Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 4:00 am

sweetnonnie wrote:
I have an almost 21-year-old son who is autistic, fairly highly functioning. However, emotionally, he is about 10 and he has grown up watching the Disney channel. During Black History month this year, one night at bedtime, he asked me about Harriet Tubman. I explained about the underground railroad and said, "Isn't it amazing that here we are in 2008 and a black man is running for president?" My son, who only speaks in one volume (loud), looked up at me from bed and said, softly, "We can change the world."

It turns out that he had been slipping over to watch CNN on occasion and had caught at least one of Barack's early ads. Sent chills up my spine.

I registered him to vote.

Posted by sweetnonnie
September 27, 2008

I saw this on a website I visit and just wanted to post it here

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 4:57 am

I don't get it ! !

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2008, 6:50 am

I don't get it either - was it insight or echolalia?

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 6:50 am

I cried buckets. boohoooo. what a bewdiful story.

not.

Run, Forest, run

...my mama always said...

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 8:15 am

I'm just happy he'll be voting Obama. "Nuff said.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 8:38 am

I think it shows that you can't generally assume what someone, especially and Autie or Aspie is up to. She thought he was completely uninterested in anything political and he kinda understood what democracy means (better than some NTs, who seem mot to care at all). It is always good to see this. :D

Edit: maybe I should add that I like that despite not being an Obama supporter.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

28 Sep 2008, 9:50 am

He is voting for Obama because he is black?

That's pretty naive. You don't vote for someone just because they are black or old or a woman, etc. You vote for who you think will be better four our country, do you like what they are going to do, do you think they will make our country better, etc.

Back in 2000, I wanted Bush to win because I thought it be cool if we had in history, Bush, Clinton, Bush. A funny pattern there with presidents. But I was a naive kid. I didn't watch anything about debates or speeches, etc. so I did not know what he was going to do. I just wanted him to win because of his name.

Just like people are voting for McCain because of a female vice president. We have never had one before. Someday at my job said he was voting for her because of a hot chick in the white house.

His support was low and then he picked Sarah Palin and bam his support went up. Coincidence or because he picked a woman for vice president and we have never had one before?

I would not vote for Obama just because he be the first black president and I would not vote for McCain so the new record for oldest president be 72.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 9:52 am

I think he has a clear understanding of what they had to go through to achieve racial equality.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 9:54 am

Repeating a statement from an Obama ad doesn't show that he has any idea of what politics is.

Speaking on Obama's beliefs and why he supports them better than the other candidate shows he knows politics.

I can repeat sayings from the "wax on, wax of" commercial, and at the correct times in conversations. But you wouldn't want me attempting to wax your car

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 11:04 am

I get it.

The kid cuts through the crap and straight to the truth because he doesn't really see the crap in the first place.

I was color blind until I was 21. My parents never told me that I should hate black people and why, and no one else ever took the trouble to spell it out for me. I heard of the riots during the 60's, but it all went right over my head.

A sick co-worker finally made a point of explaining it to me in simple terms, so now I get it.
We're supposed to group-hate one class of people because that lifts us up and makes our situation better...

Of course that is not a reason to vote for Obama, but this kid has a head start. Now that he is interested, he will probably vote more intelligently than most people.

For similar reasons, he will probably not fall for the Palin ploy -- As the questions get tougher, she becomes more and more adorable. Anyone who presses her for an intelligent answer will look like a bully. (I have never used this expression before, but WTF?) I have never been more insulted than I have by this campaign. The extremely sexist, "she is hot, therefore I should vote for her" message will go right over his head, and he will listen to the real issues.

Last edited by Tahitiii on 28 Sep 2008, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 11:07 am

Alot of you don't get it.

The point is not about obama supporters or mccain supporters, but the fact that it IS amazing how far we've come.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 11:11 am

It is good. We have made real progress.

McCain and Palin are trying to drag us back into the stone age.

Last edited by Tahitiii on 28 Sep 2008, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 11:13 am

You can learn more from the Disney channel than you think, anyway. :)

Guy's 21. He's obviously old enough to understand, and HOW many times have we heard from the Kanner's auties around here things like, "I knew a lot more than I could say"? Just because you use echolalia to communicate doesn't mean you're not understanding things. This is functional echolalia and it doesn't mean he doesn't understand--it just means he's got trouble forming original sentences. It's way different from randomly saying things you've heard before.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 11:15 am

What I think is INCREDIBLE, that many blacks and democrats do NOT SEEM TO GET is the following: I recently(only a week ago) heard some JERK on NPR saying that Obama has not CLEARLY one, because of RACISM! HUH!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Did you know that 100% of all the losers this time so far have been WHITE!?!?!? Obama BEAT them! If the US was as racist as many believe, he probably wouldn't even have made it onto the ballot! The democratic party, that used to SUPPORT SLAVERY by the way, would not have elected him as a candidate! He certainly would NOT have approximately 50% of the popular vote in the polls. And WHAT if he WINS!?!?!? Should the republican party scream sexism? After all, this would be the THIRD time that a woman didn't get elected on a major ticket. Obama can only claim to maybe be the first black on a MAJOR ticket.

The idea that the guy is black and that makes him special is the thing that is REALLY racist. If blacks want the US to be "color blind", then race should not be an issue AT ALL! That means that people, like obama, can get on the ticket and compete REGARDLESS of race, but ALSO means they can LOSE!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 11:16 am

demoluca wrote:
Alot of you don't get it.

The point is not about obama supporters or mccain supporters, but the fact that it IS amazing how far we've come.

now, that is what I saw, and why I posted it!

Merle

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 11:20 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
If blacks want the US to be "color blind", then race should not be an issue AT ALL! That means that people, like Obama, can get on the ticket and compete REGARDLESS of race, but ALSO means they can LOSE!
Absolutely. It's about the issues. We're on the brink of global economic collapse, world war and totalitarianism. We need someone who knows what's going on and can handle it.