How many people in this forum have heard of ASMR?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ShirtPuppet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Feb 2013, 11:18 pm

ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. It's this tingling sensation you get if you listen to somebody whisper and do random things such as crumpling paper, running their fingers down certain surfaces, chewing gum or eating something crunchy, playing cards, solving a math problem, counting, or any combination of these while whispering and cognitively involved in something random. It causes relaxation better than any medication I've ever taken, and there are ASMR videos all over YouTube! Someone please watch them and tell me what you think.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 11:52 pm

My mom and brother both experience ASMR. I'm jealous of them because it sounds so awesome and I wish I could experience it for myself. Maybe I wouldn't have ever needed to be on anti-anxiety medication if I had ASMR... :(

Anyway, there's a funny story about when we went to visit family in California many years ago and my brother got ASMR from watching one of our cousins play with Legos. We went to go do some activity as a family, and my brother made him promise to play with the Legos when we got back to their house. However, when we got back our cousin didn't want to play with Legos anymore and my brother got upset and told on him for breaking his promise. :lol: I've always found that story funny for some reason.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 12:10 am

<--- Never heard of ASMR. Did, however, hear of DMSR. Presenting...The Groove Council with their rendition of D.M.S.R. by Prince.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWLxcnzHBgg[/youtube]

paris75007
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2013, 12:25 am

Wow...all of those sensory triggers the op mentioned are unbearable to me. Funny how we either love it or hate it, huh?

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 12:29 am

RedRobin, you are a scream. Dance Music Sex Romance indeed.

As for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, Scrabble tiles and typing on chiclet type keys does it for me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 12:52 am

:huh:

undercaffeinated
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Feb 2013, 1:01 am

paris75007 wrote:
Wow...all of those sensory triggers the op mentioned are unbearable to me. Funny how we either love it or hate it, huh?

Same here, for most of them. Even just an unintelligible whisper by itself is difficult to bear.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 3:15 am

paris75007 wrote:

I'm actually just indifferent to them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 4:31 am

auntblabby wrote:
:huh:

ditto

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 8:48 am

Huh, I posted a similar thread a while ago. I have always experienced ASMR. A lot of things do it for me: whispering (especially female voices), chewing, tapping on hard substances... can't list everything here. I use it to relax, it makes me calm and tired.

KevinS
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Feb 2013, 9:04 am

Yes, I get them all the time. Not from whispers though. It's usually a certain type of voice that causes them. Most of the times it's a certain sound that causes them, but not always. Unfortunately when I get one when someone is talking, it's very hard to be actually listening to what they are saying.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 9:34 am

ASMR seems very interesting. I wonder if it is our brains interacting with electricity from the computers sometimes.
I don't think i've had the ASMR conditions. I know that i have had a nice brain fluttery tingle type of thing going on several years ago. It has happened a handful of times yet it hasn't happened in years.

ASMR:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous ... n_response

One thing i cannot stand is styrofoam things. Those and god forbid i have to hear the styrofoam makes it's so awful i get cold chills bad from that worse if i have to touch it. Certain types of paper i am the same way and i will get bad cold chills just thinking of it.

Certain sounds like horses walking and the click click of the horseshoes on their hooves i have always liked. I don't get a brain tingle from that though. I think certain medications can induce a brain tingle...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 9:42 am

i wish that would happen to me. sorta. i'm not sure because i haven't experienced it before. at least as described.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 10:05 am

I think I might have this. When I hear water trickling, or pouring into a cup, I immediately grin and get a slight irritation, but I don't dislike the sound though. I just sometimes find it cringing, but not in a bad way. I can't really explain.

Also I hate people whispering. I don't mind a little bit, but my friend does it nearly all the time when we're in her house because she's become so paranoid of believing that all her neighbours are listening to everything she says, that she often puts her mouth next to my ear and whispers stuff. It annoys me. I find I can't really show much emotion when people are whispering, because I then got to whisper back and I'm not that good at having a conversation with someone in whisper.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 8:58 am

I am sure I have had the ticklish brain sensation a few times but not recently. I tried a few of the videos a while back and, while I found some of them relaxing, I don't think I got the full ASMR thing going on. I did get a very strange sensation from the videos where girls are leaning very close to the camera and whispering to you with intense eye contact. It didnt feel like a sexual thing - more linked in with the normally uncomfortable and overly intamate feeling most of us seem to have around eye contact. I can make ok-ish eyecontact with people most of the time as long as there is a reasonable context in place but less so with strangers. These videos with close eye contact made me almost feel like I was breaking some taboo by watching. Very strange.

Alexithymia: 137

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Feb 2013, 10:29 am

Is ASMR what makes me briefly break out in shivers sometimes while listening to music or TV shows through headphones? It sends a very vivid tingling sensation down through the back of my head and spine, causing me to have to "shake it off" suddenly and involuntarily. It sort of feels ticklish. Or is this something else?