Taboo thread #1: A possible theory about the nature of AS.

Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 5:05 pm

What is written below is all theoretical

The definition of AS/"Very" HFA:
In the Nazi culture, the very introvert and nonsocial people were considered weak and rejected and so ..."genetically inferior" , the genetically inferiors were considered as dangerous to the German Reich , they had no place in the greater Germany since the empire had to be "purified of all antisocial and Jewish elements".
For that reason, categorization of people was encouraged by Nazi Germany and those different people and nonsocial introvert people had to be labeled in order to be recognized.

Therefore, an Austrian pediatrician(was not even a neurologist or psychiatrist!!) who lived in a country under strong Nazi influence, has accomplished this mission by creating a new "medical" diagnosis on the basis of a mediocre scientific study that was done on only FOUR boys and linked it to a real disorder which is Autism , this new diagnosis was called by his name as Asperger's syndrome .

After a while of the fall of the Nazi empire , this personality type described above is no longer desired nor accepted by the rest of the world too (even by the parents), the world is leaning more and more into extroverts and therefore this minority of people with such personality type feel alien and rejected and often fall in depression and anti-social isolation.
As result of the increase of these people's complains about their 'difference' as well the parent's complains about the 'difference' of their kids, the psychiatric industry took benefit from those people and adopted the same Label created by Hans Asperger to diagnose those people.

Like in the case of ADHD , the Psychiatric industry started to promote that diagnosis with biased brain studies on kids who are already on drugs and Molecular Psychiatry promoted unclear genetic studies every while showing how Asperger is related to many genes and environmental factors (if it's a personality type then It's surely related to many genes and environmental factors , any personality type is partly genetic and can somehow be INHERITED too.). The asperger's symptoms can all be considered as normal behavioral traits like obsession and lack of empathy (quirky but normal) in which almost everyone in the world has at least one or two of such traits.

They did a great Marketing job and nowadays millions Antidepressants and stimulants are being prescribed and sold to those who are diagnosed as "Asperger",those introverts have just fell victims under a psychiatric Label and embraced it in order to feel an explanation for their difference.

Classic Autism: A real brain disorder , not related to AS, its cause is unknown but probably related to genetic and environmental factors (like mercury , a well known neurotoxin found in many products and food). Classic Autism is not even close to Asperger's syndrome.

Classic auties have those features:
# a profound lack of affect or emotional contact with others
# an intense wish for sameness in routines
# muteness or abnormality of speech
# fascination with manipulating objects
# high levels of visuo-spatial skills, but major learning difficulties in other areas
# attractive, alert and intelligent appearance.

Diagnosis:
Unlike the Asgerger's symptoms , those symptoms are very clearly abnormal

* Very limited eye contact,
* Avoidance of physical contact,
* Inappropriate facial expressions and emotional responses,
* Inflexibility in routines,
* Repetitive movements like hand flapping,
* Delay in the development of speech, and speech without communicative gestures,
* Difficulty or inability to converse,
* Inflexible routines,
* Unusual interests with certain objects, and
* Onset of at least one of the above systems before the age of three.

Classic autism is a real DISABILITY because it interferes with one's ability to take care of his own (unless if he's professionally taught how to live by his/her , like the blind person) and its symptoms interferes with one's daily activities too

Classic Autism IS a spectrum where there are High functioning autistics and low functioning autistics but in both cases the symptoms can be easily be spot ....as for those who are very very veryyyyyyy high functioning autistics , those are just NTs people.

PS: What's so funny that many Dxed Aspies and Self-Dxed Aspies think they have the right to talk in the name of 'whole Autism' , including Classic Autism, and promote the idea that Autism is not is real disability and not even abnormality but just "neurodifference" and refuse any study that suggests that Autism may be caused by an external factor like Mercury or pollution because they relate AS to Classic Autism and so don't want to be related to abnormality.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 5:12 pm

LPP, you fail at both historical accuracy and scientific competence.

V4der
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2008, 5:19 pm

How is this taboo?

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 5:21 pm

Orwell wrote:
LPP, you fail at both historical accuracy and scientific competence.

:thumleft:

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 5:26 pm

V4der wrote:
How is this taboo?

taboo in WP community , just keep watching the replies and you'll get why it's taboo.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 5:33 pm

There's a whole lot of guys with Asperger's well into their adulthood who've not been exposed to the self dx, or even pro dx, that have had it badly in life. I mean badly. If you want to disrespect a whole hell of a lot of people, you've found a good way to do so. You shouldn't be basing your opinions on select groups of people who self identify with this syndrome as a way to judge the actual syndrome. Just because a bunch of emo idiots have found this thing, doesn't mean this thing isn't for real. Get over your self.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 5:39 pm

V4der wrote:
How is this taboo?

To paraphrase, the OP is simply saying that ASD isn't a disorder at all but normal behaviours slightly farther out on the behavioral spectrum.
That ASD is a myth perpetuated, in part, by Dr. Karl Brandt in an effort to "cleanse" the German populace of anyone deamed unfit to perpetuate the race.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 5:42 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
V4der wrote:
How is this taboo?

taboo in WP community , just keep watching the replies and you'll get why it's taboo.

I don't think fiction can be considered taboo. Taboo implies some grounds in reality. You don't even have an accurate description of when or who began using the term "Asperger's Syndrome".

I don't understand why you'd write something so ficticious when historical fact can be found with a little bit of research. Decided the factual history is too boring? Looking for a conspiracy? Just trolling in general?

Quote:
PS: What's so funny that many Dxed Aspies and Self-Dxed Aspies think they have the right to talk in the name of 'whole Autism' , including Classic Autism, and promote the idea that Autism is not is real disability and not even abnormality but just "neurodifference" and refuse any study that suggests that Autism may be caused by an external factor like Mercury or pollution because they relate AS to Classic Autism and so don't want to be related to abnormality.

How is this any different that your declaration that you know what "many Dxed Aspies and Self-Dxed Aspies think"? Sounds hypocritical and not very funny to me.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 5:45 pm

Actually, both Hans Asperger and his daughter believed that he had the disorder himself. Asperger also claimed that the fathers of the children he based his research on were possible candidates for the condition. By using the Reductio ad Hitlerum fallacy, you're only showing that you don't know how the diagnosis originated.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

13 Oct 2008, 5:58 pm

Quote:
What is written below is all theoretical

You might want to bold that, purely to prevent the spread of miss information.

Interesting idea. Problem is that you'll never find data to support it. If the Nazi's wanted to exterminate the asocial* they could of just nave labeled them as Mentally Ill.

*- Autistics' are more known as being asocial, aka not socializing. Antisocial is when one actively acts against society. This kind of behavior is common in sociopaths.

As for the Nazi's trying to get rid of the Antisocial population, yes they did.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2008, 6:45 pm

Another problem with this theory and others that are similiar is the implication that it is fabricated as a conspiracy to sell more phsychiatric drugs. Here is the fallacy in that line of reasoning- since when do any drugs cure or even treat any kind of autism? Yes some take antidepressants and/or anti anxiety drugs, however the psychiatric industry and big pharma don't need any label of any kind to sell drugs. If they did, they should stick to depression and anxiety as chemical imbalances. That implies that the problem needs to be corrected by drugs, not that there are external factors involved that have nothing to do with serotonin production or sensitivity. Those same people would be on them anyway, because their problems would still be the same with or without a label.

I took Paxil as a teenager, because I was convinced my problem was depression coupled with social anxiety. It didn't do much, but it was very hard to go off of. Later when I started learning about AS, the thought of trying to fix my social problems and resulting depression with a somewhat dangerous drug that's specifically designed (or so they say) for people with a serotonin imbalance seemed absurd. Now I had a new direction to look that made so much more sense. Trust me, having AS might help Big Pharma, but learning that you have AS is no extra boost for them.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 7:18 pm

You've refuted your own case when you state that the world has increasingly leaned towards extraverts as 'normal' and 'natural' humans at the expense and exclusion of the introvert. That alone makes it a disability. I also think it may not have been necessarily a disability 60+ years ago because life and the world was very different. I can understand why the category got 'shelved' for so long.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 8:59 pm

This seems awfully similar to the "blue eyes" thread, and like that one, it is absolute rubbish.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 9:03 pm

Check your facts for once.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 10:09 pm

Perhaps Lysenko might stand in your corner...;)

Remember the scientific escape hatch: "further studies are needed". The phrase that launched a thousand grants...;)

As self-diagnosed, I don't always even speak out for me. I'm trying to figure this out, like a good many other people around here...

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

13 Oct 2008, 10:36 pm

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
Actually, both Hans Asperger and his daughter believed that he had the disorder himself. Asperger also claimed that the fathers of the children he based his research on were possible candidates for the condition. By using the Reductio ad Hitlerum fallacy, you're only showing that you don't know how the diagnosis originated.

didn't know that; interestingly, i recently read a description of Kanner which to me suggest (strongly) that he was an aspie -
i guess it took one to know one

the common thread/word in the two, LPP, would be 'aloneness'

may your god forgive you