When a NT jumps off a bridge, he get praises but when an asp

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2008, 8:50 pm

Aspie does it, he gets laughed at! What gives? I don't get it. There's this popular boy who ran naked in last years homecoming game. Everyone respected him but when I started flashing in class, they make fun of me. Some girl told everyone that she had sex with Larry , she gets praised. But when I faked my pregnancy they laugh at me. What gives? I do what the normal people do to get noticed but you Still end up teased. What's up with that?! This happened to you?

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 9:04 pm

Well,

In case 2, they knew you were faking anyways. The other students have a way of knowing what is going on.

As for case 1, they saw you as a copy cat. The copy cat does not get as much good attention as the original

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 9:10 pm

In most of these situations it seems you were either being a really lame copy cat or that you weren't paying attention to the negative responses these kids got to their behaviour behind their backs.

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2008, 9:22 pm

They were very convinced I was pregnant. And even if I didn't copy anyone, I still get laughed at for something the NT could have done.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 9:25 pm

Well, I guess the best advice I can give you is to stop acting like a fool at school. Faking a pregnancy, whether you're NT or autistic, is a really dumb thing to do.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 9:29 pm

I think I know what you mean. You are saying an NT does these things while in school to show off and gains the respect of his peers for having the nerve to do it but when an Aspie does it, just gets mocked, ridiculed, laughed at.
Why this is, I has no clue. I am an Aspie too and I have no idea what makes them the way they are.
One guess is, maybe, they have a group established and an unspoken order to the group and will only respect certain people that conform to that group or ones that the unspoken says it's alright to respect.

This post got me thinking and I had to edit. It is really interesting, now that you mention it. I noticed when I was in class, the teachers just naturally respected certain students and I always wondered why? How did they know who to respect? It was always so mysterious to me. The teachers seemed to be able to intuit who the ones worthy of their respect were and would play that social game with them while certain others wouldn't get that from the teachers.
I knew the reason why I didn't get that but I never realized how the teachers knew whom to give their respect and play their affectionate games with. It was due to the unspoken.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 15 Oct 2008, 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 9:38 pm

I dunno..I used to mock NTs that did that sort of thing...;)
It's pretty hard at that age (one thing about AS, you actually remember how miserable your teen years were..;)

My kids have what I call 'attention deficit syndrome'; they think they don't get enough...;) I'm sure there's something about you that is both admirable and unique. I hope you find that, which is better revenge than any of that stuff.

Taly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2008, 10:39 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I think I know what you mean. You are saying an NT does these things while in school to show off and gains the respect of his peers for having the nerve to do it but when an Aspie does it, just gets mocked, ridiculed, laughed at.
Why this is, I has no clue. I am an Aspie too and I have no idea what makes them the way they are.

They can read us. We can't read them. They can always surprise people. WE CAN'T. I've never succeded in prankers. Ok, maybe 2, my entire life. People always say "duh, how can you be so silly?" Anyway I have ability to laugh at my own thoughts since I think in pictures ^^ :lol: tehy always go like: "What are you laughing at?" And I say: "My thoughts" and they go like: "duh".

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 11:23 pm

1. Streaking and flashing are not the same thing, and they are perceived very differently. Running through somewhere naked is a prank or a gesture of defiance. Flashing is seen as an overtly sexual act.
  2. Again, having sex and becoming pregnant are very different things. Sex is something you do because you want to. Pregnancy in this case is probably an accident.
  3. Most importantly, faking pregnancy is a stupid thing to do. You had to know they'd figure it out eventually, and pregnancy is a serious issue to most people.

Here's the thing. The people you are copying are doing these things because they want to. Or they're doing them for attention, but not being as obvious about it. What you're doing is obviously attention-seeking behavior, and people look down on that. If you want to act out, do it for yourself. Do it for your own entertainment or freedom of expression, and the attention will probably come anyway. Don't do it just for the attention. There are better ways to get it if you want it.

As for jumping off a bridge, nobody is praised for that, but it is true that the reaction is different. If an NT jumps off a bridge, it's because of problems in his life. If an aspie or anyone with pretty much any other neurological or psychological diagnosis jumps off a bridge, it's because they were unstable. The truth is that nobody jumps off a bridge unless they're a little unstable. Most just require a bit of a push to become that way, even us.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 11:25 pm

Chimchar wrote:
Aspie does it, he gets laughed at! What gives? I don't get it. There's this popular boy who ran naked in last years homecoming game. Everyone respected him but when I started flashing in class, they make fun of me. Some girl told everyone that she had sex with Larry , she gets praised. But when I faked my pregnancy they laugh at me. What gives? I do what the normal people do to get noticed but you Still end up teased. What's up with that?! This happened to you?

Well, it could be because streaking at a football game is different that flashing in class. As in, a football game and class are not the same thing.

And having sex and being pregnant are also two different things.

Edited to add: Looks like two of us had the same idea at the same time. But he said it better.

15 Oct 2008, 11:37 pm

I had the same sort of problem. Kids would be doing things they weren't supposed to do but when I would do it, they would tell a teacher I did it.

My shrink told me when I was 17 kids appreciate their friends more and they don't tell on them but when someone else does it and they aren't friends with that person, they tell on them. Just a stupid social rule they have; don't tell on your friends, but only tell on the ones who aren't. They even make a big deal out of it too if you do something you aren't supposed to do but if you are their friend, they will give you positive attention.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 11:51 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
My shrink told me when I was 17 kids appreciate their friends more and they don't tell on them but when someone else does it and they aren't friends with that person, they tell on them. Just a stupid social rule they have; don't tell on your friends, but only tell on the ones who aren't. They even make a big deal out of it too if you do something you aren't supposed to do but if you are their friend, they will give you positive attention.

It's really two different social rules or behaviors coming together. We all know we're supposed to report misbehavior, but we also don't want to risk losing our friends by betraying them. Most of us are willing to ignore minor violations to protect our friends because they are more important to us than the rules they've broken. There is a threshold at which point the rules become important enough to warrant such risk. Some people will abuse this threshold by insulting others who tattle for insignificant rules. This creates a social barrier against reporting these actions, with the consequence for infringement usually being ostracism from the group. So it becomes a group policy instead of just a pact between friends.

Taly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2008, 12:11 am

WurdBendur wrote:
[list=1][*]
As for jumping off a bridge, nobody is praised for that, but it is true that the reaction is different. If an NT jumps off a bridge, it's because of problems in his life. If an aspie or anyone with pretty much any other neurological or psychological diagnosis jumps off a bridge, it's because they were unstable. The truth is that nobody jumps off a bridge unless they're a little unstable. Most just require a bit of a push to become that way, even us.

tr00

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 2:04 am

WurdBendur wrote:
  1. Streaking and flashing are not the same thing, and they are perceived very differently. Running through somewhere naked is a prank or a gesture of defiance. Flashing is seen as an overtly sexual act.
  2. Again, having sex and becoming pregnant are very different things. Sex is something you do because you want to. Pregnancy in this case is probably an accident.
  3. Most importantly, faking pregnancy is a stupid thing to do. You had to know they'd figure it out eventually, and pregnancy is a serious issue to most people.
Here's the thing. The people you are copying are doing these things because they want to. Or they're doing them for attention, but not being as obvious about it. What you're doing is obviously attention-seeking behavior, and people look down on that. If you want to act out, do it for yourself. Do it for your own entertainment or freedom of expression, and the attention will probably come anyway. Don't do it just for the attention. There are better ways to get it if you want it.

Lol, you should get a book going if you already haven't. I tend to notice and react to these kinds of attention seekings or shock value differently but not on purpose. It's too hard for me to explain and interpret the differences between their actions leading up to their uncertain consequences.

As for me, I seem to get laughs or too much attention when I didn't do what caused the reaction on purpose...clumsy accidents or simple mistakes. /:

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 2:18 am

Why would you WANT to do things like that? :\ Surely there are better, more productive ways of bringing attention to yourself than lying, making other people around you uncomfortable and overall replicating lame stunts? I don't think this is an NT/AS issue, really. I wouldn't admire these behaviors no matter who was doing them.

Sling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2008, 3:26 am

Just don't try and impress NTs. NTs would take the piss out of me for doing every day things or things they would do and so I just beat them up.