Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2008, 2:53 am

Are aspies more bothered by insults than NTs?

PilotPirx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2008, 3:34 am

Not me. It's nearly impossible to get any reaction on insults from me.

And that's not self control in any form, I simply don't care what people say if they do it on such a low level. The fact that somebody is so stupid that he thinks I mind anything he says, shows me that he isn't worth thinking about him for a second.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 5:24 am

Give me a few days to go out and insult a few Aspies and a few NTs, and I'll get back to you with my findings. :P

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2008, 5:33 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Give me a few days to go out and insult a few Aspies and a few NTs, and I'll get back to you with my findings. :P

No please don't do that. It's not good to insult someone for no reason whatsoever.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 5:39 am

FireFox wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

No please don't do that. It's not good to insult someone for no reason whatsoever.

I won't. (I was joking, anyway.)

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

PilotPirx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2008, 6:06 am

FireFox wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

That depends. It can be a lot of fun :wink:

Sling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2008, 6:33 am

If people insult me then I usually insult them back, far more wittily and thus humiliate said person unless they are a total idiot and, in which case, everybody in the room laughing at them, tends to do it. If people attack me physically, I give them 3 warnings (which is required by UK law I think) and then I defend my self. I always wear steel-toe-capped boots when I'm out and about just in case I run afoul of some chavs.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 6:35 am

good question, the answer is longish, im sorry.

AS can get hung up on litlle things, small inconsequential things we can get snagged on they really bug us.
Often in the past when people would attempt to insult me, i wouldnt respond at all, as another poster said, nothing to do with self control it was a more aloof distance from the words used, that i was becoming used to in an NT world had little literal meaning, the meaning was inferred, and as i had a literal mindset there was no inference and any attempted insults were dismissed by me.

This relates to ideation and the inability of AS to modulate an appropriate response to a given stimulus.
sometimes a small perceived insult will set off AS people to innapropriate rage/anger.

It is also related to AS objectifying most people and not considering their feelings or words, giving the appearanc eof not caring, because, in my case, i really didt, still dont.

It is related to an increasing self awareness amongst As that non-As have little regard and respect for their choice of words, that we become habituated to them and they have less meaning and impact when used in a deliberately and insulting manner.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 7:00 am

When someone insults me I sometimes insult back depending on the situation.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 7:25 am

When the odd insult came my way in education it would well up inside me and I'd feel enraged, sad, depressed, anxious...

It would get to me, and linger over me for a few days at least... I would end up feeling everyone's unjust, and have trust issues with those around me.
Thankfully, I'm no longer in education so this doesn't really happen anymore.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 7:30 am

Depends on the insult.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2008, 7:50 am

FireFox wrote:
Are aspies more bothered by insults than NTs?
I just whip out my big bag of oranges, they don't leave bruises.. :lol: Can you get a visual on that? :D

Mindovermatter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2008, 7:57 am

Yes, I can't count the times I'vebeen told to mellow out. Almost got me killed a few times when I unknowingly got pissed at some members of one of the largest southern california latino gangs. :oops: talk about walking through the valley of the shadow of death(WITH YOUR EYES BLINDFOLDED! LOL!). Sometimes even if your in the right and your stance is just, you need to shut the hell up. many times people would cut contact with me because I took something the wrong way.

As far as insults go, my opinon is the same if the insult came out of some substance and its not just some ignorant remark I take it to the heart. This is one of the many aspie traits I'm trying to work on.

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2008, 9:31 am

Oh geez yes. If I am insulted it is like I was physically punched and I obsess on it till I find peace about it. A pain in the butt for me, but I'm working on it :roll:

Psimulus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2008, 9:40 am

When any human being insults another, I find that most often it has to do in relation to the insulters own insecurities. Beside this, insults can also be used as a tool in a psychologists tool box to elicit a response and then gauge it. Not that I agree with the methods though. I recently had a "Buddhist" type moment when someone was verbally insulting me and rather than respond in kind I did the reverse. I responded with compassion and was able to identify as well as disarm their hostility.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 10:12 am

I hate being insulted. I guess I tend to relive it & mull over it multiple times to see what I could have done differently to avoid the whole situation.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive