Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 11:27 am

Do you wish you could be children or underage teens again?

While asking about this, I wanted to touch this issue in the context of AS and the way it's perceived by others when you are children or very young people. Your parents are consoled by neighbors and friends favourably disposed towards them that your social difficulties and the impression of general weirdness surrounding you are things you are going to grow out of one day and you believe in this too, not having any reasons not to believe - after all growing out of some behaviours, problems, inclinations etc. and growing up to others in the same time is a natural process and you're still not "finished", you're still changing and getting more and more mature so you don't have any reasons to suspect it could be any different in your case.

Childhood is the best in this respect - your behaviours are easily forgiven because "you're a kid so you don't understand, you'll grow out of this" but also your life as a teen with an autism spectrum disorder (and a teen as such) also has more positive sides in many respects than when you're adult - first of all, being suspended between adulthood and childhood years, you don't belong to any of those two worlds which in practice means that on one hand you're protected from hardships of real life but on the other hand, not being a child any more you are given some additional privileges children don't have and an amount of them partially depends also on you, on the level of your maturity, how you use freedom you got. Also, when you're a teenager people still forgive you many things because you're excused by your young age.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 11:34 am

i wish i can still have a good one but probbely not going to happen :(

Magique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2008, 11:57 am

I am a nonviolent person, but if someone could send me back to childhood they'd be dead meat. It was hell. Children have no power. I was expected to do things that I didn't understand, couldn't verbalize why I didn't want to do it, but had to do it anyway. Nope. I do not want to be a child ever again.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 12:35 pm

I was happiest at the age of three. I wish I could've stayed three years old, never growing older. I have pictures of myself at that age and I think I was so cute and most importantly, SO HAPPY. I looked happier than I can ever remember being. So, if I could go back and be that way always I would!

Bozewani
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2008, 1:04 pm

Yes and no.

when I become a legally-sanctioned adult, similiar to how something becomes legal after passing a certain point (like a brand of wine becomes drinkable after an aging of a certain amount of years). I looked back on those days and started to see how it all quickly passed me by.

I missed how people were more compassionate and understanding most of all, and I do miss the laughter and smiles.

I don't miss the deference of power and lack of control over my actions and how adults could have overriding power over everything I did.

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2008, 2:23 pm

Magique wrote:
I am a nonviolent person, but if someone could send me back to childhood they'd be dead meat. It was hell. Children have no power. I was expected to do things that I didn't understand, couldn't verbalize why I didn't want to do it, but had to do it anyway. Nope. I do not want to be a child ever again.

Same here. If i could go back, theres a few noses and jaws that i would break.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 2:32 pm

I was happy and clueless up until around 3 too.

then I got stuck in my teens and don't seem to progress at all. and to be honest, I like it that way.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 2:51 pm

If I could go back and have a childhood where people protected me from harm instead of making fun of me, where my summers weren't ruined by surgeries that I did not necessarily need and definitely did not want, where I wasn't looked down upon even by my supposed guardians for being the exact person that through their actions and words they had created, then yeah, it might be interesting to find out what else might've been easier for me to do now.

However, I would not go back only to relive the same sort of hell I did for a lot of my childhood.

Now that I can actually stand up and say what I think and people show some respect, that I can have my wishes as to what happens to my own body and mind respected, and I can do things to prove myself valuable in an adult way (such as working, going to higher education and living independently), things are much better, even though in some respects (such as a social one) there were points in my childhood where I was doing better than I am now.

UnusualSuspect
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2008, 3:01 pm

There's not a single thing in my childhood that I'd want to go back to.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 3:11 pm

The only years in my childhood that I would ever want to relive again would be between the ages 7 to 10. I was able to express my needs, the kids were nice to me, and school wasn't overly challenging (because an education plan was designed for me).. but apparently I was a miserable and colicky baby, an unhappy toddler and young child as well, and forget the ages between 11-14 as well, so that would really be the only time in my childhood I would ever want to go back to. But can't look back, I am looking forward to my kids getting older and gaining a LITTLE more freedom back again as a result :)

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 3:20 pm

ONLY if i went back with the knowledge and skills that i have now.. otherwise definately nott. . . those were without a doubt the worst times of my life.. x_x

Koldune
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Location: At the tree from whither come the roots of which no one knows

11 Sep 2008, 3:25 pm

Be a child again? Not on your life. The childhood I remember was one long string of embarrassments.

?E. Weatherwax
Pro te ipso faciete. (Do for yourself.)

HereComeTheLizards
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2008, 3:42 pm

No.

Whenever someone annoys me, whenever I get anxious or upset, whenever the world seems black and unforgiving, I can think "Thank god I will never be a child again."

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 3:57 pm

prillix wrote:
Magique wrote:

SAME HERE! HELL, I got in trouble for everything ANYWAY! I should have REALLY done something!

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 4:06 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
prillix wrote:
Magique wrote:

SAME HERE! HELL, I got in trouble for everything ANYWAY! I should have REALLY done something!

now that you mention it.. :evil:

AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Sep 2008, 4:16 pm

Never! I like being around people my age, and kids annoyed me when I was younger (even though I was their age). Even though I wish it could have been a little better, I am ready to move forward with my life.

you will jouney from boy to man