Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2004, 11:50 pm

I just noticed an interesting phenomena - I find that it takes me forever to watch a movie - up to six hours for a two hour movie - the reason is that I'm constantly rewinding it to look at a particular effect or look on someone's face - or to read the words on a painting on the wall in the back of the picture . . . strange stuff like that . . .
Well, I found it really interesting that, I assume because of the subtitles, I didn't have this problem with 'The Passion of the Christ' - there were only one or two scenes that I rewound to look at details of - this is interesting to me because it seems to really support the idea that integration of sences is one of the major issues with autism - in this case all I had to use was vision since the auditory stimuli of people talking didn't make sence at all, except in cadence . . .

I just thought that was an interesting phenomena . . . the movie, by the way, is quite well done . . .

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2004, 1:17 am

I also prefer subtitled films- I like foreign films and anime, so I'm quite used to it. I do find, though, that I miss a lot of the action with subtitles because I focus on the text and miss what is going on up above.

As for movie watching, it takes a lot of attention for me to watch a movie, so I tend to watch movies I've seen before more often than going to see new ones, since it's more relaxing.

And on the topic of sensory integration- I actually had a mental shutdown during the Matrix 2 during the Agent Smith fight scene and the car chase scene- I was not tired at all, but I could not keep my eyes open, and I just fell right asleep because I couldn't follow all of the motion going across the screen at once.

MichaelKnight
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2004, 2:09 am

I don't know if I just lack empathy but Passion of Christ bored me to tears :x

But what you're bringing animallover is very interesting. I also tend to watch pretty much all my movies with subtitles. Started this way because I was seeing a lot of movies in foreign languages (film student), but now I watch almost everything subtitled. I never tought it could have had a relation to autism, but what you're bringing is a very interesting point, thanks! :D

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2004, 5:13 am

I've never felt a need to have subtitles on when I watch a movie, but one of my strongest autistic tendancies is that I often have to rewind part of a movie or song and play back over and over.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2004, 7:49 am

I like subtitles because I sometimes have trouble understanding what people are saying. People with low voices are the hardest for me to comprehend. It gives me focus just to watch the visual.

As for empathy- I don't know if it was empathy or just an aversion to gore for me, but I was not able to finish watching Passion of the Christ. There was too much blood and gore. At first, I thought I was fine, but then I realized my head was getting dizzy and my stomach felt sick. I extrapolated that it must be from the movie, because I know I've had that reaction from seeing gore before.

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

24 Dec 2004, 7:55 am

Scoots5012 wrote:
I've never felt a need to have subtitles on when I watch a movie, but one of my strongest autistic tendancies is that I often have to rewind part of a movie or song and play back over and over.

I watch funny scenes over and over, and I thought everyone did that...but I am learning otherwise.

I also must watch from the very beginning until the very end. It is rarely ok to not watch through the very end of the credits, whether in the cinema or at home. I don't even like to skip the previews on most DVDs or videos. It used to drive my wife crazy, but she understands me a bit better now.

I've intentionally turned on subtitles in the past, but find that I stop watching the movie and am merely reading along. It is not nearly as interesting that way. As far as watching videos and DVDs go, I sometimes get distracted by the counter on the front of the player and watch it instead of the movie...

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2004, 8:34 am

When I watch a movie on tape or DVD, I sometimes rewind or select the chapter again to watch a particular scene over and over to notice the details and the way it was made. I think it is interesting. So when my brother watches a movie or a show (like FRIENDS) with me on DVD, he keeps the remote control in his hands.

Also, I watch everything in a movie ; I watch until the end of the credits.
I am usually the last person in the movie theater at the end.

Besides, since I can not concentrate and sit during the whole movie, I stop it from time to time to get up when I watch it alone, or just move a little if I am not alone.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2004, 11:40 am

There are a few movies that I've watched over and over again. I've seen the first Austin Powers 14 times, the second one 9 times and the third one 5 times. I've also watched the original version of A Christmas Carol 23 times, on Video and Television. :P

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2004, 1:01 pm

I always prefer to watch sometime I've seen a few times rather than something new. I have a stock of favourite films and I'll watch them if I'm in the mood for watching stuff (Breakfast at Tiffany's, Rocky Horror show, Heathers- just to name a couple). I go through obsessions of watching a particular movie a lot or my Buffy/Angel tapes- I'll watch them all night every night for weeks (luckily Dunc seems to get this obsession at the same time as me).

When I was younger I used to rewind films constantly to watch my favourite bit over and over again. I've stopped doing this quite so much cos it used to drive Dunc mad lol. One film i had to watch this 2 second scene over and over again just to see the facial expression of the actor.

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Dec 2004, 2:51 pm

There is that style of filming that involves moving the camera a lot, i don't know how it's called but, i can't stand that :evil:

I just watched "Bourne identity" and it is like that. A couple of times during the movie i just had to stop looking, i wasn't able to "see" the scene well and it was annoying :cry:

I too have to watch from the begining to the very end and often rewind to look again some details :wink:

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2004, 11:24 pm

coyote wrote:
There is that style of filming that involves moving the camera a lot, i don't know how it's called but, i can't stand that :evil:

Would you be referring to cinema verite in which the camera is hand held and roams around following the talents as they perform their scene.

There's another method very similar to that with a much more generic sounding name, shaky cam, in which the camera is mounted onto a board and moved around by two operators, typically used in horror films.

And then there is stedi-cam, which is a mechanical device invented by Garret Brown back in 1973, and first used commercially in the film Rocky, which isolates a camera from the motion of the human body, allowing an operator to get very steady cinema verite like shots.

Do any of these sound familar?

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Dec 2004, 12:13 am

It is probably hand held but the moves are calculated and they are not simply the camera-man's moves. They add to the overall impression of action. Example: Instead of just simply show a keyboard, they will zoom in on it or they will sweep from one end to the other. And the different images are succeeding very fast, like not a full second between each. They can render a stand still scene to look has if it was full of action.

hilarythebaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Dec 2004, 5:25 pm

I prefer DVDs to be captioned or subtitled, but I handle it just fine if the DVDs are not, as I import a lot of my DVDs and they don't always have captions or subtitles. I am very used to watching movies whose languages I do not understand. Usually I know the story of the movie before I buy it, so I have an idea of what is going on, and I have a very good imagination, so I can imagine what people might be saying.

What does bug me is when American DVDs don't have English subtitles, only French or Spanish. If it's sold in a largely English-speaking country, it should have English subtitles. But it's okay because I understand Spanish well enough to get by, and I also can hear the English. I have a couple of DVDs that are from the Netherlands and have only Dutch subtitles, but that's cool because I know what the people really are saying and I can read Dutch a little but I'm not good at it. I can usually hear the TV just fine, but I don't always understand what people are saying.

I have been known to watch movies so many times that I have them memorized. At one point I knew every damned word in that movie, "Hope and Glory." I usually don't repeat scenes from films, though. I prefer to watch a movie straight through.

Sometimes a friend and I go to the movies and the only problem I have about him is that he wonders about all the technical things in movies, like how they put Peter Pan and Neverland in the Davie-Llewellyn's parlor at the end of the movie in "Finding Neverland", and when we went to see "I Am David," he wondered why the boy's hair never got messed up. I am so tempted to say, "it's only a movie...." but I still like going to the movies with this friend! :D

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2005, 2:50 pm

clerks is the greatest movie ever

From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
-------
I have no faith distracting me
I know why your prayers will never be answered

Paleonerd21
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Aug 2023, 6:45 pm

I repeat scenes or parts of scenes until I have processed enough. It takes me about three hours to finish a two hour movie. I have been doing this since I was a child.