Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2008, 5:17 am

I was looking around the net for anything interesting to do this weekend in edmonton, and after a bit of rummaging, i ended up coming across this website. Not really my type of music, but thought people would be interested. They're performing for CBC on new years eve.

http://www.myspace.com/christianhansen

Quote:
what is "Autistic"?

Perhaps I should explain some things.

The Name "Christian Hansen & the Autistics" is not meant to be offensive.

Many people have assumed that because I use the word "Autistic" that I am being sarcastic, mean spirited and insensative, or that I am sending up this condition and all special needs people as well. This is not what it is meant to convey at all. The word "Autistic" is not an offensive word, and just because it's used in the context of a band name does not make it offensive either.

Autism is a developmental condition that has to do with how an individual's mind processes the outside world and consequently, how they relate to it. I've spent alot of time with people who have autism, a family member of mine is autistic, and I also work with special needs people on a daily basis as part of a music program I run at a local community organization.

The amount of inspiration I receive from working with people with autism, and people with disabilities as a whole, is huge. This is why I called my band "Christian Hansen & the Autistics". Yes, it is provocative and yes it causes you to think "what does that mean?" and that's what it's meant to do. So many people have come up to me and said that they didn't even know what Autism was before they'd heard of me and my band, and if I can raise awareness regarding people with autism and the amazing gifts they have for the world I'm happy.

This name is a revolving name anyway. Sometimes we're Christian Hansen & the Autistics, sometimes we're Christian Hansen & the Easily Offended, sometimes we're Christian Hansen & the Judgementals. Just know that if you see my name, it's the same band.

This concludes my rant. Thanks for reading and thanks for keeping an open mind.