Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 1:59 pm

Rocking back and forth is considered to be one of the more recognizable stims people with Asperger's syndrome and especially autism do, but now it looks like we're not the only ones:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/05/980501083053.htm

Science Daily wrote:
Nursing home residents who have dementia can literally rock away their anxiety and depression, nurse researchers have found, simply by rocking back and forth in a rocking chair for about an hour or two a day. Patients who rocked the most in a research study even requested less medication to ease their daily aches and pains, and their balance improved.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 2:19 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Rocking back and forth is considered to be one of the more recognizable stims people with Asperger's syndrome and especially autism do, but now it looks like we're not the only ones:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/05/980501083053.htm
Science Daily wrote:
Nursing home residents who have dementia can literally rock away their anxiety and depression, nurse researchers have found, simply by rocking back and forth in a rocking chair for about an hour or two a day. Patients who rocked the most in a research study even requested less medication to ease their daily aches and pains, and their balance improved.

Well, one does use one's leg muscles to rock in a rocking chair, and that does keep blood circulating in addition to burning calories, which keeps things just puttering along.... :wink:

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 2:19 pm

That's pretty cool.

On the other hand, I'm disappointed that this post wasn't a PR piece about that guy from The Vines meeting Keith Richards....

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 2:20 pm

Wow. Thats pretty interesting.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 6:02 pm

Have noticed that a person in a rocking chair is considered to be doing something eminently normal/mainstream, socially acceptable-yet it's same thing (I presume) as what a person with an ASD does, minus the special seat. Rather arbitrary of society to label such similar actions so differently. Surprised more people don't point this out-thanks for bringing it up.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 1:58 pm

My friend rocks, but he doesn't have autism. He suspects he has ADHD, I suspect he's bipolar...definitely not autism, though.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 2:28 pm

It's also very comforting to infants who's parents buy them those swings so when the babies get cranky they get put in the swing. the lever gets turned a few times, the swing starts rocking and the baby quiets down.

Also, parents purchase gliders or rocking chairs so they can use motion to sooth infants while feeding.

Meowpurr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2008, 2:43 pm

If you headbang, in order for it to be passed off as normal you just pop in some metal music and wah-la!

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 6:21 am

I would like to invent a rocking chair that can rock from side to side! :lol:

(But I would like a usual rocking chair one day, that would be nice.)