Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

18 Oct 2008, 9:20 pm

Yesterday I was at work and I was pushing my cart and I see these two people from the laundry department pushing a coat rack with clean uniforms on it. They bump into the time clock and this other room attendant sees it and says, "You did a Beth thing."
I thought it was funny and I start laughing and say, "That was so Beth."

I don't know if the lady was trying to be mean or not but I thought it was funny anyway. My boyfriend thought it sounded mean but told me "If you think it is" after I asked him "Do you think it's funny?"

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 9:24 pm

It depends on whether people like Beth or not. If they don't like her, then it may be mean, pure and simple. If they do like her and she isn't unhappy with her clumsiness, then it may be fine. If they're referring to a single truly spectacular event of clumsiness that anyone would be proud of (legendary, beyond embarassing), then it's probably fine. Who's Beth? Was she there?

18 Oct 2008, 9:27 pm

I'm Beth. It's better to laugh at yourself then getting upset.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 9:34 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I'm Beth. It's better to laugh at yourself then getting upset.

Basically, it is a stupid way of saying that they did what beth typically does. I guess they see you bump into various things, and acted like that. It is USUALLY a light insult of sorts, but USUALLY playful. You can determine the REAL meaning by how they treat you and how they react when YOU do it.

It probably IS best to just laugh at it. BTW if they are not OPENLY angry at you, and said it KNOWING you were there, it probably WAS playful.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 9:37 pm

just sounds lilke a hint. It will only be a problem if you let it be...as the old saying goes 'no one can offend you unless you let them' (or something to that effect)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 9:48 pm

I just started referring to myself as MsMonk when I absolutely HAVE to have the venetian blinds straight across, (rather than that sleazy one side hiked up longer than the other!) or if I bound through the office in my 'on a mission' style. Now they just say, "oh, MsMonk is on a mission" and we all smile.

sometimes we have to do what we have to do just to survive the day to day.
Merle

*Monk is a TV show of a man that is a 'neurotic' San Francisco detective that has to have things 'just so', among other quirks. People put up with him because he is a genius at what he does.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 10:02 pm

In general, if the victim is laughing, it's funny.
If the victim is not laughing, it's abuse.

Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2008, 10:10 pm

I do think that it sounds mean- but I think that you reacted wonderfully!

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 10:24 pm

Did they know you were there? If so, just jocular teasing. If not, maybe a little mean, but in a very minor way. Clumsiness is funny. People always love it when one of my shoe heels gets trapped in my pants hem and I go down like so much timber. The only appropriate reaction is to laugh, unless you're bleeding.

If you're bleeding, and people are still laughing, then it's mean.

18 Oct 2008, 10:34 pm

I was right there where she could see me when she said it. I was just leaving the office after dropping off the dirty cups and going back upstairs to my halls but had to go to the storage room first.

I don't know if she was trying to be mean or not but I laughed anyway. If she was trying to hurt me, then she did a bad job.