Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 6:46 pm

someone posted recently about losing her sense of smell when music was playing. i occasionally lose my sense of taste when there's too much noise.

does this sort of thing happen to anyone else?

today i lost hearing in one ear for about ten seconds, for no reason i could discern. this sometimes happens. i doubt it's a wax in the ears thing - it "turns off" very suddenly, replaced by ringing, then "turns on" again. not sure if it's related.

also once i lost my vision for about 5-10 minutes. also i sometimes get faulty input - inaccurate taste / smell.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 7:07 pm

I have issues using multiple sense at once but I don't think I've ever lost one completely. Weirdest thing that's ever happened...my cousin says that he saw me in parking lot a few years ago, yelled my name, and that I just looked at him and didn't say anything. I really don't remember this but he said it was definitely me and he actually seemed offended. I guess I just didn't see him even though I was staring right at him. I;m not really surprised because I have a pretty terrible time recognizing faces most of the time anyway, it's just hard for me to process a face when there are other things going on. It's not like I couldn't SEE though, I just wasn't processing what I saw.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 8:03 pm

anyone else?

how about: "losing" part of your body with your mind (if that makes sense)?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 8:06 pm

katzefrau wrote:
anyone else?

how about: "losing" part of your body with your mind (if that makes sense)?

I replied to the thread that you're referring to saying that I can't smell when the frypan is going because the noise gets in the way.

I also "lose" parts of my body when I'm overloaded; they disappear from my brain's map. Not very helpful if I'm holding something in my right hand and my brain suddenly decides that I no longer have a right hand.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 8:20 pm

I lose my sense of hearing due to stress or medication and smell due to allergies.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 8:47 pm

I have my vision partially go away due to opthalmic migraines sometimes.

The ringing in the ear thing is interesing -- I have that happen; sudden loud ringing that slowly fades away. I've always wondered what exactly that is.

As far as the losing of the body, not sure. Sometimes when I'm walking I feel like I'm floating -- like I'm not noticing my legs are connecting me to the ground. Sometimes lately I use cane (for other reasons), which actually makes that a lot better (easier not to bump into things, or that's the feeling, anyway).

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 8:54 pm

I don't think I ever completely *lose* senses, but I might experience a delay in processing sensory information when I'm already overloaded. For instance, there was one time at work when I found myself unable to make out what people were saying, and I was saying, "What? I can't hear you!" I also vaguely perceived a spike in my already high stress level. Suddenly, I figured out the reason why -- the fire alarm was going off, and had been going off for nearly a full minute. The fire alarm had been going off for close to 60 full seconds before I actually noticed. 8O
I've had other similar experiences where my brain doesn't automatically process the information it's receiving, even as I'm already being affected by the stimuli.
ETA: There was no fire. The fire alarm was going off because someone had pulled the fire alarm.