm the odd one. :D

I also put all of my groceries in perfect lines in groups in my cabinet, and fridge, too. I could find what I'm looking for any given day with my eyes closed.