What medications do you take, and how does it affect you?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Qi
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2008, 12:34 pm

I'm trying to figure out if there's hope for me yet with the right medication, so I'd appreciate it if you share your experiences with medication.

I've been put on Prozac, and it seems to interfere with my ability to obsess over things, and I don't feel much difference in terms of depression and anxiety. I couldn't sit still. I've also been on Risperdal, which seemed to help a lot with my irritability and depression, and I actually started to make my own food and stuff. My doctors also put me on Concerta, which is supposed to help me with my concentration, but it only makes me more irritable and hyper, and I'm waiting for my doctors to decide to change it.

Magliabechi
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2008, 12:49 pm

Qi wrote:
I'm trying to figure out if there's hope for me yet with the right medication

If you are looking for hope by taking drugs you are looking in the wrong place.

Magliabechi.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 2:16 pm

If you are waiting for your doctors to decide to change something, then you need to really tell them (repeatedly) that this isn't helping you.

Medications don't really directly help Asperger's; but if you have anxiety and depression, they may help that. I really think you ought to get a decent therapist, too, because medication without therapy isn't nearly as useful.

I took Lexapro for a few years for depression. I got off it last February and have been OK since, though last school quarter was difficult and I was worried it was going to come back for a while. I think the important thing with antidepressants is to take advantage of the edge they give you to work on the depression directly, instead of expecting them to cure you.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com