Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2008, 11:14 am

Do you enjoy driving? (For those that have their driver's license and drive or have their permit and are learning how to drive)

Landaree
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2008, 11:35 am

Nope.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 11:36 am

nope - I avoid it whenever possible - but I live in Texas (where we apparently believe that public transportation is evil) so I have to.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2008, 11:39 am

Sometimes. It can be enjoyable when on a rural road or in the very early morning with no traffic. Mostly no, however, because I tend to be hyperalert, watching for inattentive or moronic other drivers or for animals crossing the road. That level of vigilance quickly becomes exhausting. I tend to let pedestrians actually cross in crosswalks, infuriating other drivers, which just adds to the stress.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 11:43 am

Only when I'm driving long distances, do I enjoy being behind the wheel. Just this morning a peddie surprised me by dashing out into a cross walk. 8O She's fine & I'm fine, but I nearly had a panic attack. I don't like surprises, & city driving is full of them!

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 11:57 am

I've always enjoyed driving. City driving is a challenge as people have already noted. But opening it up on a country road, and enjoying the speed is a great thrill.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 12:41 pm

animallover wrote:
nope - I avoid it whenever possible - but I live in Texas (where we apparently believe that public transportation is evil) so I have to.

That pretty much sums up my opinion. I'm pretty limited in where I will drive, too. I can't drive in certain areas that are too busy. My brain just can't multitask in the way that I need it to for metro driving, plus my sense of direction is very poor.

RubieRoze
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2008, 12:46 pm

I dont' particularly like driving itself, but I do like the freedom (read: control) it gives me to have a form of transportation at my disposal. I like quick getaways. 8)

drybones
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2008, 12:56 pm

RubieRoze wrote:
I dont' particularly like driving itself, but I do like the freedom (read: control) it gives me to have a form of transportation at my disposal. I like quick getaways. 8)

are you a bank robber? j/k

i agree. i dont like it much but its great to know you can leave quickly from a situation if necessary.

generally speaking id say driving is only enjoyable when there are no other vehicles around + no other people with me

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 1:19 pm

You bet I love it.

Mostly

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 2:59 pm

No, I hate it. Perhaps if there weren't any other cars on the road...

flutter
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 3:37 pm

I love long road trips with open road.... the simple act of driving without worrying about traffic or stop and go is very relaxing too me.

I hate traffic. If I had to deal with it on a daily basis I'd go nuts - which is why I've turned down proffered transfers to Chicago or Tampa.

The traffic in Buffalo is manageable for me, but I've driven in Manhattan, DC, Toronto, Tampa, Seattle, Chicago, and Cleveland..... they all pretty much drove me batty.

I also am lucky in that I have a job where I can essentially make my own hours, so I usually do my driving after rush hour has subsided. (although a really bad rush hour commute in Buffalo traffic is only like 40 minutes)

I have always loved the concept of having the car there, and being able to go where I want when I want..... and I also live in the suburbs of a city with poor public transport.... so public transport isn't an option. I love the freedom a car represents so even when I worked from home entirely for 2.5 years, I still liked the concept of having the car in my driveway, even if it didn't move for 3-4 weeks at a time.

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2008, 4:02 pm

AnnaLemma wrote:
I tend to let pedestrians actually cross in crosswalks, infuriating other drivers, which just adds to the stress.

Isn't that the purpose of crosswalks? So that people can cross the street?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 4:06 pm

Yes.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

BattleCreekDavid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Sep 2008, 4:29 pm

Driving itself is great, it's all the other drivers. I feel an absolute need to follow all traffic laws, including posted speed limits. Other drivers apparently don't share this same belief. Too bad if they are right behind me. I can't stand watching others blatantly violate traffic laws. I hate having to scrape off my car in the winter. Winter driving usually doesn't bother me.

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2008, 4:32 pm

I enjoy driving. It's the highway that seems scary to me. I don't drive on the highway.