Please do tell: In what ways are you a hypocrite?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Forsaken
Raven
Raven

28 Dec 2008, 1:18 am

Please do tell:
In what ways are you a hypocrite?
What advice do you generally find your self giving but rarely (if ever) follow?
and why?

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

28 Dec 2008, 3:49 am

Forsaken wrote:
Please do tell:

In what ways are you a hypocrite?

What advice do you generally find your self giving but rarely (if ever) follow? and why?

GREAT thread title, forsakenly challenging&provoking

no mind for it now, this deserves earnest consideration & pondering
just bookmarking this, i will be coming back and owning up

and i won't be restricting that to "advice not taken"

there are soooo many ways of hypocrysie

may your god forgive you

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 4:26 am

Forsaken wrote:
What advice do you generally find your self giving but rarely (if ever) follow?
and why?

Hmm.. something along the lines of my last post here in these forums..

Acacia wrote:
time is a human fabrication.
live right now :!:

I wish I lived right now. Every now and again I remember to. And I love telling this to others who are bogged down in the illusion of time. But I can't say that I always follow my own advice. Why? Well... somehow or the other, I still don't seem to hardly know myself. So maybe if I change that I'll start living out the things I tell other people.

and yes, great topic!!

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

28 Dec 2008, 5:15 am

Acacia wrote:
Acacia wrote:
time is a human fabrication.

untrue: if time were only human, reality would not have grown, without time no causation

true only if you're talking about humanly timed expierence of time, in secondsminutes&c

Quote:
live right now :!:

[/quote]I wish I lived right now. Every now and again I remember to. And I love telling this to others who are bogged down in the illusion of time. But I can't say that I always follow my own advice. Why? Well... somehow or the other, I still don't seem to hardly know myself. So maybe if I change that I'll start living out the things I tell other people.

and yes, great topic!![/quote]

HOWEVER: psychologically:

voice David Bowie

happiness is happening, don't play the game of time
things that happened in the past only happen in your mind

so forget you're mind!,
and you'll be free-ee, the writing's on the wall,
free-ee, and you won't know at all
if you choose, remember lovers never lose

forget your mind and you'll be ...
free of thoughts unkind, free of thoughts unpure

Now still, i could not have remembered that by heart, if not for time

AND HOWEVER STILL, in comfort

voice Lou Reed
it's just a temporary thing

may your god forgive you

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 6:50 pm

I'm a huge hypocrite- in so many ways I can't even begin to innumerate (sp?).
But then, I think if everyone were as honest as me they'd see that they were as or nearly as hypocritical as I am. :wink:

chtucker18
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2009, 10:29 pm

im kind of a hypocrite, everybody is to different extremes

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 10:45 pm

i openly and whole-heartedly criticize athletes, without having the slightest intention in performing "better" myself.

my usual reply to "well, could YOU have done any better?"
is "no, and you dont see me trying either, do you?"

hypocricy is cool :)

Since
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2009, 10:46 pm

I try to espouse rationalism but I have my fair share of delusions, and I'm not nearly as polite as I say others should be, and I try to advocate giving people the benefit of the doubt but am wildly paranoid at times, and I think people should be less thin-skinned but I'm terrrified of people cursing me. That's an piece of syntax, which is another thing I'm against in others.
NocturnalQuilter: just go with "number", it means the same thing and is more fun to say.

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Feb 2009, 10:58 pm

I can begin to ennumerate.

- i often loll around in my own self-pity about how crap i am instead of trying to get better
- i say i'll try harder and then "forget to try," whatever that means
- i'll tell other people to focus on the stuff they have to do, which means i've lost focus on the stuff i have to do (seeing as i'm telling other people what to do instead)
- i tell him that she is so critical to me and that she keeps judging me and telling me what's wrong with me and how many faults she has...yea you get the hypocrisy
- i believe in helping people to the best of my ability, yet when push comes to shove i probably always go my own little selfish way.
- in a huge spasm of guilt i might say "so did you have an amazingly productive day?" even though i know i did the minimum amount of work required to be considered "productive"

plenty of others. come come we're all human, most of us

Whiteline
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2009, 11:47 pm

I dislike following orders and people who (think they can) domineer me , but always dominate and socially manipulate the people around me and intuitively, aggressively and subtly try to make people feel small in my prescence unless I really like them (if this doesn't work I ovbiously revert to "friendly" mode.)

Just as a sidenote, I'm incredibly good at this. There's nary anyone who hasn't spent a short time with me who doesn't like me or (in case of more weak-minded people) actually *look up* to me. The exceptions would be people like myself, and people who don't like people in general.

Now, being capable of this would in many people's eyes make me disqualified for any form of autistic condition, but the thing is I'm (paradoxially enough) an asocial self-centered loner (up till a few years ago), hypersensitive to noise and smell, nearsighted, and have comorbid OCD and ADD (This being the reason i got in touch with my theraphist). I also didn't develop any form of understanding of other people's emotions and motives until 7th grade or so. However, apart from my history of loneliness and odd behaviour, I can not only blend into society but be liked and respected more than the average person. Sometimes the self-centered and autocratic way I go about this makes me feel a little ashamed, however.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 12:03 am

Well, I DID get upset at the idea of people living beyond their means. To a degree, I am doing that. Of course, that situation is now a LOT better, and it simply means others got MORE money, in my case, so it is a bit different.

I used to work with the idea that I could take vacations, and provide for my retirement, and today it seems neither is likely.

I used to be VERY outspoken about wrongs done, EVEN when it would hurt ME! Today, I see situations that even hurt ME, and certainly will hurt others, but remain somewhat silent because it will make me a pariah, even if doing so will mean I will be hurt still more. Interesting that I should use the word 'pariah'. I just learned its etymology.

The TAX system automatically makes many Americans HYPOCRITES! Sometimes I think I should just try to convert to amish to do away with THAT garbage, but that in ITSELF would be hypocritical.

Normally, I try to do what I suggest, if applicable, etc... I don't like others calling me at odd times, making noise, etc... Accordingly, I don't bother THEM with any of that. I want others to be prompt, I try to be prompt. I want others to do a good job, I try to do a good job. I want others to be honest, I try to be honest. I want others to respect MY space, I try to respect theirs.

Iblis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2009, 12:22 am

The meat industry disgusts me deeply, yet I am not a vegetarian...

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 12:24 am

Iblis wrote:

yes yes!! !

i take comfort in the fact that, when all comes to all, the zebra suffers a LOT before the lion finally kills it.
:)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 12:29 am

I understand completely the theory of the subject of disability and discrimination when it comes to disability. And yet I still notice visibly disabled people more than I notice non-disabled people. If I were actually able to act on all the theory I know, and all the things I've experienced, I wouldn't still be uncomfortable around people who are disabled in other ways than autism; I wouldn't worry about saying or doing the wrong thing any more than I do with average NTs. Intellectually I know that disability doesn't make you all that different, at least no more different than I am for being autistic; and that all the stuff I've learned to communicate with NTs will still work, pretty much, but... somehow I still notice, too much, and that makes me worry that I might be a lot more prejudiced than I think.

That hypocritical enough for you?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 1:06 am

I tell my mom not to worry, but I worry a lot myself.

I tell my brother to stay in school, when I dropped out.

I'm mad at my brother in law for not working, but I don't have a job either.

I tell people I'm against homosexuality, but on the other hand I like looking at, writing about and drawing anime characters in homosexual situations. Though I suppose it's different to like something in fiction versus advocating it in real life, so I don't know if this really counts or not.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 7:10 am

Iblis wrote:

SAME HERE, but with ME it is because of carelessness, and stupidity, on their part.

It is like a peanut recall here. I doubt peanuts could ever be the source of Salmonella! The place should have been SHUT DOWN DAY ONE! Instead, many people died because it was kept open a few extra years. BTW it turns out that peanuts were NOT the source! It was caused because the fear expressed by Reuben in "Along Came Polly" a few years EARLIER, you know, the one that polly REALLY thought was ridiculous, about PEANUTS no less, was taken to about the ultimate level by PCA! The ONLY difference was MORE people were involved, they used BIG machines to spread it, and it happened earlier in the distribution of the peanuts.

BTW I hate the NUT industry ALSO, but I LOVE nuts.