Does anyone adopt the opinions of others?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2008, 5:10 pm

I can;t help it. I can't form an opinion on anything and when someone makes a good point, I unconciously copy that statement and not taking into account that it's an opinion. I often use someone else's opinion in conversations.

When I like something and everyone hates it, I have to hate it too. My opinion molds into someone else's, I don't know it just HAPPENS.

I used to like spongebob, and everyone else made fun of me because of it. Now I can't stand him anymore.

Everyone hated Hannah Montana....And whoever is carrying hannah montana is considered weird to them.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 5:16 pm

Yeah, I do the same thing, and I hate me for doing that. :oops:
It makes me feel like less of an individual.
..well at least with topics like that, maybe not bigger, more important topics...

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

Last edited by SeizeTheDay on 03 Dec 2008, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 5:42 pm

I can often be muddled and confused as to what my opinion might be on a subject. It can drive some people nuts.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 6:08 pm

Never. My opinions are always weirdXD

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 6:11 pm

I can be convinced by a good argument; but chances are I'll STAY convinced, if it was really that good.

I've found myself accidentally agreeing with people that I don't actually agree with, though. That happens in verbal conversation, when I'm following the pattern and didn't catch it on time. I've also caught myself accidentally lying for the same reason; following the pattern, finding something that fits into the conversation, forgetting that it's not actually true.

That hardly ever happens when I write. Writing gives you a little time to think and isn't so demanding; and even if it does happen, you can change it before you post.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Brook-lynn20
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2008, 6:15 pm

It did happen a long time ago with Barney. Some boys were teasing me "You like Barney! You like Barney!" I said, "No I don't!" Then I stopped liking Barney. I use to love Barney (I've heard the new Barney..he's nasally.)

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 6:18 pm

Sometimes, even when people say something that I agree, I disagree (criticizing what other people say is more funny, IMO, than agreeing)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 6:18 pm

Y'know, I think this actually happens to NTs too. I remember they did this experiment where they had people claim a boring exercise was interesting; and then had them actually rate the exercise. The people who were instructed to say it was interesting rated it as more interesting than those not instructed to say anything. The effect decreased, however, if they were paid $5 for saying it. Net conclusion: If you say you believe something, you are more likely to actually come to believe it; but having some other reason for saying it insulates you against the effect.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 6:28 pm

I do adopt the opinion of others or just go along with theirs so I don't upset them.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 6:36 pm

Brook-lynn20 wrote:
It did happen a long time ago with Barney. Some boys were teasing me "You like Barney! You like Barney!" I said, "No I don't!" Then I stopped liking Barney. I use to love Barney (I've heard the new Barney..he's nasally.)

Really 8O
Barney was so awesome! I used to have him on video, I would watch it several times a day...
Now I'm extremely in to Blue's Clues. It's one of my favorite shows! (It was back then too, but I still love that show!)

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 8:43 pm

Brook-lynn20 wrote:

A similar thing happened with me and Naruto. I used to be a huge Naruto fan, but once I started using Gaia Online and everyone on there said it was stupid, I forced myself to quit liking it. That's one of the many reasons why I enjoy Hellsing, Gurren Lagann and Code Geass; I haven't heard too much negative feedback about them, so that makes me feel better about being a fan of them.

AdventurerGR
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Dec 2008, 9:41 pm

Chimchar wrote:
I can;t help it. I can't form an opinion on anything and when someone makes a good point, I unconciously copy that statement and not taking into account that it's an opinion. I often use someone else's opinion in conversations.

When I like something and everyone hates it, I have to hate it too. My opinion molds into someone else's, I don't know it just HAPPENS.

That used to happen to me a lot, until I met other people who had a different opinion on a specific matter than the previous ones. I found it very unfair that I hadn't met these people first ; if I had then I would never have to change my opinion, but now I was perceived as not believing in it, eventhough I did at first.

From that day on I tried and managed to limit this "molding" effect. I still copy other persons' statements on matters I have no opinion on, but if I already have an opinion (including the aforementioned copied ones) then I keep and defend it unless someone convinces me otherwise with proper argumentation.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 9:54 pm

Actually, abrasive statements about almost anything I happen to like send me into a defensive attack mode.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 10:19 pm

Callista wrote:
Y'know, I think this actually happens to NTs too.

Don't forget about the Milgram experiment...

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 10:46 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Brook-lynn20 wrote:

A similar thing happened with me and Naruto. I used to be a huge Naruto fan, but once I started using Gaia Online and everyone on there said it was stupid, I forced myself to quit liking it. That's one of the many reasons why I enjoy Hellsing, Gurren Lagann and Code Geass; I haven't heard too much negative feedback about them, so that makes me feel better about being a fan of them.

I loved the Bleach videogame, because I'm not much of a gamer but I love that anime. Then a lot of people said it was the worst videogame ever - I pretended I didn't care but I haven't played it since.