clashing teeth, counting, must be an even number

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Bowie
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2009, 8:45 pm

ok, dunno if this is ACD or Aspergers or nothing, but...

I have to tap my upper and lower sets of teeth together on the left and right side separately, but always an even number of times. if i have a feeling ive tapped the right one more time than the left, or the other way round, i get an intense feeling of anxiety, panic

sometimes i have to tap along to the tune of a song ive just heard, to hit all the notes,

Anyone recognise any of this?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 9:08 pm

The "doing repetitive action to relieve anxiety" thing sounds like OCD to me. Very common along with ASDs.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2009, 9:20 pm

Yup, I do the same thing. And in the same direction: it must be "clockwise", or left to right. If I feel I slipped and started to go counterclockwise, I have to reverse. Weird, huh? I know it is OCD because of stress or anxiety.

www.neurointegrity.com

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 9:21 pm

I click my teeth together a lot and bang my head to click my teeth. I also count everything in even numbers as odd numbers REALLY upset me.

KayCe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2009, 9:53 pm

sbcmetroguy wrote:
...odd numbers REALLY upset me.

:lol:

I am uncomfortable with even numbers.

In many contexts I am especially uncomfortable with zeros because--to me--zeros usually mean "completion" or "stasis"/stagnation. If the numbers refer to things I do NOT want to be "finished," then I will go to some considerable effort to make certain that the end digit is NOT a zero. (If the numbers refer to things that continue to change, like running sums of paid admissions to a music event, when they temporarily pause at zero, I am usually fairly uncomfortable until the last digit changes to the number "one" again.)

The big exception is money: if the numbers refer to money then I'm okay with both zeros and all other even numbers (because monetary figures can be "finished" at any point in time), but in most other situations I will go out of my way to achieve odd numbers.

I always attributed this to past lives in Japan (because this particular trait is part of Japanese culture: giving even numbers of flowers, for example, is considered to be not only general bad luck, but in particular thoughtless or ill wishes towards the recipient of the gift).

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2009, 3:47 am

I've never considered OCD until recently, actually. I get random bouts with things. I can't give any examples, but I can say that I've had many many experiences of it, so I can describe perhaps.

Sometimes something just doesn't feel "right". I tell myself it doesn't matter, and try to ignore it. I get this feeling that screams, "YOU MUST FIX IT!" So, naturally, I get it fixed, and the feeling goes away.

I have successfully thought of an example now! Some particular arrangements is something that plagues me from time to time. Let's say I had a row of containers, like four or five. Each container had a different size, color, or shape. I would feel compelled to arrange them by order of dark to light colors, and similar shape to non-similar shape. If a non-similar shape broke the color arrangement, I'd probably want to throw it out and get one that matches the color arrangement.

That isn't my only thing, as said it feels "random" when something feels wrong and must be fixed.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 5:04 am

I do a few things like this.

Jsmitheh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2009, 6:01 am

I do all three :?

MONKEY
Veteran