Does anyone here have excessive hand washing from OCD?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 6:41 pm

I have been washing my hands between 30-40 times a day since 1994 because of my OCD.

Does anyone else have this same OCD sypmtom?

Are you on federal disability?

OCD can manifest itself in a lot of ways. I was trying to determine how severe this symptom is. What do you think?

04 Mar 2009, 7:20 pm

I did in 4th grade.

I am not on federal disability.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 8:05 pm

I have a phobia of germs, so I was my hands way too much.

Night_Owl_Amber
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Mar 2009, 8:31 pm

I do
Everytime I use the bathroom I have to wash my hands with 4 different soaps 55 times with each (as in back and forwards 50 times)
It's the same when I use a public toilet, except I use the soap they have

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Mar 2009, 8:40 pm

I definitely have OCD with my diagnosed Asperger's. But I can't say I am obsessed with hand washing---but I do make a point to try to wash my hands after handling money, after using the bathroom, and before eating. I probably do wash my hands more than the average person. But let's look at this fact---health channels and stuff are always telling the public to wash your hands with anti-bacterial soap for 20? seconds so as to avoid germs after coming into contact with potential "dirty" things. If a person follows what the health experts say---most perceive this as OCD hand washing.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 8:54 pm

I wash my hands a LOT! I would estimate about 12 times a day. MORE if a shake hands, am touched, get dirt on my hands, etc... I'm going to have to start counting! BTW I clean my hands THOROUGHLY! Up to the wrists and, sometimes, the elbows. or even shoulders.

J-Man
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2009, 9:00 pm

I wash my hands now more than I used to but it's not from being afraid of germs, but from others around me having that fear. Besides, I mostly use hand sanitizer as opposed to soap & water.

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2009, 7:47 am

Sometimes i wash my hands a few times and find ways to turn of the taps and open the toillet door without using my hands. I hate using a towel someones already used and wash my hands after touching the kitchen bowl.
I wash my hands alot when im making drinks or food for visitors, for some reason i worry im putting germs onto what i give them and even wash my hands extra well after everything from opening a draw to opening the coffee jar.

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2009, 7:49 am

Im not sure if i have ocd or just get over anxious sometimes.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 7:54 am

During my bad days, I'd wash them several hundred times a day, and not touch anything at all; I was housebound for several years due to such.

I treated it in...a year or so.

You wouldn't even know I had OCD now, other than stepping over cracks on the side-walk (thinking that something bad will happen if I don't...).

I'm on Federal Disability for "ASD and OCD" (that's what's written).

OCD can really manifest in severity; some people have malignant OCD, whereas others appear quirky like the highest-functioning forms of autism.

ladyasd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Mar 2009, 8:10 am

My husband thinks that I wash my hands excessivvely, but I just think I'm being hygeinic.

Last edited by ladyasd on 08 Mar 2009, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spinetrak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2009, 8:37 am

Don't know if it's OCD or not, but yes, I wash my hands about 40-50 times a day. My skin is so dry because of it that sometimes it just starts to bleed.

When I prepare a meal for myself, I wash my hands before I start and until I finish i wash them about 5-6 times. I hate touching them stuff. It's not out of phobia of germs and things like that, it's just that I feel that my hands are dirty. And hell, they are.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 8:41 am

Used to... Now it's the opposite, I totally don't wash my hands!

And if I were an American, I'd most probably be on the federal disability list. But my country has no provisions for disabled people, so yeah, sigh.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 9:45 am

I'm AS not OCD, but I think I might have mild OCD as well.

I only wash my hands if they feel dirty, not often cos I don't really touch anything that might have germs.

I clean my teeth almost obsessively, however. I clean them the moment I get out of bed, again after breakfast, again before leaving the house (this is on a day when I'm going out, BTW), and again when I get home, after meals, once when everyone in the house goes to bed, and before I go to bed. I'd clean my teeth at school after lunch if it wasn't for the fact that people would think I'm a freak.

When I went away with school for a week, people thought it was weird that I cleaned my teeth before breakfast. I wouldn't have been able to cope if I hadn't, though, because they'd feel all disgusting. That's the reason I do it, not cos of germs or anything, just because my mouth tastes all sour if I don't. Just thinking about it now is making me want to go clean my teeth.

I guess it's a good thing, cos I don't still have to be reminded to clean my teeth before bed like my brother does, LOL.

y es como un semestre"

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Mar 2009, 10:55 am

I do wash my hands at least twenty times a day, but not so much at home as when I'm out in public. It's the best way to prevent the spread of germs and picking up all the contagious illnesses that are out there floating around and clinging to surfaces.

In public restrooms, which I hate to use but sometimes must, I roll my pant legs up before I enter so they won't touch the disgusting floor. I flush the toilet with my foot and leave my shoes on the porch when I get home. After I wash my hands I dry them with a paper towel and then turn off the spigot with the towel and use it to open the door, and then holding the door open with my body, I wad up the towel and throw it into the waste can, sometimes missing, but oh well, if I go back in to pick it up from the floor because I really don't want to make more work for the janitor, I would have to wash my hands all over again and this could go on and on. They should put the waste cans closer to the door and the waste cans should be open and not have those hinged lids that you actually have to push inwards in order to deposit your towels. And as soon as I get home I throw my clothes in the washing machine. This procedure could vary according to how disgusting or clean the public rest room is. Using a public restroom is a real pain in the neck for me.

What has being on disability got to do with hand washing? Are you just trying to kill two birds with one stone, or should I say, one bar of antibacterial soap. :lol: No, I'm not on disability.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 12:54 pm

I must wash mine about 40 times a day :?