Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:07 pm

To my way of thinking one can never have to many cats. Having cats is kind of like having Asperger's as it is more a state of 'being' than a condition. Therefore cat collecting is theoretically a natural thing to do.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:10 pm

I could only handle 2 cats at most. Better cats than dogs though.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:11 pm

The only limit is the amount of cat crap you can shovel out of their litter boxes daily!

kitsunetsuki
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2009, 5:13 pm

I would think so at least if you can't care for them,I have seem pictures and shows about animal hoarders, they can be very bad

06 Jan 2009, 5:13 pm

If you have too many cats, you get harassment from the health department and all. Whoever comes by and tells you you have too many animals and you need to get rid of them.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:20 pm

Most communities also have laws that limit the number of cats you can have. Here, the number is 8.

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:24 pm

I love cats, but I can't afford to take care of them properly. So right now I don't have one. :(

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:26 pm

You can have as many cats as you can provide with adequate food, medical care, space, and attention. If you are well off and have a big house and time to spare, go ahead and have twenty cats.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:30 pm

demeus wrote:
Most communities also have laws that limit the number of cats you can have. Here, the number is 8.

In Edmonton, it's 5.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:32 pm

garyww,
am agree-don't think there is such a thing as too many as long as have got the money and space to look after each of them,though there are people who should only have one or two because of their lesser ability to cope-only have to watch programmes like 'a life of grime' to see the damage from having too many-cat fanciers living in houses full of underweight flea bitten un neutured cats and cat crap,and not having enough money to take them all to the vets so problems get worse and worse for the cats,the worst thing about watching that programme was the amount of the cats in those overcrowded homes that ended up euthanised by the vets because of their neglect.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:35 pm

Damn the laws and the governments. Who did the statistical anaylsis for these guys who most probably hate cats to begin with since they are 'independent' creatures.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:35 pm

At one stage when i was growing up, we had 11 cats (with the kittens - but they stayed for a while) and a rabbit, two guinea pigs, an aviary filled with birds - zebra finches, budgies, quails and a few other species, frogs and tadpoles, a dog, and the usual insects and spiders found in rambling back gardens in suburban australia. on eo fthe best things my weird family did, was allow a virtual free-for-all when it came to having animals. in our feral family they were regarded as an essential part of the familial fabric.

if you can give cats, or any other animals a good and loving home...then yes. have as many as you can give loving life to.

i now have a devon-rex called william (that weird fur-less breed, made famous by the Austin Powers dr. Evil (?) character.)
beofre William, i had another devon rex called popper. William sleeps in my bed in winter and in summer prefers a cooler context for naps. (it get very hot here in summer.) sometimes however, he does invade my space a bit because of my sensory overload problems, but he and i have it worked out and he's great wtih that.

he is spoiled, intelligent, and adored, and along with my dog peg, who also sleeps in my room - is an essential member of my family.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:36 pm

At one time my cousin had 27 cats. She lived on a farm and most of the cats lived in the farm buildings rather than in the house.

When she opened the door to go out and feed them all these paws would reach round the door as soon as it was open even a crack. That was pretty freaky! 8O

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:36 pm

You're probably a subversive.

Artemisia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jan 2009, 5:40 pm

The limit is two cats under my local city bylaws. Isn't that absurd? Yes, I have.... more.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:41 pm

Go for it!! !